Pre-match thread

Wainy316

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Carlos, Kamara, Bissouma, Bentacur, etc are players he " wanted " to be fair.

Not sure how we can be taking tabloid reports about stop gap signings as players he " wants ".

Lol

It suits the anti Gerard agenda that keeps being spouted over and over again by the same posters. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Even a draw dosen't feel enough really, 4 points from 6 is what we had during 15/16 and we'd likely be bottom 3.

Agree with the principle of giving Gerrard the next three games regardless.

Manager after that would have Leicester, Southampton, Leeds, Forest, Fulham, Brentford all before world cup so a few winnable games there.

Why not let Gerrard try and win those ? You want another manager, so name him and then explain why he will achieve what you expect him to do . Looking forward to your response.

I’m normally as optimistic as anyone, that’s just my nature, but any sense of optimism I had about Steve Gerrard’s Aston Villa is all but completely gone. It’s hard to expect anything other than another lacklustre performance.

Hope I’m wrong! 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, smg said:

Why not let Gerrard try and win those ? You want another manager, so name him and then explain why he will achieve what you expect him to do . Looking forward to your response.

Because on evidence of first three games we won't beat Leicester (probably be happy to get another 0-0) and I think we'll struggle v Fulham with way they've started. Forest have got better players than Bournemouth and that's away so that will be a massive struggle. Southampton at home is a total must win.

Last season we lost five in a row under DS then won 3 out of first four under Gerrard so shows the new manager bounce works for us. I think it's got so bad we just need that to inject some life into this season otherwise we'll just go on for months plodding along winning the odd game and playing very boring football.

I want a manager who could get us in contention for 8th and finish top half. Gerrard winning 3 of his last 14 games isn't a record that will get us anywhere near top 10. Rodgers certainly shown at Leicester he can finish top half easily but my concern is he just jumps straight into another job whenever his time at Leicester ends. And the prospect of Pochettino is really enticing aswell and we should be asking that question at least.

Happy now?

Lads, if we win convingly tomorrow ( Yes I know 🙄... Probability and all )

How much wiggle room does that buy?

I'm guessing simple things, like even picking a lineup Most people would agree with, might go a long way?

( Luiz in for one )

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm guessing simple things, like even picking a lineup Most people would agree with, might go a long way?

( Luiz in for one )

Quite a bit all things considered. 6 points from 4 is decent, though not amazing given the opposition. Over the season it'd have us challenging for top 7, but over the season we'll be facing top 6 clubs of which we took 1 point from under Gerrard so far, or 11 points from 13 from the whole top 10. Actually when I put it like that, sounds like we're in for a long season even if we win tomorrow 😭

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

( Luiz in for one )

Of course it would go a long way.

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

( Luiz in for one )

I think a win tomorrow means that Arsenal and Man City are pretty much free hits (there’s an argument to say they are already). The pressure from losing those two wouldn’t be as intense, provided they’re not 6-0 defeats or similar. 

He then goes into Leicester and Southampton with a clean(er) slate, but either a couple of draws or three points minimum would be needed from those two otherwise things will be really unpleasant. 

Eight points from eight games wouldn’t be great, but I don’t think it would be dismissal worthy. Not quite, I think. 

Whenever I think of these possible scenarios I find how arbitrary it is, as I think eight points before the international break might just be enough to continue as is, but seven points from eight games might not be. 

Failure to win tomorrow and 3-0 defeats to Arsenal and Man City, then I think the Leicester and Southampton games are possibly both “must win” games.

If we win against West Ham, draw against Arsenal, four points from Leicester and Southampton, he’s here for the foreseeable.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think a win tomorrow means that Arsenal and Man City are pretty much free hits (there’s an argument to say they are already). The pressure from losing those two wouldn’t be as intense, provided they’re not 6-0 defeats or similar. 

He then goes into Leicester and Southampton with a clean(er) slate, but either a couple of draws or three points minimum would be needed from those two otherwise things will be really unpleasant. 

Eight points from eight games wouldn’t be great, but I don’t think it would be dismissal worthy. Not quite, I think. 

Whenever I think of these possible scenarios I find how arbitrary it is, as I think eight points before the international break might just be enough to continue as is, but seven points from eight games might not be. 

Failure to win tomorrow and 3-0 defeats to Arsenal and Man City, then I think the Leicester and Southampton games are possibly both “must win” games.

If we win against West Ham, draw against Arsenal, four points from Leicester and Southampton, he’s here for the foreseeable.

There are no free hits in the premier league, you have to have the mentality of winning every game 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macandally said:

There are no free hits in the premier league, you have to have the mentality of winning every game 

Don’t disagree, but I think losing to Man City carries less weight than losing to Bournemouth does when considering a change of management.

• Like 1

I might be wrong but I think the only current PL teams we haven't beaten at least once since we last beat West Ham in the 2014/15 season are Man City and Brentford. Such a dumb bogey team for us.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Interesting article basically saying Gérard is nothing without Beale  Who will get chop first? Frank Lampard, Brendan Rodgers and Steven Gerrard feeling the heat as sack race begins

https://www.sundayworld.com/sport/soccer/who-will-get-chop-first-frank-lampard-brendan-rodgers-and-steven-gerrard-feeling-the-heat-as-sack-race-begins/626171623.html

It is a massive game and I really want us to win, I hate watching us struggle.

But, if we are soundly beaten by West Ham, how can the players go into the next few games with much confidence or belief? If the worst happens, it could get really ugly… huge tests upcoming…

We need big performances from our players tomorrow… I would point the finger firmly in McGinn’s direction first and foremost and tell him that we all expect a proper captain’s performance! He has been woeful, it’s time he shut us all up now and kicked back the criticism…

But we need every player “on it” and for the manager to choose the right players and set them up in an effective way to give us the best chance at getting a result. 

We need to be more solid and resilient, stop losing possession cheaply, close the distances and get our passing game going - it’s crucial. We have to be more intelligent in our play…

Let the defenders defend and the attackers attack… stop hindering individuals from playing to their strengths… 

We must play Luiz, I’ll be worried if SG sticks with JJ alongside McGinn… Kamara needs help or we are going to be overpowered… again…

Let’s see, I hope SG is finally learning from his mistakes… maybe the Bolton game was a final wake up call. There was a change (for whatever reasons) from that first half to the second… I’m trying to hope again… I don’t want to be miserable, I’m not enjoying any of this…

Come on you Villa boys! Make the fans proud! Glad it’s a home game… it can only help…

It would be a huge win, we haven’t beaten West Ham since 2015… we need to address that…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Beating West Ham will give us a better chance at getting a result and putting in a positive performance in the following games… we need this win, quite badly.

SG desperately needs it too, it’s only going to get harder from here… let’s see if he can handle the pressure and surprise us…

Confidence, momentum and belief is a huge factor in this sport…

I’m hoping that playing at VP is going to help see us over the line…

Edited by Jas10

3 hours ago, bose said:

Horrible feeling for tomorrow. Please surprise us Villa. 

I have no idea why, but I’ve suddenly gained some hope… maybe the fact that we’re playing at home and there will be a lot of support, initially. How the game goes will determine how the mood changes..

Or maybe it’s just because I really don’t want to lose… and believe that we do have quality in our squad.

The manager and captain really have to show up… can they pleasantly surprise us?

• Like 1