Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Buzzing for our team now the papers and SSN reporting on our quality and competing against the elite. Although it would be bonkers, a few started to talk about us as top 4 challengers due to our outrageous form under Emery.

I think in reality most would be over the moon with a 7th place finish in the conference, real Europa League football might be a bit of stretch for us next season with our squad, an I'm guessing we'll want to prioritise staying at least around top 8 all season for the next campaign. 

I actually think that because of an expectation that we'd have more opportunities for the yoof prospects and getting big eyes over winning it I'd prefer the ECL over the EL...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Are we in position of the conference league spot at present ? I know the league cup winners get the spot but United won’t need it. Does it go to the league cup runner up ( Newcastle also probably won’t need it ) or goes one more place down the league ? I’d welcome it, wholeheartedly. Be a great introduction back to european football. Some top teams and some very beatable teams in it. 

The league, same as the FA cup

One of my funnest villa facts, the first year they gave the runner up of the FA Cup a European place was 2004, villa finished 6th and missed out on europe (Millwall got it) the year they took it away from the FA Cup runner up was the year we lost the final to arsenal

Insert that gif of the little boy laughing then crying

• Like 2

Don Unai wants champion league. It’s not in our hands yet but once it is ……

One word of warning to the opposition  - next season it’s in our hands from the start. These performances , expectations and standards are here to stay. 

• Like 1

Just listening to TalkSport in the car and they were raving about us.  Don’t know who was talking but I’m not used to so many non-Villa fans over the last day both talking about us to start with and then talking about us in such a positive manner.

• Like 2

Really tough to call the end of the season. I think Spurs are the team to catch right now, they've got a tough run in and they look awful. Liverpool are a danger, two games in hand, favourable fixtures and a team that could quite easily find some form. With injuries to Rashford, Varane and Martinez Manure could well get dragged into it but I think they might just have enough points on the board and enough winnable games to be out of reach for us.

We really need to take some points from Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton.

Whatever happens though it's been an incredible turnaround and if we end up falling short it needs to be remembered that it's the fault of a certain gobby scouser and not the players or the current manager.

You have to say Brighton with their two games in hand and the way they are playing would be favourites above us. Last game of the season could well be pivotal on us getting Europa League. 

Champs league I think is a bridge to far.

Enjoying the ride, makes a change from battling relegation. 

UTV 

6 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Really tough to call the end of the season. I think Spurs are the team to catch right now, they've got a tough run in and they look awful. Liverpool are a danger, two games in hand, favourable fixtures and a team that could quite easily find some form. With injuries to Rashford, Varane and Martinez Manure could well get dragged into it but I think they might just have enough points on the board and enough winnable games to be out of reach for us.

We really need to take some points from Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton.

Whatever happens though it's been an incredible turnaround and if we end up falling short it needs to be remembered that it's the fault of a certain gobby scouser and not the players or the current manager.

We could easily be in position go ahead of Spurs if we beat them 

54 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Brentford also have only won once in their last 7 games, and that was against Southampton. And twice in their last 10 (the other win Vs Fulham)

It'll be a difficult game and they always do well against us.

But they're there for the taking.

We beat them 4-0 and lost 4-0 to Newcastle under Danks so if my maths is right we should win 11-0

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Brentford are winless in last 5 games, lost 3 on bounce so far. Last win was against Southampton on 15th March and they lost to Everton the game before that. So 1 win in 7 and 4 losses

They are on the beach. The players think the job is done now they are safe. Normally I would be worried that our players would  underestimate the opposition in these circumstances , but emery won't let that happen. 

13 minutes ago, Adman said:

Let's win our last 7 games and see where that gets us 👍😁👍

Before Emery I would have diagnosed you as clinically insane but with him onboard we might actually do that.

What a world we live in right now.

Brentford won’t make up 7 points on us in 7 games. So I think top 8 is locked in. We are ‘realistically’ 7th now (Brighton can overtake us with a single point from two games in hand; Liverpool can also catch us with games in hand but let’s not be overly pessimistic). Looking up, overtaking Spurs is very doable - Newcastle a lot harder but not impossible. So I guess 7th is still the most likely outcome. But if we just keep winning, especially as we play everyone around us, anything is possible.

The only thing that can derail this run is if one of Martinez, Mings, Dougie, or Watkins goes down with injury. We keep our spine fit and firing and we should be favored in every game til the end of the season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Brentford won’t make up 7 points on us in 7 games. So I think top 8 is locked in. We are ‘realistically’ 7th now (Brighton can overtake us with a single point from two games in hand; Liverpool can also catch us with games in hand but let’s not be overly pessimistic). Looking up, overtaking Spurs is very doable - Newcastle a lot harder but not impossible. So I guess 7th is still the most likely outcome. But if we just keep winning, especially as we play everyone around us, anything is possible.

Spurs look like they’re in free fall, we could be 3 points aHead of them after next two games, we have Brentford and Fulham, they have Newcastle and Man U.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, burchy said:

Before Emery I would have diagnosed you as clinically insane but with him onboard we might actually do that.

What a world we live in right now.

I say it with tongue in cheek, but I actually now believe anything is possible.  To turn the team that got destroyed by Newcastle 4-0 into a team that just battered them for 90 mins in every department just makes me feel we can beat anyone. 

Also the pressure is off us and on everyone else, if we can keep our foot down - other teams will be nervously looking over their shoulders.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

The only thing that can derail this run is if one of Martinez, Mings, Dougie, or Watkins goes down with injury. We keep our spine fit and firing and we should be favored in every game til the end of the season. 

We said that when Kamara was out but we are still rolling.  At some point it would hit us but we are coping so far.

• Like 1