Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

22 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

To be fair, at Christmas, if someone told me we'd scrape 36-40 points and stay up, I'd have kissed them and grabbed it. 

The fact we have 2 games to maybe sneak into Europe is crazy and shows what a mental season this has been and what a job Unai has done. 

Whatever the outcome, it's been an amazing last 5 months. 

What's weirder is our points total would have been easily enough for Europe already some years

• Like 1

Just now, AlwaysAVFC said:

Weird how you're brain works (that pessimism in you) 

I've gone from thinking a draw isn't the end of the world today to thinking we need to win to shut that Brentford door.

I'm thinking a 1-0 loss isn't terrible.

• Like 1

I watched the Arsenal v Brighton game and Brighton were very good. Then at Newcastle they were only losing by one goal until very near the end (and I imagine they were leaving gaps behind from pushing for an equaliser). But...

how on earth did they lose 5-1 at home to Everton?! Let's just hope they have another off day like that in this weekend's match and then the one in hand too as really we need them to fail to win both, which is unlikely but you never know. :s 

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

9 minutes? Yeah Spurs will get a penalty. They're going to do everything they can to rig it.

The game was over at 1-2, Spurs just gave up as soon as they went behind.

They're doing nothing at Leeds next week if they concede early in that type of atmosphere.

More worried in this form about Brentford beating a mix and match Man. City 11 with eyes on the cup final.

Dosen't change the formula though. They can beat Man. City 40-0 and we still finish above them if we beat Brighton.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Weird how you're brain works (that pessimism in you) 

I've gone from thinking a draw isn't the end of the world today to thinking we need to win to shut that Brentford door.

We beat Brighton next weekend and Brentford don't matter at all so that isn't a complicated formula at all.

Of course Spurs could still go to Leeds and win by a couple and then it would come down to GD unless we get something at Anfield/

Ultimately our chances are far more positive than two hours back.

Oh no! I just saw that Brighton's game tmrw is..  home to Southampton! Argh! 😑

If we lose today then I see us being at least 4 points behind the Seagulls when we play them. ☹️ So we just can't afford to lose today.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, robby b said:

If we lose today then I see us being at least 4 points behind the Seagulls when we play them. ☹️ So we just can't afford to lose today.

Yeah I think it's Spurs who we have a chance to catch. Gonna feel wrong to be hoping for a Leeds win in the last round if it means they stay up thou.

5 minutes ago, robby b said:

I'm happy with 7th thanks.

Brighton win and they pretty much secure 6th. Given all the games they've played in last month it will be much changed team and low intensity on final day given they can't finish any higher than that.

Just now, VillaChris said:

I'm happy with 7th thanks.

Brighton win and they pretty much secure 6th. Given all the games they've played in last month it will be much changed team and low intensity on final day given they can't finish any higher than that.

Yeah, who cares if it's 6th or 7th

Finishing sixth was always a loooooong shot, but whatever happens against Liverpool now we will still go into last game of the season with a not too unrealistic chance of finishing seventh. My previous formula proved to be accurate, we just needed one of Spurs, Liverpool, or Brighton to drop points this weekend and one of those has already happened, of course even better if could go and get a result ourselves or if Southampton could beat Brighton, but at least we've got something to play for on last day whatever happens.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We beat Brighton next weekend and Brentford don't matter at all so that isn't a complicated formula at all.

Of course Spurs could still go to Leeds and win by a couple and then it would come down to GD unless we get something at Anfield/

Ultimately our chances are far more positive than two hours back.

🤣🤣🤣  no chance that will happen, Leeds will fight and probably batter them. Spurs are terrible, Conte was right all along

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

🤣🤣🤣  no chance that will happen, Leeds will fight and probably batter them. Spurs are terrible, Conte was right all along

Leeds are as likely to be stupid enough to get a early red card and lose by 6 :D