Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I still feel we'll end 8th. If we're to make top 7 we need to beat Brentford and Fulham

8th is what my head has been saying the whole time.

However, Unai keeps destroying my perceptions and expectations.

Beating Newcastle has definitely increased my level of belief. ( I expected us to lose or draw )

IF we can keep the level of performance we had yesterday, we can legit brush alot of teams aside.

Key is to match / better Brightons points haul until last day of the season and then turn them over.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

We’d need to win 5 of the last 7

15 points from 7 games, slightly over 2 ppg is normal service under Emery ;)

Not saying it'll continue, but I'm in the the very unusual position of that not being a total pipe dream, as Unai has done it over what, 18 games?

Bonkers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Brentford have only lost twice at home all season. It'll be a tough game

How many games had Newcastle lost all season? Emery cares not for such things.

Brentford haven’t won in 5 games, and are all but out of the race for Europe. We will put them to the sword.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

8th is what my head has been saying the whole time.

However, Unai keeps destroying my perceptions and expectations.

Beating Newcastle has definitely increased my level of belief.

7th is in our hands, continue to play at our current level till the end of the season and 6th is possible too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Brentford have only lost twice at home all season. It'll be a tough game

Of course yet see below...

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

How many games had Newcastle lost all season? Emery cares not for such things.

Brentford haven’t won in 5 games, and are all but out of the race for Europe. We will put them to the sword.

Exactly, you beat me to it.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t believe I have to support Leeds tomorrow, feels so dirty but if they can somehow beat Liverpool that would be such a blow for the red Scouse and great for us.

My biggest worry is that we do all the hard work reeling Newcastle, Spurs and United in, then Liverpool beat us and leapfrog us into the euro spots.

29 minutes ago, duke313 said:

My biggest worry is that we do all the hard work reeling Newcastle, Spurs and United in, then Liverpool beat us and leapfrog us into the euro spots.

So be it.  It would be incredibly frustrating but we are giving it all, we are enjoyable to watch and we are getting results we weren’t expecting.  We can’t control the future and we came from such far back to even be competitive for these spots now is amazing.  I’ve stopped worrying, I’m just going to enjoy each game and wherever we end up then so be it.  Gerrard screwed us, there is just hope for the future and if not this season, although would be disappointing seeing as we’ve come so close then we are gunning for next season.  

I’m just going to focus on each week and not worry about the big picture of the end of season because there are too many possible outcomes.  

This week was focus on…

Beat Newcastle ✅

Chelsea/Brighton - either draw or Chelsea win ❌

Spurs Lose ✅

Brentford Lose ✅

Fulham Lose ✅

Liverpool Lose 🙏

So apart from Brighton it’s been a good week so far!

edit: idiot that I am, Fulham won!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So be it.  It would be incredibly frustrating but we are giving it all, we are enjoyable to watch and we are getting results we weren’t expecting.  We can’t control the future and we came from such far back to even be competitive for these spots now is amazing.  I’ve stopped worrying, I’m just going to enjoy each game and wherever we end up then so be it.  Gerrard screwed us, there is just hope for the future and if not this season, although would be disappointing seeing as we’ve come so close then we are gunning for next season.  

I’m just going to focus on each week and not worry about the big picture of the end of season because there are too many possible outcomes.  

This week was focus on…

Beat Newcastle ✅

Chelsea/Brighton - either draw or Chelsea win ❌

Spurs Lose ✅

Brentford Lose ✅

Fulham Lose ✅

Liverpool Lose 🙏

So apart from Brighton it’s been a good week so far!

Fulham beat Everton 3 1

We need forest to win and Leeds to win or draw with the poo.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t believe I have to support Leeds tomorrow, feels so dirty but if they can somehow beat Liverpool that would be such a blow for the red Scouse and great for us.

A 0 - 0 game, resulting in half a dozen 3 match bans for 3 players per side, is fine for us.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, birdistheword said:

To even be in the conversation is incredible.

I think Liverpool will get 5th and it’ll be between us, Brighton and Spurs for 6th, 7th and 8th.

Liverpool could well get 4th. They should win all their games for remainder of season. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Brighton beating Chelsea was a sign they are too good to not capitalise on their games in hand. 

I'd go as far and say that Chelsea are one of the worst teams in the division at the minute and I wish we could play them every week between now and the end of the season.

I think the extra games will catch up with Brighton.

Caicedo was dead on his feet yesterday going into 70 - 80 minutes cramping up and McAllister was no better and they are their best players.

Edited by AshVilla

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Liverpool could well get 4th. They should win all their games for remainder of season. 

Nope, they have to play us yet, if they win 8 out of their 9 games and we win 7 out of our 7, they can't catch us.

Buzzing for our team now the papers and SSN reporting on our quality and competing against the elite. Although it would be bonkers, a few started to talk about us as top 4 challengers due to our outrageous form under Emery.

I think in reality most would be over the moon with a 7th place finish in the conference, real Europa League football might be a bit of stretch for us next season with our squad, an I'm guessing we'll want to prioritise staying at least around top 8 all season for the next campaign. 

Spurs and United are the ones to watch. Their goal differences are possible for us to cstch

United have 2 games in hand so 2 wins there and they're 12 points ahead and out of sight. 

But, should they not win today Vs Forest, their game in hand is against Brighton, with a Chelsea game still to schedule. 

They then have Maguire and Lindelof or Phil Jones at CB and anything could happen. If we wind up 7 points behind them, with no Rashford and a make-shift defence - plus we still have to play them.

That's our road to Champions League football

Are we in position of the conference league spot at present ? I know the league cup winners get the spot but United won’t need it. Does it go to the league cup runner up ( Newcastle also probably won’t need it ) or goes one more place down the league ? I’d welcome it, wholeheartedly. Be a great introduction back to european football. Some top teams and some very beatable teams in it.