Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

39 minutes ago, romavillan said:

How many times would you all say is too many a day for looking at the Premier League table?

I came here to post the same. I think I’ve looked at the table more in the last 18 hours than I have all season until yesterday. 
We might not end up in the same spot by the end of the season but the positivity is back and there’s no question we are vastly improved. Funny how much Villa’s form impacts the mood, eh?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

look at the positives. a lot of those conference sides are championship level. we qualify, we don't need to loan archer, tim, KHH, JPB out again. we can use that tournament to develop them. we will need them anyway as you need a number of home grown players

i don't we're in a position to turn our noses up at european football, whichever the competition

100% this. Plus keeping the more fringe senior players happy and match fit. I think would be brilliant for the Club's development and progress.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I’m pretty confident Emery doesn’t think like this. 

i'd say 99% of the fanbase don't either. we get europe, we will build a squad capable of juggling the PL and europe

not forgetting, we have the **** master of managing domestic and european competitions as our manager

• Like 3

I want Europe. When opportunity knocks only a fool would say "can we wait". 

I think we'll just miss out but if we do snatch a place we have to take it as a great opportunity to advance the football club personnel wise and commercially. With work on the North Stand in Oct, the badge change, it will usher in a new era. Like a coronation for the owners for all the work they've put in to this club. 

I want that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

The idea that people wouldn’t want Europe in any form is absolutely baffling and the most Villa thing I have read in some time. I will be celebrating like crazy if we achieve EC football. I think having an additional European competition is bollocks but hey if it exists I want in. 

It's understandable from a certain perspective.  You only have to look at Leicester and West Ham and see that a couple seasons in Europe and playing so many games in 2 years, they are both now struggling massively, and might even get relegated.  There are of course other factors to that, but long European campaigns definitely contributed.

The main difference for us is we have a hugely experienced European manager, so if we break into Europe, we might not end up like Leicester or West Ham

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It's understandable from a certain perspective.  You only have to look at Leicester and West Ham and see that a couple seasons in Europe and playing so many games in 2 years, they are both now struggling massively, and might even get relegated.  There are of course other factors to that, but long European campaigns definitely contributed.

The main difference for us is we have a hugely experienced European manager, so if we break into Europe, we might not end up like Leicester or West Ham

This is what it's all about. We have a vastly experienced manager when juggling European competition and domestic obligations.  It's what he's here for. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

And I'd be chuffed with either

Sure, it's the modern intertwobob, but it's been 22 seasons since we even won that, and nothing else in the last 27 years. Just give me a **** trophy.

Hell, the final was Feyenord vs Roma last season, could you imagine a cup final against Roma? I don't care if the trophy is made out of tinfoil.

Our school once won a trophy made of recycled cans. Oh yeah.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

look at the positives. a lot of those conference sides are championship level. we qualify, we don't need to loan archer, tim, KHH, JPB out again. we can use that tournament to develop them. we will need them anyway as you need a number of home grown players

i don't we're in a position to turn our noses up at european football, whichever the competition

Certainly won't be turning my nose up. I'll love getting into Europe, and hopefully going to some games.

Going on the evidence in front of us though...top 4 can be thought about next season. That'll be very hard with regular midweek games.

45 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I’m pretty confident Emery doesn’t think like this. 

You'd be surprised.

If we do get into the conference league, we're one of the favourites pretty quickly.

5 home. 4 away.

Home - Forest, Newcastle, Fulham, Spurs, Brighton

Away - Brentford, United, Wolves, Liverpool

You're looking for 9-10 points at home and 5-6 points away.

Will 60 be enough to get us into Europe?

All in our hands. Haven't been this nervy over a run of results since the Championship. Finally - something to play for at the end of the year.

3 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

5 home. 4 away.

All in our hands. Haven't been this nervy over a run of results since the Championship. Finally - something to play for at the end of the year.

2021-22 - 6th
2020-21 - 8th
2019-20 - 6th

Yes and No

30 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Going on the evidence in front of us though...top 4 can be thought about next season. That'll be very hard with regular midweek games.

But equally - say we do get into the top 4 next season, then we'd be straight into the CL with f-all European experience and an even more challenging following season.

If/when we finally qualify for a European competition we will add to the squad in such a way that we will cope with additional games. As has been said we’ve got a Europa League winning master who knows what’s needed, I don’t believe his Sevilla and Villarreal teams struggled after winning their Europa titles. Teams are built to handle the extra games, Liverpool, Citeh, Man Utd etc… have all managed it perfectly well over the years. 

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

If/when we finally qualify for a European competition we will add to the squad in such a way that we will cope with additional games. As has been said we’ve got a Europa League winning master who knows what’s needed, I don’t believe his Sevilla and Villarreal teams struggled after winning their Europa titles. Teams are built to handle the extra games, Liverpool, Citeh, Man Utd etc… have all managed it perfectly well over the years. 

Any talk of struggling to build a team to cope with Conference/Europa and League is also applicable to a potential CL qualification.

One day, a leap will have to be made.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

5 home. 4 away.

Win the games in bold (maybe substitute spurs for one), then pick up another couple of points here and there...

5 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses = 61 points