Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I'm hoping for a Liverpool win - I think Spurs are brittle.

This. We need one team to shit the bed over the last few games and I think Spurs are the best bet for this, especially after Brighton demolished Wolves yesterday. That said, a narrow win for Liverpool so they don't build up too much confidence would also be good. 

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

I know, and it was already better. Didn’t matter if they beat wolves 1-0 or 6-0

So you think it was already impossible for us to catch their GD despite them playing against difficult opponents including us?

5 minutes ago, sne said:

So you think it was already impossible for us to catch their GD despite them playing against difficult opponents including us?

Not impossible but a ten-goal swing would've been incredibly difficult to get given how Brighton play. It's not really worth factoring in tbh, we just need more points than them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Not impossible but a ten-goal swing would've been incredibly difficult to get given how Brighton play. It's not really worth factoring in tbh, we just need more points than them.

Yeah, and again. It's like an extra point advantage they have against us that after the 6-0 we will never catch. IF they start losing now their GD will take a hit as well and our game against them it might have been doable if not for that trouncing of Wolves.

Anyway, here's hoping we do our part and that Spurs don't find some pride.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, and again. It's like an extra point advantage they have against us that after the 6-0 we will never catch. IF they start losing now their GD will take a hit as well and our game against them it might have been doable if not for that trouncing of Wolves.

Anyway, here's hoping we do our part and that Spurs don't find some pride.

The good news is that we're facing the teams around us before the season ends, so we have quite a lot of say in the matter and if we do make Europe, we'll 100% have earned it. 

Regardless, I'd snatch anyone's hand off if they offered me 7th and guaranteed Europe right now. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I was thinking about Newcastle and the way in which they are developing with all that money - I think they'll finish 4th this season - they might not manage that next season, even with a huge spend - but, the likelihood is that they'll be a more secure, more genuine 5th, a squad that belongs there rather than a well balanced side with a good plan that had a good season.

I think the same might be true for us - we might be 8th next season, but a more secure, more genuine 8th, one that has a separation from the Brentford's and Brighton's, one that is a genuine threat for 7th - a side strong enough to belong - it's kind of what West Ham didn't manage to do, they rode their luck and it ran out.

I think progress might not look like a big diagonal on a graph of league placings and I think we can make big strides next season and finish 8th - but I think if we were to qualify for Europe this season, we can get a big head start on it - winning the Europa Conference might be easier than finishing 6th in the Premier League next season and if we can get in, then it'll be a huge boost for the growth of the club.

I think we're on the edge of an enormous opportunity, that game against Brighton on the last day could yet be something absolutely incredible.

I think you're underrating Brighton and Brentford who have been on a severe upward curve for many years.

It's likely they finish above Spurs or Newcastle or us, or whoever chooses to have an off season from the top table in the next few years IMO.

Brighton flexed their muscles yesterday by resting their three best players (who will all leave within 2 years) and obliterating Wolves, who I'll be delighted to beat 1-0 next week.

38 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

So. In summary, who am I cheering for this afternoon between Liverpool and spurs ? Going to pub to watch match with a spurs fan and a Liverpool fan and need to set my stall out early!

I would be happy to see these draw.

If a team was to win this, I would like Spurs to win of which I think would be more of an advantage for us in the run in.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think you're underrating Brighton and Brentford who have been on a severe upward curve for many years..

I think if Toney gets a long suspension Brentford might be worth a crafty bet for relegation next season - this league is brutal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If a team was to win this, I would like Spurs to win of which I think would be more of an advantage for us in the run in.

How so?

You think Spurs are the team more likely to stretch away from us?

47 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm hoping for a Liverpool win - I think Spurs are brittle.

Yep. Finishing above Spurs is our only realistic hope of getting 7th and a place in Europe. 

A point against Man United today and Spurs losing would be an excellent weekend.

As for Brighton, the amount of disrespect they are shown on these forums is unbelievable. They are apparently "very likely" to struggle bevauer they've got to play the top 4. People have clearly not been paying attention.

Brighton are an excellent side who bounced back from their blip at Forest with bigger win than we've had in over a decade. I cannot see how they won't finish above us. 

Liverpool have found form and have a fairly easy run in and they too will likely finish above us.

That just leaves Spurs and we need to be in a position to be able to go above them when we play them but even then, we still have to play Liverpool and Brighton as well as an away derby.

I've never thought we would get Europe and still don't, we were starting from way too far back, meaning we need to win every game and that's just not viable.

The amount of backslapping and "told you so's" on this forum after we beat Newcastle was really unnerving and way too premature.

Not saying we can't finish 7th, just that it's unlikely and I for one won't be annoyed at the players if we miss out as its been a hell of a season.*

*I will blame Gerrard though. 

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

How so?

You think Spurs are the team more likely to stretch away from us?

No. I think between Liverpool and Spurs, Spurs are the easier of the two for us when we come to play these two.

If Spurs can take points off Liverpool today it would be a great help for us - Liverpool have a game in hand over us too.

So I think getting a result against Liverpool will be harder than getting a result against Spurs, so any points the former are able to drop is an advantage and would work in our favour. I don't fear Spurs whatsoever.

That being said, we still need to win our games regardless.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No. I think between Liverpool and Spurs, Spurs are the easier of the two for us when we come to play these two.

If Spurs can take points off Liverpool today it would be a great help for us - Liverpool have a game in hand over us too.

So I think getting a result against Liverpool will be harder than getting a result against Spurs, so any points the former are able to drop is an advantage and would work in our favour. I don't fear Spurs whatsoever.

That being said, we still need to win our games regardless.

I kinda get that - for me I'm working on the principle that we need to finish above one of the three teams we're up against - I can understand where you're coming from though in terms of finishing above all of them.

Personally, I'd let Liverpool go, hope they win every game except against us and then pick off either Brighton, Spurs or both.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I kinda get that - for me I'm working on the principle that we need to finish above one of the three teams we're up against - I can understand where you're coming from though in terms of finishing above all of them.

Personally, I'd let Liverpool go, hope they win every game except against us and then pick off either Brighton, Spurs or both.

Yes. Also a viable scenatio. There are so many ways this could go.

As a whole, it's a bloody great position to be in at this stage of the season and to still be discussing the possibility of finishing in a European spot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That final day game at Villa Park could be just absolutely ginormous - I'm going to need an ambulance on standby.

Here's a question for you.

Do you think today that we're more likely to qualify for Europe than we will be next season or less likely?

Obviously more likely because most of the season has gone and we are where we are.