Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

44 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Even if they lose those and and lose to us we need to beat Liverpool and them to get above them. Top 6 is 100% gone.

7th is there, if Spurs win we need a point at least form Liverpool or it's really over.

You can’t say Top 6 is 100% gone because at this very time with points on the board, Brighton are only 1 point ahead.  They are playing so well we expect them to get sixth or at least more points than us but by no means 100%.  They surely have to beat Saints but I thought that about them beating Everton so who knows, football sprouts up strange results.  If they screw up now it’s down to them screwing up rather than us being brilliant.  If only Newcastle and City beat them and somehow mysteriously saints get a point then doesn’t matter what happens at Anfield for us, it’s a straight shoot out unlikely as that scenario is there is still a chance.  I don’t think it’s likely and we are battling Spurs for 7th and I’d still be delighted with 8th but nothing is 100% done yet at all.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Is Brighton Southampton somewhat of a local derby as well?

Doesn't seem like it:

The second flaw is the claim that Brighton and Southampton have some sort of rivalry. For the Albion, the only rivals we care about are Crystal Palace and Saints fans only have eyes for Portsmouth. The closest things have ever got to a rivalry is when Poyet bizarrely tried to claim that Brighton fans should focus on Southampton instead of Palace.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You can’t say Top 6 is 100% gone because at this very time with points on the board, Brighton are only 1 point ahead.  They are playing so well we expect them to get sixth or at least more points than us but by no means 100%.  They surely have to beat Saints but I thought that about them beating Everton so who knows, football sprouts up strange results.  If they screw up now it’s down to them screwing up rather than us being brilliant.  If only Newcastle and City beat them and somehow mysteriously saints get a point then doesn’t matter what happens at Anfield for us, it’s a straight shoot out unlikely as that scenario is there is still a chance.  I don’t think it’s likely and we are battling Spurs for 7th and I’d still be delighted with 8th but nothing is 100% done yet at all.

Ok we've a ~6% chance of finishing in the top six as we're 16/1 to do so with the bookies = 1 / (16+1) = 5.88% implied probability

• Like 1

I expect we’ll end up 8th, maybe 7th but nothing is over yet. We’ve all been talking about Brighton beating Everton and Saints straightforward, then they went and lost to Everton.  I thought we’d beat Wolves and we lost.  Many thought we’d lose to Spurs and we won.  Many of us thought they would lose to Arsenal, they won easily.  Spurs are even less predictable.  I think some on here professing what will happen may eventually be right but the last few weeks have shown individual results sprout up many surprises and with less and less games remaining, each result becomes more significant. It’s not over until it’s over.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Ok we've a ~6% chance of finishing in the top six as we're 16/1 to do so with the bookies = 1 / (16+1) = 5.88% implied probability

giphy.gif

Sorry had to be done 😉

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah - 538 also gives us 5% chance of 6th, but.... 24% of 7th. (it's happening gif) 

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

So why are Brighton and Palace rivals? I assume there’s some history there, but they’re miles away from each other! 

I thought it was war kids being moved out of London but according to google apparently not, it's something to do with venables and some feisty games in the 70s that escalated and left a bad taste in the mouth of both clubs

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought it was war kids being moved out of London but according to google apparently not, it's something to do with venables and some feisty games in the 70s that escalated and left a bad taste in the mouth of both clubs

Wow, well there you go! Thanks for that 

53 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

So why are Brighton and Palace rivals? I assume there’s some history there, but they’re miles away from each other! 

Thankfully, the exact moment their rivalry began was recorded.

Warning - not for the faint hearted.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

You can’t say Top 6 is 100% gone because at this very time with points on the board, Brighton are only 1 point ahead.

Mathematically it isn't gone but it's a very big ask.

Even if we get 3pts on Saturday, we're still relying on Spurs and Brighton in their remaining games to drop points - regardless if we win at Anfield.

Unless Spurs have a poor finish, we will end up 8th.  Some might be disappointed, but we will benefit in the long run.

With potentially 5 CL spots next season and no European football to contend with, we can push for CL, same as Newcastle are doing this season.

Swings and Roundabouts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Unless Spurs have a poor finish, we will end up 8th.  Some might be disappointed, but we will benefit in the long run.

With potentially 5 CL spots next season and no European football to contend with, we can push for CL, same as Newcastle are doing this season.

Swings and Roundabouts.

I'm not really that fuzzed about conference tbh.

8th or 7th I'm feeling a little indifferent about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I'm not really that fuzzed about conference tbh.

8th or 7th I'm feeling a little indifferent about it.

Same. Europe would be nice but would prefer Emery having the chance to prepare for league games every week without all the extra Thursday night games.  Both Leicester and West Ham dropped off massively in the league whilst in Europe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Mathematically it isn't gone but it's a very big ask.

Even if we get 3pts on Saturday, we're still relying on Spurs and Brighton in their remaining games to drop points - regardless if we win at Anfield.

Only +2 GD with Spurs (they have a bigger Goals For) so WHEN we win 5-0 at Anfield and 6-0 against Brighton, and Spurs struggle with 2-0 wins in their games, we finish above them on GD😁

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

According to  your calculations i have a 3.23% implied probability of my wife giving me cuddles tonight...never give up!