Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

Very interesting (and welcome, especially if they end up activating the buy clause)… we must have an upgrade/replacement (exciting to imagine who that could be) on the way… a backup/alternative DM was already sorely needed but now it’s absolutely essential… we don’t have much central midfield depth, especially in a defensive manner… just see how much we struggled while Bouba was suspended…

So many games to play… we need players…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Not an obligatory option to buy. I doubt we will make a permanent replacement now whilst we have a risk that Donk may return. It will likely be a temporary replacement or go with what we have.

Can’t imagine we’ll “go with what we have”… far too risky and precarious.

We were already light in that department and Leander was getting a look-in, despite clearly not being favoured by Unai nor performing all that well… the drop off from Kamara has been severe…

When Unai tried Tielemans and Dendoncker in midfield together, they were terrible and we got knocked out of the League Cup by Everton… it was never attempted again and Youri has since been played in a more advanced role and looked much better… our options are very limited…

McGinn had not been as effective when filling in either (even though he did well last season)…

I’d be shocked if there’s no one on the way and we leave ourselves short in that area…

The point of letting him go is to get his wages off the books due to FFP. I do not expect a replacement for a bit part back up. Not in January.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Rogers is an attacker not a DM.

He is now, i can remember Barry started as right back and Milner was right winger. Both moved into the middle with great success. It may well be that we have another signing in the wings that can cover DM.

Linked to Neuhaus… wages aren’t off the books for FFP, it’s to make way for a replacement who is better and more suited to the side… Dendoncker was never up to standard.

1 minute ago, tinker said:

He is now, i can remember Barry started as right back and Milner was right winger. Both moved into the middle with great success. It may well be that we have another signing in the wings that can cover DM.

Barry didn't.... He started at Brighton as midfielder for the yoof team, then he was utilised by JG as the left sided defender in a 3.... Eventually evolved into LM under Graham Taylor then eventually DOL had him moved infield as a centre mid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This has made my day 😊 

It’s good news… offloading a player not up to standard and hopefully bringing in someone better and more suited to Unai’s style and system…

58 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Would be bizarre if we didn't get a replacement in.

I reckon Unai just doesn’t want to play him ever  but can’t really let him rot on the bench either. I totally understand letting him go, replacement or no replacement.  It’s a good move for everyone. Chambers next.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Â