Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

That final day game at Villa Park could be just absolutely ginormous - I'm going to need an ambulance on standby.

Here's a question for you.

Do you think today that we're more likely to qualify for Europe than we will be next season or less likely?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That final day game at Villa Park could be just absolutely ginormous - I'm going to need an ambulance on standby.

Do you think today that we're more likely to qualify for Europe than we will be next season or less likely?

The same!

We have an opportunity this season because we’ve been on an exceptional run but have come from way back due to Gerrard so always on catch up.  Additionally Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea have had poor seasons and hopefully we’ll finish above two of those.

Next season we will be better but I expect Liverpool and Chelsea to be much much better, Spurs are the unknown.  

So easier this season but we started late and big teams have been poor compared to revival of some of those teams next season but we’ll also be better. So about the same.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

good question. On the one hand more time more Emery more challenging at the right end of the table + additions

but then on the flip side more of the others being competative. like will chelsea be better, and liverpool etc in a less disrupted season.

Im gonna say more likely next season. I think it's sustainable.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mmm tough question but an interesting one. I honestly can’t see any of the teams above us being any worse off next season, apart from Spurs maybe if they lose Kane for instance? However, will they have a new manager bounce and improve again possibly?

Then we have Chelsea and Liverpool. Will they drop as many points next season? Doubtful you would say. Brighton look to be getting better and better in spite of having various players poached.

That top six and top four bracket is incredibly hard to breach but seeing Newcastle gives me hope. They recruited well last summer and have pushed on well, which makes me think we can follow suit and emulate? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

We've already won haven't we. We've got Emery, we've got away from the bottom half, we've got a style, we've got our swagger back, we've got hope.

But we've also got this opportunity. And, it's one where we can have an effect on what happens to us.

There's nothing to be disappointed about.

Exactly. The fact that Europe is realistic this season alone is remarkable. Whilst it would be disappointing to miss out - it’s in our hands. If we can be this high up the league with a small squad - we can only look upwards and move forward when Emery gets the summer window and pre-season.

The fact that we have something exciting and meaningful to see out until the final day is a massive show of progress. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

@VILLAMARV pretty much says what I think.

Argument for more likely next season - Emery pre season, a few high quality additions, 38 games with Emery in charge.

Argument for less likely next season - Chelsea, Spurs, to an extent Liverpool, probably won’t be quite as bad as they have been this season.

On balance, I think there’s slightly more chance next season. Can’t overstate how much of a hindrance the first quarter of the season was to this European push. So many points sacrificed.

And while I think they won’t be in quite as much of a mess next season, Spurs and Chelsea don’t worry me much. Admittedly I don’t know the situation with Brighton, but it comes across like they may need to fight to keep their top players.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Good question, we have an opportunity for conference league/Europa League now. A full season of Emery's amazing PPG though and maybe that will be an opportunity for CL next season. Then again though, if we qualify this year it's a lot of games. Could take it's toll on league form...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Underestimating Brighton IMO

Not really. Arsenal and Newcastle are away, very unlikely to take anything from those. Man City is at home but it's Man City, again unlikely they get anything. They may beat Man Utd who are the weakest of those teams but I'd be very surprised to see Brighton do the double over them, as I would to see us do the double over them too which is why I've gone for a loss today (best case I reckon is we draw today which I'd be happy with). 

I know it's popular to treat Brighton as football royalty and world beaters but whilst they have some cracking players like Caicedo and McCallister and play good football they also have some very average players in their team, I mean Danny Welbeck who must be well into his 30s is still starting for them. March has had a great season but is a very limited footballer outside of his incredible stamina. If we had Newcastle and Arsenal away and Man City at home still to play I'd predict losses for us too. The only result I've maybe been a bit harsh is Man U home but like I said I can't see Brighton doing the double over them. Let's wait and see anyhow and see who is correct. 

Was chatting to one of the many Liverpool fans I know. he expects them to get top 4 this year and while he's realistic that it's a long shot and joked with me about his sense of entitlement he was deadly serious and I remembered how much the rest are all, to some degree playing under a weight of expectancy which we are not.

Don't get me wrong Emery expects 110% and all that but the mood is very different.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Apparently Wolves are going to turn up against us because Portuguese players really care about a historic Midlands derby 

Comments like this are so stupid.

As if the players nationality has ever had any bearing on a derby game. You think Villa would now not be up for a game against Wolves because Emi Martinez is our keeper? Or Douglas Luiz is in the middle of the pitch?

The fans make the atmosphere more intense. That’s what drives a derby and impacts the players - not where they’re from for **** sake. 

Edited by bobzy

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Comments like this are so stupid.

As if the players nationality has ever had any bearing on a derby game. You think Villa would now not be up for a game against Wolves because Emi Martinez is our keeper? Or Douglas Luiz is in the middle of the pitch?

The fans make the atmosphere more intense. That’s what drives a derby and impacts the players - not where they’re from for **** sake. 

I stand by it. Wolves players on the beach against Brighton. No reason to think they won't be next week

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What I haven't really thought too much about is how a European competition next year will put added pressure on us at a time when the consensus being that Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs etc will probably be much more competitive.  If we get Europe this year, we could easily finish 10th the following season and people will probably want Emery sacked

1 minute ago, Adman said:

What I haven't really thought too much about is how a European competition next year will put added pressure on us at a time when the consensus being that Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs etc will probably be much more competitive.  If we get Europe this year, we could easily finish 10th the following season and people will probably want Emery sacked

If my auntie had a penis... what's with these constant negative hypotheticals about future events on here? Don't get Europe because bad things might happen. FMD let's just go back to the Championship and have a kickabout

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think if we get Europe this season, we’ve no chance of getting Europe next season. The extra games will kill us next season, and the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool will recover. Miss out this season and then next season will be a decent chance, with hopefully a better squad and more integration of Unai’s methods.

So in essence, I’m not really bothered about finishing 7th to get the UEFA conference league place - it’s just a handicap for next season. A UEFA league place from 6th or 5th would be nicer, but still a handicap, though offset by the joy of a top 6 finish.

It’s the progress I like best. Promoted, stay up, 11th, then a step back last season, but more progress this season. Nice.

• Like 1