Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

45 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Brentford forum is confident they will get a result against both Spurs and City, and we lose to Liverpool would mean if both us and Spurs only pick up 1 point in last game, Brentford would leapfrog both us and SPurs on goal difference.

Not an impossible scenario.

Very unlikely though 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AVTuco said:

It was all in our hands. Lose to wolves and now it's not. That was a sad game.

It kinda, sorta is still in our hands. As long as we match Spurs' results and we can better their score by 3 goals, we finish above them. I grant that that is not the easiest thing to achieve - another 7-2 over Liverpool would definitely help.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats bizarre is demot Gallagher is saying it was a definite penalty.

Are we being biased or something? As that looked the most blatent cheating to get a pen from someone notorious for it

I reckon so. I’m a bit surprised so many posters here don’t think it was a penalty to be honest.

He looks to just about be onside when he starts his run, Martinez doesn’t get the ball and does impede him. Yes, Kane could have jumped over him and he definitely leaves his feet trailing to catch him, so he’s looking for it, but it’s still a penalty.

If Watkins did the same thing, I think all of us would be saying it was a penalty. Of course, the ref wouldn’t have given it to us, but that’s a different story.

I think we will beat Brighton at home on the last day but Liverpool away is so tough to call. It will probably suit us that Liverpool will play on the attack so there is a chance that we can do them on the counter. 

I fancy Brentford to take something from Spurs and if Leeds are not already relegated come the last day, that will be a tough match for them too. Two draws for Spurs is a real possibility.. meaning that we could just need one win  to sneak in.

But just to be safe, Emery should plan for two 5-0 wins from our last two games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I think it’s delusional…even City’s second team are one of the best in the league and will be playing without any pressure and arguably some will be playing hard to get picked for the CL and FA cup final, the likes of Foden, Alvarez, Silva to just now a few of many.  Brentford aren’t winning both games imo and both us and Spurs only get 1 point.

I disagree, they won’t want to be picking up injuries and risk being unavailable for both.

Also, Brentford are one of the few teams to have actually beat City in the league this season, they certainly are capable of doing it against (a second strength) City team again.

11 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I can’t believe that we are still in the conversation with only two game’s remaining. That in itself is a massive achievement. 

100% it’s been a great season, and actually, whatever happens this weekend we’ll go into the last game of the season with a mathematical chance of making it. Incredible. 

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

100% it’s been a great season, and actually, whatever happens this weekend we’ll go into the last game of the season with a mathematical chance of making it. Incredible. 

Best points tally since before I went to university in 2010. So many ruined weekends over the last 13 years, thank you to Don Unai and the players for making us believe again. Let's get over the line and grab 7th! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I disagree, they won’t want to be picking up injuries and risk being unavailable for both.

Also, Brentford are one of the few teams to have actually beat City in the league this season, they certainly are capable of doing it against (a second strength) City team again.

Fair enough, we’ll just have to wait and see.  Can’t see Pep letting them playing softer.

Bet you though, all the talk will be it’s the last opportunity for the players to get a finals spot with Pep watching.  If they go soft they won’t be playing in the finals, Pep won’t pick a fringe player if they don’t perform in the previous game ie Brentford

Edited by nick76

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough, we’ll just have to wait and see.  Can’t see Pep letting them playing softer.

Bet you though, all the talk will be it’s the last opportunity for the players to get a finals spot with Pep watching.  If they go soft they won’t be playing in the finals, Pep won’t pick a fringe player if they don’t perform in the previous game ie Brentford

It’ll be the likes of Cole Palmer, Rico Lewis and probably Kelvin Phillips starting. They aren’t staring a CL final no matter how good they play.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's been fun though.

Going back to Everton away and we've now won 9 of our last 13 prem games. Considering the general standard of the league now where likes of Brighton, Fulham and Brentford are capable of producing european quality football that is some achievement.

I remember years back posters on here saying they'd prefer to stay down as it was far more exciting winning ten straight in championship against likes of Bolton and Rotherham. Now we're having similar runs and taking out Chelsea and Spurs.

Think how bad we got conditioned people to think we'd never ever be a serious force at premier league level again yet it's only taken 3-4 years and I think we could've got here sooner if we hadn't appointed Gerrard.

At least Emery coming in has really raised standards in the stands so a good start to next season and the sky really is the limit for us.

Oh yes, definitely has been great whatever happens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It’ll be the likes of Cole Palmer, Rico Lewis and probably Kelvin Phillips starting. They aren’t staring a CL final no matter how good they play.

Played Foden and Mahrez yesterday who wont be starting Wednesday. They would be starting last game if a dead rubber

36 minutes ago, duke313 said:

But Foden, Silva, Laporte, Alvarez, Akanji, Ake might all be fighting to get a start in one of the finals.  With Ake, Akanji fighting for left back, Akanji and Laporte for centre back…Stones playing where and who misses out.  Can Foden get back in, unlikely at this late stage but maybe major minutes, same with Silva and Alvarez.  A few spots to be decided in the finals so a few games to stand out for these non-definites in the last few PL games.

Edited by nick76

2 hours ago, wict01 said:

Best points tally since before I went to university in 2010. So many ruined weekends over the last 13 years, thank you to Don Unai and the players for making us believe again. Let's get over the line and grab 7th! 

You've just reminded me, so worth saying here: Pat Murphy, reporting on the game at the weekend for 5Live, said the atmosphere at VP was the best he'd witnessed in over a decade. We're finally out of the wilderness and have something to cheer again, so for that alone I salute Don Unai.

(Pat Murphy is Midlands football commentating royalty, for those who don't know.)

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats bizarre is demot Gallagher is saying it was a definite penalty.

Are we being biased or something? As that looked the most blatent cheating to get a pen from someone notorious for it

Your first error is to give credit to anything Dermot Gallagher says. He was a useless referee in his day, epitomised by his failure to red card Ben Thatcher for his assault on Pedro Mendes. He pretty much always backs his buddies from PGMOL because it is the code they all adhere to.

Your second error is to watch Sky who pander to all the SL6, and would be happiest if they were all winning every week.

Did they mention why Ollie Watkins foul wasn’t given as a penalty? If I were a betting man I would say not. 

Leicester 0 li VAR pool 2

At least the 2nd goal was offside, multiple replays from various angles all showing he was offside but guess what ?

Ok we would have needed them to lose this and their last 2 games and us to win both our games but it becomes very difficult when certain teams get treated very differently.

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Leicester 0 li VAR pool 2

At least the 2nd goal was offside, multiple replays from various angles all showing he was offside but guess what ?

Ok we would have needed them to lose this and their last 2 games and us to win both our games but it becomes very difficult when certain teams get treated very differently.

Evans heel was playing him onside.