Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

6 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Brighton will have 3 games in hand as they don't play a PL game next weekend. Hopefully we can go 4 points clear. 
Brighton and Manchester United have a fixture pile up . And its not like they can rest key players because the games are so important. Injuries are starting to mount up (Rashford, Varane, Martinez, Ferguson).  

Brighton vs Man United (Fa Cup)- Sun 23rd April
Nottingham Forest vs Brighton - Wed 26th April
Brighton vs Wolves- Sat 29th April
Brighton vs Man United - Thu 4th May
Brighton vs Everton- Monday 8th May

I honestly think they'll drop points at Forest. FA cup SF will take plenty of effort out of them regardless of result so Forest away is type of game they could be flat in against team desperate to stay up.

Hopefully Wolves can go there and grind their way to a 1-1 as I think they'll win their other two home games.

They've still got to fit Man. City and Newcastle into the final two weeks, crazy schedule for them. Will be running fumes if they make the FA cup final.

39 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I don't think everyone realizes how much luck we need to finish 4th...  We would need 4 of Brighton, Man United, Newcastle, Liverpool, and Spurs to completely capitulate in their run ins, while we need to not drop more than 3 points during ours.  I just don't see that happening.  Maybe Liverpool and Spurs fail to impress while Newcastle falls off a little, but I don't see Brighton losing any of their games beside Arsenal and Man City before we play them in the last game of the season.  We essentially need Southampton and Forest to suddenly find form and start beating the teams around us.  

It's most likely that we'll be playing Brighton on the last game of the season where the winner gets a Europa League place.  

Not exactly, a lot of them have to play each other:

Newcastle vs Spurs

Sours vs Man Utd

Liverpool vs Spurs

Brighton vs Man Utd

They can’t all win. And that’s not to mention games vs Man City, Arsenal, or us.

• Like 1

The really fun aspect of this Europe push is that all these other games that have ramifications are must-watch events too, not just our games.

I can get used to this high stakes spring football...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I would like if both of us make Europe at expense of "big name" clubs

To us, and Brighton, any kind of European football would be exciting for the fans and a sign of progression for the clubs and players. For Liverpool and Spurs anything other than CL is a sign of a failed season and their fans would have little interest.

Villa and Brighton please oh footballing gods!

I think Spurs are the most likely to fall away. Their defence is poor and outside Kane and a recently resurgent Son they struggle for goals. Tactically they seem a mess, there is no harmony in the team and the fans are restless.

Liverpool will probably catch up, they have a favourable fixture list, they are the team most likely of putting a strong run together and they are a force at home. They are brittle in midfield but I get the sense with no other distractions they will finish strong. I'd say going to Anfield is our toughest remaining game. I fancy us much more at Old Trafford. 

As others have mentioned Brighton have a tough schedule, a lot of games and are already losing players to injuries. However whoever comes into their side tends to perform as everyone knows the system. It's hard to say though, injuries will play a large part in who finishes where, I think we will be within points of one another though.

As well as we are playing I don't think we can catch Newcastle and Man Utd, it's a nice thought though and I hope I'm wrong.

Brentford are probably falling out the equation to but it's a extremely tough game for us there next weekend. The away grounds we have to go to in our run in are probably some of the toughest to go to, however we have proved recently we can get a result near enough anywhere. 

• Like 1

Free to read article from The Athletic that predicts (prior to Newcastle) we will finish 8th. 3rd hardest run-in, poor comparative goal difference, mid-table statistics and so on. It's just another example of how under the radar we are. 

Beat United and Spurs, get something at Anfield, and this article will look very different.

16 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Free to read article from The Athletic that predicts (prior to Newcastle) we will finish 8th. 3rd hardest run-in, poor comparative goal difference, mid-table statistics and so on. It's just another example of how under the radar we are. 

Beat United and Spurs, get something at Anfield, and this article will look very different.

They keep ignoring momentum and team spirit which are worth more than any other metrics

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

We need to get some bodies back in the team from injuries hopefully this coming week and then let's take it game by game.

If team that started today played bulk of minutes rest of season I wouldn't complain. Not really fussed bar Kamara and rather Mcginn stays in Bailey spot

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

They keep ignoring momentum and team spirit which are worth more than any other metrics

Absolutely. And somewhat ignores the genius at the helm.

According to this, we have the most difficult run in to the end of the season of all the teams. ( I'd suggest that our upcoming opposition's difficulty ratings should now go up though 😎 )

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/difficulty-of-aston-villas-remaining-fixtures-confirmed-by-opta/

The Difficulty of Aston Villa’s remaining fixtures

After MOMS previously analysed Aston Villa’s remaining fixtures in terms of their opponents’ respective home and away Points Per Game, that led to the conclusion Villa face the hardest Premier League run-in, Opta have issued a table that backs up that conclusion.

Based on the average Opta power ranking (basically, how well the team is recently doing in form, etc) of each remaining opponent, the below table puts Aston Villa clearly on top in terms of the Premier League’s hardest run-in on a score of 33.8.

Nottingham Forest, who dropped into the Premier League’s bottom three after a 2-0 defeat at Villa Park, have the second hardest run-in according to the Opta table, with a score of 35.2. It looks like curtains for the Tricky Trees, who are winless in nine games and needing a minor miracle to turn their form around now.

Villa’s Rivals’ Run-ins

There is a considerable gap between the Midlands teams and the third team Brentford, who also having a tough fixture list will help Villa’s case when it comes to finalises the places in the top half of the table. European qualification rivals Tottenham and Brighton have the 8th and 9th toughest remaining fixtures, so at least will have to earn their European spots in the run-in.

As with the PPG results, Liverpool with a score of 72.9 (the higher, the easier the games) have the second easiest remaining fixtures, and realistically, it’s hard not seeing them ultimately take advantage of that to pip Villa in the table.

We are not getting our excuses in early, more laying down the path of the extent of Emery and the team’s achievement, if they do make it!

Spurs have to be the ones we aim to catch. Newcastle (a), Man United (h), Liverpool (a), Palace (h), Villa (a)

Can see them not getting a win until they come to Palace who have been in great form.

Brighton beating Chelsea was a sign they are too good to not capitalise on their games in hand. 

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

According to this, we have the most difficult run in to the end of the season of all the teams. ( I'd suggest that our upcoming opposition's difficulty ratings should now go up though 😎 )

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/difficulty-of-aston-villas-remaining-fixtures-confirmed-by-opta/

The Difficulty of Aston Villa’s remaining fixtures

After MOMS previously analysed Aston Villa’s remaining fixtures in terms of their opponents’ respective home and away Points Per Game, that led to the conclusion Villa face the hardest Premier League run-in, Opta have issued a table that backs up that conclusion.

Based on the average Opta power ranking (basically, how well the team is recently doing in form, etc) of each remaining opponent, the below table puts Aston Villa clearly on top in terms of the Premier League’s hardest run-in on a score of 33.8.

Nottingham Forest, who dropped into the Premier League’s bottom three after a 2-0 defeat at Villa Park, have the second hardest run-in according to the Opta table, with a score of 35.2. It looks like curtains for the Tricky Trees, who are winless in nine games and needing a minor miracle to turn their form around now.

Villa’s Rivals’ Run-ins

There is a considerable gap between the Midlands teams and the third team Brentford, who also having a tough fixture list will help Villa’s case when it comes to finalises the places in the top half of the table. European qualification rivals Tottenham and Brighton have the 8th and 9th toughest remaining fixtures, so at least will have to earn their European spots in the run-in.

As with the PPG results, Liverpool with a score of 72.9 (the higher, the easier the games) have the second easiest remaining fixtures, and realistically, it’s hard not seeing them ultimately take advantage of that to pip Villa in the table.

We are not getting our excuses in early, more laying down the path of the extent of Emery and the team’s achievement, if they do make it!

It's a double-edged sword though; does any other team want to play Villa at the moment?

Apart from Arse, we are bang in form!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1