Gerrard (new) poll - IN or OUT?

ender4

Gerrard - IN or OUT  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or sack Gerrard

• Keep
    • Sack

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/22 at 22:59

He was nowhere near my choice for who to come in and replace Smith, but I got behind him like I do every manager. Unfortunately, he’s shown nothing during his time here in regards to improvement on the pitch, let alone results, and I can’t see him taking us anywhere near the position the owners expect us to be.

All he’s been good for is attracting a calibre of player based on his standing in the game as a player (not as a coach), that’s it. If he’d even show any kind of evidence of changing his tactics and trying something new, he’d probably have a bit more support, but I think it’s becoming clear that he doesn’t really know what he’s doing and Beale was the brains of the operation.

Needs to go, and the owners need to show ambition in who they appoint next. Get Critchley or even our Under 21 coaches in for a few games, just to freshen things up in the meantime, and go all out for a big name. If none of them come off, go all out for Potter.

• Like 1

I’m not Gerrard out. But I’m not going to advocate for him remaining. If he was gone tomorrow I wouldn’t think it was a particularly bad thing for the club. I haven’t voted either way.

My sense is he’s here for the next month regardless, the next five games being West Ham, Man City, Arsenal, Leicester and Southampton before the break. There has to be a win in there. Has to be. To be honest, just two wins from the first eight would be fairly dismal. 

Add that to substandard form from last season and it’s hard to build much of a case for him (yes, the results last season are being included when considering his position, the same point was used against the last manager, it’s being included for this manager).

So I reckon he’ll be here another month, so whatever your opinion on the matter, better buckle up.

• Like 2

Just now, Ginko said:

He was nowhere near my choice for who to come in and replace Smith, but I got behind him like I do every manager. Unfortunately, he’s shown nothing during his time here in regards to improvement on the pitch, let alone results, and I can’t see him taking us anywhere near the position the owners expect us to be.

All he’s been good for is attracting a calibre of player based on his standing in the game as a player (not as a coach), that’s it. If he’d even show any kind of evidence of changing his tactics and trying something new, he’d probably have a bit more support, but I think it’s becoming clear that he doesn’t really know what he’s doing and Beale was the brains of the operation.

Needs to go, and the owners need to show ambition in who they appoint next. Get Critchley or even our Under 21 coaches in for a few games, just to freshen things up in the meantime, and go all out for a big name. If none of them come off, go all out for Potter.

Yep, I wouldn’t mind the same results IF it showed that we had a plan and knew exactly what we were trying to achieve on the pitch.

At least Steve Bruce got the players hyped up to have a go. Gerrard can’t even get the players to do that.

Was disappointed when we brought Gerrard in for lots of reasons. Could see what he was trying to do, and backed him. He didn't sign ings, bailey, sanson, or buendia - who have all been flops really. He presumably influenced signatures of Kamara and Costa - two good signings. Hard not to be happy with Coutinho. 

I think there's 80-100m of player cost in the team that he wouldn't have signed - and that were bad signings. Purslow and Lange have to carry them. 

But think we need a proven manager now. Unai Emery was my hope before Gerrard and still think he'd be amazing, but he's going well with Villareal and probably had his fingers burned at Arsenall. Rodgers would be good if Leicester sell the jewels and he's not supported. 

Gerrard (and the biggest entourage in world football) out.

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Last poll was roughly 64%-36% in favour of keeping, this will be at least 90% in favour of sacking. That's a pretty wild swing but not without reason.

I'm guessing a lot of people such as myself who voted keep last time with reservation have been tipped over the edge. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m not Gerrard out. But I’m not going to advocate for him remaining. If he was gone tomorrow I wouldn’t think it was a particularly bad thing for the club. I haven’t voted either way.

My sense is he’s here for the next month regardless, the next five games being West Ham, Man City, Arsenal, Leicester and Southampton before the break. There has to be a win in there. Has to be. To be honest, just two wins from the first eight would be fairly dismal. 

Add that to substandard form from last season and it’s hard to build much of a case for him (yes, the results last season are being included when considering his position, the same point was used against the last manager, it’s being included for this manager).

So I reckon he’ll be here another month, so whatever your opinion on the matter, better buckle up.

Good post.

If we set up in the relegation formation everyone behind the ball, we may actually pick up more points that we think. It's done fairly well for us.

The issue is that has a ceiling. And that ceiling is about 14th.

Every time we try to do anything else, we get utterly whacked.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would Thomas Frank be a bad suggestion for any list?

Not for me. He's a wacko. Leap from Gerrard would be too much.

It works at Brentford but he has a continuous stream of good players being signed. Won't get that here.

17 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Last poll was roughly 64%-36% in favour of keeping, this will be at least 90% in favour of sacking. That's a pretty wild swing but not without reason.

it's 97 percent to 3 percent atm. lol

I don’t like sacking the manager too soon, but sometimes you just have to recognise that the manager doesn’t have it in him and is not capable of the job in hand. Like someone else mentioned in the Gerrard thread, it is not based purely on three games this season, it goes back to last season and the poor end. He has had the summer to sort things out and at least make us a bit tougher to beat. It doesn’t look like anything has changed at all. The poor showing at Bournemouth cranked up the pressure, beating Everton unconvincingly  doesn’t paper over the cracks. So with that in mind he should be sacked.

When there is a decent proven manager available in Poch, I would be disappointed if someone high up in the club hadn’t sounded him out by now. Failing Poch go all out for Potter, he has outperformed our managers on a smaller budget and has his team playing good football as well.

• Like 2

Â