Gerrard (new) poll - IN or OUT?

ender4

Gerrard - IN or OUT  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or sack Gerrard

• Keep
    • Sack

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/22 at 22:59

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

He should just never have been hired in the first place. MON and Smith are the only two good hires in the last two decades. It’s amazing. 

In retrospect and given the circumstances at the time O'Neill was kind of a very bad hire but that's for another thread.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

TBH I think this is a myth. If the other 14 clubs don't re invest or employ crap managers then they won't improve but the idea that it's a locked shop is defeatist and nonsense imo. Yes, it's harder to break ground on those at the top but with the right backing and manager there are clubs that could bridge the gap and muscle in on the clubs at the top. Just like Leicester, Wham and Wolves have to a degree. We just haven't got the right first team manager. It's that simple.  

No, it's much more than that. It facilities, culture, belief in what you do.

What you have outside the giants is a bunch of also rans who takes turn popping up and falling off. We're done. It's the culture. We are treading water.

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The top 6 positions are only locked off in peoples heads thinking that you have to buy your way to success. It may actually help having someone in charge who knows what they are doing. The clubs I have mentioned have all finished in the top 6 or thereabout recently. With the right investments in players, management etc they could all have established themselves further and may still do. We could do this too but not unless we get a top level manager to actually get the best out of the players brought in. We've got a bigger fan base than most, a fantastic iconic stadium, great owners, a decent enough base squad to work from and all the ingredients to push on and challenge the top 6 over the next few years. Not without the right manager though.

I wasn't saying that it was impossible to ever break into the top 6, I'm talking about establishing yourself there, which is something very different. Of course you need the right manager and the right set up but at the end of the day it's still next to impossible for any club out of the top 6 to permanently usurp one of the clubs already in it.

I'm done with him already, just because he did well with rangers? That's like doing well with leyton orient ( no offense to their fans). Bad buys in the summer, the team always has less posession than the opposition as usual. Get rid

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

16 people want to see Villa finish 14th again 

14th?!  That's generous!  Looking at the teams below us and our next few fixtures think we will be bottom 3 in a few weeks!  West Ham will probably pick up their 1st points (can see Brighton beat them) 

Arsenal and City will pummel us (just make sure to make Jesus and Haaland captains those weeks in FPL)  

With the right tactics we could be an excellent counter attack team,  but Gerrard is hell bent on possession football with the 2 worst Midfielders for possession over 90 mins in Europe!  

Sadly I think we are looking at a long hard season!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I've still gone keep. I can't believe we chucked everything we had previously, all that good will and positivity away for it to fail as badly as it looks like it. I want it to work. 

Fair play mate.

Don't know if my mood will subside as days go by but for now I don't see it.

I want it to work too, the problem is I see no encouragement in the decision making.

That's my major worry.

So it's not like I'm being trigger happy, I'm just worried that well throw a transfer window away and lose out on other Managers if we hold on and end up failing anyway.

At the end of the day, no amount of ranting we do on here will change anything.

My view today doesn't necessarily mean I'll be joining in with or agree with all the excessive pettiness either.

Run the risk of watching " lesser clubs " overtake us in slow motion.

Unlike some others, I actually don't dislike him as a man, it's his in game Management skills I'm in doubt about.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, calcifer said:

14th?!  That's generous!  Looking at the teams below us and our next few fixtures think we will be bottom 3 in a few weeks!  West Ham will probably pick up their 1st points (can see Brighton beat them) 

Arsenal and City will pummel us (just make sure to make Jesus and Haaland captains those weeks in FPL)  

With the right tactics we could be an excellent counter attack team,  but Gerrard is hell bent on possession football with the 2 worst Midfielders for possession over 90 mins in Europe!  

Sadly I think we are looking at a long hard season!  

If we sack him after the Man City team. Get potter in, Its EUROPEAN football next season for us. 

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

If we sack him after the Man City team. Get potter in, Its EUROPEAN football next season for us. 

Would take a good clear out of players and the right recruitment to achieve that for sure.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair play mate.

Don't know if my mood will subside as days go by but for now I don't see it.

I want it to work too, the problem is I see no encouragement in the decision making.

That's my major worry.

So it's not like I'm being trigger happy, I'm just worried that well throw a transfer window away and lose out on other Managers if we hold on and end up failing anyway.

At the end of the day, no amount of ranting we do on here will change anything.

My view today doesn't necessarily mean I'll be joining in with or agree with all the excessive pettiness either.

Run the risk of watching " lesser clubs " overtake us in slow motion.

Oh don't get me wrong. I don't see anything that suggests it's going to work. But I dont want to throw this away before I 100% know for sure. 

As much as I didn’t want him from the beginning, he isn’t realistically going anywhere yet is he, well in the next couple of games at least anyway. 

He’s got one more match for me. If he starts Konsa over Chambers again and continues with the McGinn and Ramsey project after today then it’s crystal clear that he has no capacity to learn, adapt on the job and he isn’t going to change. Stubbornness in terms of line up/tactics will cost him and if he doesn’t go soon then that means it’s yet another wasted year. 

It really wouldn’t bother me if he got the chop on Monday morning if I’m honest, I feel we will be better off without him but I’m trying to find something to hold onto for the next few games. I don’t know.

• Like 3

As others have said, since it's unlikely he will be going anywhere soon.

Then that's over to the board 

They simply MUST go into the market strongly for what we need 

We are going to ruin Kamara if we keep leaving him exposed ffs.

You know it's a proper shambles when even EMI ONE looks shite. ( His distribution and passing )

Widespread panic and chaos.

28 minutes ago, Rigs said:

Would take a good clear out of players and the right recruitment to achieve that for sure.

I’m not convinced a clear out is needed. We have plenty of quality. We just need three things: a system (or a couple of systems) that work, a coach who improves the players, and a manager who rewards players for playing well with more minutes.

Edit: and yes, obviously add some quality when available, but that will come naturally with results and the money we have at our disposal.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

I know Smith had his flaws, but one thing I loved about him was if a player was in form he would keep the shirt, and if a player was on the bench, he’d motivate them with the possibility of coming on and winning the shirt back. Simple but effective. The only player who lost out to that was AEG, but he was fighting for Grealish’s place, which was an exception.

Gerrard has favourites who have been out of form for months.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I know Smith had his flaws, but one thing I loved about him was if a player was in form he would keep the shirt, and if a player was on the bench, he’d motivate them with the possibility of coming on and winning the shirt back. Simple but effective. The only player who lost out to that was AEG, but he was fighting for Grealish’s place, which was an exception.

Gerrard has favourites who have been out of form for months.

Largely I agree with you but he also would never, ever drop or sub McGinn.

Â