Gerrard (new) poll - IN or OUT?

ender4

Gerrard - IN or OUT  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or sack Gerrard

• Keep
    • Sack

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/22 at 22:59

20 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The biggest red flag for me, Gerrard is incompetent just based on this alone.... How Chambers has got a start this season is astounding 

With all respect basing a sack on the playing time of one player is a quite extreme.  Unless perhaps if that player were Messi. 

Just now, ender4 said:

I can give a good reason to say keep him. It’s called patience.  

33% wanted him gone and 67% wanted to keep him before the Palace game. 

Some of that 67% were close to saying sack him but were being patient in giving him more time. 

It’s the same now, most of that 9% will be angry and annoyed, but are more patient than the average Villa fan and so will give him another 1-5 games. 

And there’s nothing wrong with that.

For clarity, I voted keep in the first poll and sack in this poll. Usually I’m more patient that this so I’m disappointed that I’ve come over to the dark side but here i am.

I think it's the seeming complete lack of tactical awareness that has pushed many people over the edge. Obviously there's a reason why managers are paid so highly and it's not as easy as it looks etc but Gerrard can't seem to see even basic stuff and continues to persist with things which obviously don't work.

• Like 1

Just now, ender4 said:

I can give a good reason to say keep him. It’s called patience.  

33% wanted him gone and 67% wanted to keep him before the Palace game. 

Some of that 67% were close to saying sack him but were being patient in giving him more time. 

It’s the same now, most of that 9% will be angry and annoyed, but are more patient than the average Villa fan and so will give him another 1-5 games. 

And there’s nothing wrong with that.

For clarity, I voted keep in the first poll and sack in this poll. Usually I’m more patient that this so I’m disappointed that I’ve come over to the dark side but here i am.

I understand it's patience, but based on what? Because it sounds like giving him time for the sake of it. If you could point to any promising signs that would make it worth sticking it out for, I'm all ears mate. Seriously, I want this to work but I just can't see it.

2 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

With all respect basing a sack on the playing time of one player is a quite extreme.  Unless perhaps if that player were Messi. 

Hahaha, oh geez mate if you think this is the only reason then good luck to you.... I just said it's a massive red flag.

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

I think letting a manager go so early in his tenure doesnt do anyone any good, and should only be reserved for exceptional circumstances.

I think he will get more rope, thus he will get my support.

This is an exceptional circumstance. He is out of his depth

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I understand it's patience, but based on what? Because it sounds like giving him time for the sake of it. If you could point to any promising signs that would make it worth sticking it out for, I'm all ears mate. Seriously, I want this to work but I just can't see it.

The essence of my post is not about Gerrard at all, it’s about the voters themselves. Some people are just more patient in life, they would wait longer in a queue (for example) than the average person. Others will react quicker and walk out of that queue very quickly.

Imagine you had a terrible employee working for you. Some bosses will give them months to try and improve, some will sack them after two weeks. It’s the same employee in each case, but the boss and the bosses personality is different, and so that produces a different result/viewpoint.

Edit - I’m not arguing that there are any positive signs, just pointing out a reason why people will have voted to keep.

Edited by ender4

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Hahaha, oh geez mate if you think this is the only reason then good luck to you.... I just said it's a massive red flag.

Fair enough - i thought you were implying much more.  My mistake.  But I will say that player selection. Is way down the list of management skills for me.  

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Im sorry thats bullshit. Konsa is a centre back and in dreadful form

Messi is not the only key player in football

S

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Im sorry thats bullshit. Konsa is a centre back and in dreadful form

Messi is not the only key player in football

so you think not playing one player (a CB) is all that is needed to sack a manager?  If so we disagree.  If not why are you digging at me?

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

S

so you think not playing one player (a CB) is all that is needed to sack a manager?  If so we disagree.  If not why are you digging at me?

Not digging at you just the comment ☺

Gerrard has done enough to dig his grave but his stubbornness for his buddies is the main one

I never wanted him in the first place. I honestly never thought it would work, for me the appointment was like Rafa at Everton or Nuno at Spurs.

I expect (and through gritted teeth) want the board to give him 10 games and as I'll always support us that means I'd love to see him turn things around. 

That said, I trust the board are already approaching Poch, Rose etc. 

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Last poll was roughly 64%-36% in favour of keeping, this will be at least 90% in favour of sacking. That's a pretty wild swing but not without reason.

I'm assuming a lot of people did the same as me and abstained from the last poll. I wanted him out in theory last week but didn't feel two games into a season was the right time to do it. I've seen enough though, sooner he goes the better for the club and the less we undo the progress we've made over the last few years 

I've been wanting to give him some more time, however the physicality of the team in midfield was awful last night, too easily bumped off the ball, rather than moving the ball quicker, lost possession etc

Don't see how he is going to turn it around.

I'd been teetering for a while, but he lost me when we managed to beat the worst Everton team in living memory despite trying our hardest to **** it up via inept tactics and poor subs etc.

For me, today just cemented what we already knew: he's no use, and neither are we as long as stick with him.

Thank you, next.

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not digging at you just the comment ☺

Gerrard has done enough to dig his grave but his stubbornness for his buddies is the main one

we agree he should go, but his player selection for me, is far down the list of concerns.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

I get your point, but to be fair, Chambers is just an all round better player than Konsa in every department, and has never put a foot wrong.

I don't know if we are trying to get Konsa back to his old form, or if he's an outstanding trainer or what, but I don't get it either.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get your point, but to be fair, Chambers is just an all round better player than Konsa in every department, and has never put a foot wrong.

I don't know if we are trying to get Konsa back to his old form, or if he's an outstanding trainer or what, but I don't get it either.

Konsa is apparently the most competitive player in training but like BCD games is no fans there to see it

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

for you and Zatman, i'm just as puzzled over the lack of time for Chambers.  But to be fair, I'm puzzled about lack of opportunities for Buendia, Bailey, Archer, Sanson, Luiz, even Carney last season,  etc.  To some extent it's a wealth of riches (which is a new problem for villa in my 20 some years following)  i'm just exponentially more concerned about the lack of any tactical awareness. Players you can pick based on training that we can't see.  But when your tactics and your formatoin and your personnel don't match and then you can't adjust???   that's my problem with SG.  

Is he stubborn?  Yes,  But his stubborness about who plays is not the biggest problem (IMO)  His stuboorness about 3 in a narrow midfield with limited pace and mobility is much wors.  (IMO)  Konsa is capable in the right tactics,  opponent, and formation.  But not the tactics, opposition, and formation we played today.  it was a total mismatch on multiple levels.  Slow movement through midfield when they are running a high press with greater speed is a disaster.  persisting with it is certain failure.  a ressonably good manager should know that - IMO of course.

• Like 1

Problem is I'm not seeing improvements at all even worse off , leaky defence  , bullied in midfield  , mentally frail , lack of leadership , can't defend set pieces lack of fight and game plans all this with a full preseason backed by the owners $$ and his new team of backroom staff.

Edited by ozvilla28

Â