Gerrard (new) poll - IN or OUT?

ender4

Gerrard - IN or OUT  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or sack Gerrard

• Keep
    • Sack

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/22 at 22:59

If we can't get a manager in who is able to make the players we have better then we will be in the bottom 3 with Everton, assuming they stick with Lampard too.  I know no Villa fans in real life, whenever I talk to anyone who likes football their first question is about Gerrard and they all think he isn't good enough, so I don’t think it would be an embarrassing look for the club to get rid now.  I'm mainly disappointed in the recruitment process in the first place, I so hope we can convince Pochettino to come and Wes and Nassef make him an offer he can't refuse.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

I think letting a manager go so early in his tenure doesnt do anyone any good, and should only be reserved for exceptional circumstances.

I think he will get more rope, thus he will get my support.

You dont think the way we are playing is exceptional circumstances ????? Its not as though SG has only been useless this season, the muppet almost got us relegated last season, and your genius idea is give him more rope. The expression "give them more rope" only comes out when someone is failing badly, very rarely do they ever turn in around to the point of success, at best they may achieve survival. Is that all you want for Villa, survival.

11 minutes ago, Podster said:

You dont think the way we are playing is exceptional circumstances ????? Its not as though SG has only been useless this season, the muppet almost got us relegated last season, and your genius idea is give him more rope. The expression "give them more rope" only comes out when someone is failing badly, very rarely do they ever turn in around to the point of success, at best they may achieve survival. Is that all you want for Villa, survival.

Its not MY 'genius' idea to do anything...just what will more than likely happen with Purslow as his boss!

,,,and No I dont think its exceptional circumstances yet. 

Edited by Nigel

28 minutes ago, penguin said:

I’m personally just very interested in hearing the reasoning as I can’t fathom it.

Any “pro-Gerrard” post seem to 99% consist of ad hominem “fickle”, “over-reactors” etc than stating an opinion.

The real giveaway for me is how often defending Gerrard involves singling out certain players, as if Gerrard hasn’t had plenty of cash and a whole summer to work with most of them.

My issue is I don’t see a vision, and I don’t see him explaining what his vision is or explaining the bad performances in a convincing way.

When Smith was struggling in the Championship when he first joined, I think it was clear to most fans that he could turn it around. The belief was based on the way he spoke about each game. It sounded credible.

We need that same kind of manager but another level up. What we have is arguably a worse manager, who just happened to be a great player.

File him away with Keane, Souness, Shearer, Adams, and all the other blood and thunder players who can’t manage a football side. Management is hard and it’s a different skillset from banging in long range goals. Klopp and Tuchel were not great players. Yes, being a great player can bring you some credibility in the dressing room, but it’s a small % of what really matters.

And **** Purslow for doing this, when it was obvious to most fans it was a bad idea.

• Like 3

If I could see ONE element of our play that is getting better, or even minor improvements under Gerrard then I would be more than willing to give him more time. I'm not though. Our play hasn't improved, players haven't individually improved and we look pretty disorganised around the pitch. We play narrow and ponderous, lack movement and most importantly are not playing players on form but those preferred by the manager. On that basis Gerrard should go. 10 months is more than enough time for improvements to style, formation and understanding the capabilities of the personnel. I'm not seeing any signs this is happening under him. For that reason I'm all onboard  the Gerrard out train. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Burn the club to the ground. Collect the insurance money. Everybody goes their separate ways.

Yeah, I was thinking something similar. 

We sort of peaked with MON, then the modern Premier League outpaced us completely. No matter what we do, we'll never rise to the heights of the 80s or even thereabouts again. We are one of those perpetual supporting cast clubs showing up as faceless opposing teams to the gib boys in All or Nothing-like docu-dramas. 

We should just embrace our fate and go with it. Not even Pep or Klopp would be able to get us into the running. The game's gone.

'We're shit and we know it!'

58 minutes ago, daft said:

Yeah, I was thinking something similar. 

We sort of peaked with MON, then the modern Premier League outpaced us completely. No matter what we do, we'll never rise to the heights of the 80s or even thereabouts again. We are one of those perpetual supporting cast clubs showing up as faceless opposing teams to the gib boys in All or Nothing-like docu-dramas. 

We should just embrace our fate and go with it. Not even Pep or Klopp would be able to get us into the running. The game's gone.

'We're shit and we know it!'

Tbf all but 6 clubs are locked out. Unfortunately our history is now basically a handicap now for us though when compared to the other clubs as there's always more pressure here.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Tbf all but 6 clubs are locked out. Unfortunately our history is now basically a handicap now for us though when compared to the other clubs as there's always more pressure here.

True. 

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

TBH I think this is a myth. If the other 14 clubs don't re invest or employ crap managers then they won't improve but the idea that it's a locked shop is defeatist and nonsense imo. Yes, it's harder to break ground on those at the top but with the right backing and manager there are clubs that could bridge the gap and muscle in on the clubs at the top. Just like Leicester, Wham and Wolves have to a degree. We just haven't got the right first team manager. It's that simple.  

Just now, avfc1982am said:

TBH I think this is a myth. If the other 14 clubs don't re invest or employ crap managers then they won't improve but the idea that it's a locked shop is defeatist and nonsense imo. Yes, it's harder to break ground on those at the top but with the right backing and manager there are clubs that could bridge the gap and muscle in on the clubs at the top. Just like Leicester, Wham and Wolves have to a degree. We just haven't got the right first team manager. It's that simple.  

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to be the best, just that the top 6 is a closed shop. You give Leicester, West Ham and Wolves as examples but they're just an upper tier of the rest of the PL. Their chances of actually breaking into the top 6 and say, replacing Spurs or United, are only a tad less remote than us or Everton long-term.

If he was a proven manager I'd say give he more time fact is he only got job on back of been a great player same as lampard Villa Chelsea  Everton are top jobs in management the fact they got them with  very  little experience shows its who you know not what you know 

Just now, Mantis said:

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to be the best, just that the top 6 is a closed shop. You give Leicester, West Ham and Wolves as examples but they're just an upper tier of the rest of the PL. Their chances of actually breaking into the top 6 and say, replacing Spurs or United, are only a tad less remote than us or Everton long-term.

The top 6 positions are only locked off in peoples heads thinking that you have to buy your way to success. It may actually help having someone in charge who knows what they are doing. The clubs I have mentioned have all finished in the top 6 or thereabout recently. With the right investments in players, management etc they could all have established themselves further and may still do. We could do this too but not unless we get a top level manager to actually get the best out of the players brought in. We've got a bigger fan base than most, a fantastic iconic stadium, great owners, a decent enough base squad to work from and all the ingredients to push on and challenge the top 6 over the next few years. Not without the right manager though.

Â