Gerrard (new) poll - IN or OUT?

ender4

Gerrard - IN or OUT  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or sack Gerrard

• Keep
    • Sack

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/22 at 22:59

4 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Problem is I'm not seeing improvements at all even worse off , leaky defence  , bullied in midfield  , mentally frail , lack of leadership , can't defend set pieces lack of fight and game plans all this with a full preseason backed by the owners $$ and his new team of backroom staff.

None of us are. 

13 hours ago, ender4 said:

I’m always on the side of managers, I was with McLeish, Sherwood, Lambert and Bruce until right near the end.  Like literally until the week before they got sacked. 

and here I am moving from keeping Gerrard and waiting for improvements to Gerrard OUT.    

If I’m at this stage already, you can bet that Purslow and NSWE are there as well.

I’m the same normally but enough is enough, I voted keep on the straw poll early last week but I just want him gone now, successful clubs have proven successful managers Smith played a huge part in bringing us this far Gerrard was a mistake as someone said before go learn your trade in League 1. We need a proven top level manager to move us forward or we will forever be a Southampton type club that finishes anywhere between 10th and 16th. Time the owners put a stop to this shite get rid of Gerrard get rid of Purslow and move this huge club forward.

7 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

for you and Zatman, i'm just as puzzled over the lack of time for Chambers.  But to be fair, I'm puzzled about lack of opportunities for Buendia, Bailey, Archer, Sanson, Luiz, even Carney last season,  etc.  To some extent it's a wealth of riches (which is a new problem for villa in my 20 some years following)  i'm just exponentially more concerned about the lack of any tactical awareness. Players you can pick based on training that we can't see.  But when your tactics and your formatoin and your personnel don't match and then you can't adjust???   that's my problem with SG.  

Is he stubborn?  Yes,  But his stubborness about who plays is not the biggest problem (IMO)  His stuboorness about 3 in a narrow midfield with limited pace and mobility is much wors.  (IMO)  Konsa is capable in the right tactics,  opponent, and formation.  But not the tactics, opposition, and formation we played today.  it was a total mismatch on multiple levels.  Slow movement through midfield when they are running a high press with greater speed is a disaster.  persisting with it is certain failure.  a ressonably good manager should know that - IMO of course.

I have a feeling Konsa played with Carlos due to him speaking Portuguese.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Tbh, I voted “sack” but I would give him another 5-10 games. I agree with others that panic sacking managers isn’t sensible and can put off future managers & players from joining.

I agree but i really don't see this turning around. I hope i'll be proved wrong but i doubt it. We'll give him a fair chance and by then we'll be just above the relegation zone and another wasted season.

• Like 1

A year in and the best run of results we have is with a group of players he doesn't know, with no time to get them playing using his ideas. We look worse the longer he's in the job, and this year we've only been picking up points from relegation contenders. It's grim, and I don't see any benefit to giving him more time.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I’m not convinced a clear out is needed. We have plenty of quality. We just need three things: a system (or a couple of systems) that work, a coach who improves the players, and a manager who rewards players for playing well with more minutes.

Edit: and yes, obviously add some quality when available, but that will come naturally with results and the money we have at our disposal.

To be honest I think a lot of people think our playing squad is better than it actually is. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rigs said:

To be honest I think a lot of people think our playing squad is better than it actually is. 

Not at all, for me. Best squad we've had since 08/09.

In the most basic of analysis; We were deservedly beaten by 2 sides who between them it would be a push to say you'd take more than 3 players for our starting 11: Bournemouth (0) & Palace (3).

Looking at the squad we finished 11th a couple of seasons ago it would be hard to make a case we aren't improved across the board: Digne for Targett with Carlos and Chambers in for defense, Kamara (would also say Sanson although he never plays) in midfield and I'd say at least comparable in attack (depending on how much you rated Jack) losing Grealish & Trez and bringing Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey and Ings. The bench is also night and day.

I'm not saying we can't improve but the addition of any number of players isn't going to make even half the difference that getting our existing players to perform in a cohesive manner rather than 11 strangers would achieve.

2 hours ago, Rigs said:

This is true. But it’s a lot better than what we are seeing. No way should that Palace team be turning us over the way they did. Collectively we were a mess.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Podster said:

Sadly the people who decide if SG gets sacked dont read this forum, so I dont believe they are aware of the level of distain for SG.

While they probably don’t personally read them they will get summaries of current feelings from the base from the media/communications team.

• Like 1

I don’t think even Bruce at the end had quite the same unanimous level of feeling that he needs to go. There’s barely anyone supporting Gerrard and I bet even those who say keep are basing that on “too soon” rather than any real confidence he can turn it around. 

• Like 1

I was a Steve supporter. I follow Rangers from a distance and saw things there that made me believe that he knew what he is doing.

Now, he looks worse than Lampard and far worse than Rooney from the English international turned Manager pile.

Villa has far too much talent to allow this to go on much further 

On the squad. 

Digne - Has looked poor for me thus far this season. I always thought Targett was "ok" defensively but poor going forward. Digne looks a little less solid defensively but has more ability going forward, although currently he appears to be out of form and his end product / crossing is no better than Targett currently. So for me we have come off worse in that deal as we have gained barely anything going forwards but have lost solidity at the back.

Carlos was looking decent - Now he's out for the season of course and we 100% need a replacement.

Kamara - Looks good but he is lost in the sea of incompetence & confusion ahead of him...That is more on Gerrard than the players he has at his disposal for me.

My questions are: What the heck happened to Nakamba? All last season Gerrard was saying how he loved him & how well he adapted to his system etc... His reward? He gets bombed out! What sort of message does that give out? 

We always look more solid with Dougie... Where is he? Him as an 8 & Kamara would surely make sense?

Sanson - Still not had a real chance in this team. He is clearly a guy who needs a run of games to get up to speed. He has never had that.

Traore & Elghazi I understand as they do not fit in with this bizarre, unknown & unfathomable style we are having forced on us (Even though it clearly doesn't & hasn't worked for over half a season now!) Again, that's on the manager!

The dropping of Ings just as he had scored and ws looking better against Everton.

The captaincy saga

It just goes on & on & yet we look worse now than under DS. Shockingly bad in fact.

My prediction currently is relegation, we are that poor. Look at Bournemouth yesterday, absolutely hammered by Arsenal on their own patch. We lost to them 2-0!! Just digest that for a moment. Likely the worst team in the division & we lost 2-0 there. That is not a lucky 1-0 win...... 2-0!!! They have lost badly in all their games since.

The warning signs are clear & bright. 

Gerrard is not a coach - He has admitted as much.  We are a mess defensively, 6 goals already against 3 of the poorest teams (Maybe Palace aside), We are also barely creating chances and midfield is attrocious. I dread to think what'll happen when we play a stronger team although we won't have to wait long to find out.

Beale left and Crighton came in so we are effectively in unkonwn territory with this management team. From my viewpoint it looks a shambles and I simply fail to see another way other than a complete rethink or to get in a World Class experienced coach to sort this mess out.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I don’t think even Bruce at the end had quite the same unanimous level of feeling that he needs to go. There’s barely anyone supporting Gerrard and I bet even those who say keep are basing that on “too soon” rather than any real confidence he can turn it around. 

with gerrard, i was dead set on giving him last season & pre season (inc the transfer window) before i judged him, but to be brutally honest, what i have seen in these first 3 games, he needs to go, there are no excuses for the turgid football.

I dont think we are anywhere near a top 8 in terms of squad quality, but the squad is more than capable of comfortable mid table, but we just look like a relegation dog fight team, its really poor.

He needs to go.

2 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

On the squad. 

Digne - Has looked poor for me thus far this season. I always thought Targett was "ok" defensively but poor going forward. Digne looks a little less solid defensively but has more ability going forward, although currently he appears to be out of form and his end product / crossing is no better than Targett currently. So for me we have come off worse in that deal as we have gained barely anything going forwards but have lost solidity at the back.

Carlos was looking decent - Now he's out for the season of course and we 100% need a replacement.

Kamara - Looks good but he is lost in the sea of incompetence & confusion ahead of him...That is more on Gerrard than the players he has at his disposal for me.

My questions are: What the heck happened to Nakamba? All last season Gerrard was saying how he loved him & how well he adapted to his system etc... His reward? He gets bombed out! What sort of message does that give out? 

We always look more solid with Dougie... Where is he? Him as an 8 & Kamara would surely make sense?

Sanson - Still not had a real chance in this team. He is clearly a guy who needs a run of games to get up to speed. He has never had that.

Traore & Elghazi I understand as they do not fit in with this bizarre, unknown & unfathomable style we are having forced on us (Even though it clearly doesn't & hasn't worked for over half a season now!) Again, that's on the manager!

The dropping of Ings just as he had scored and ws looking better against Everton.

The captaincy saga

It just goes on & on & yet we look worse now than under DS. Shockingly bad in fact.

My prediction currently is relegation, we are that poor. Look at Bournemouth yesterday, absolutely hammered by Arsenal on their own patch. We lost to them 3-0!! Just digest that for a moment. Likely the worst team in the division & we lost 3-0 there. That is not a lucky 1-0 win...... 3-0!!! They have lost badly in all their games since.

The warning signs are clear & bright. 

Gerrard is not a coach - He has admitted as much.  We are a mess defensively, 7 goals already against 3 of the poorest teams (Maybe Palace aside), We are also barely creating chances and midfield is attrocious. I dread to think what'll happen when we play a stronger team although we won't have to wait long to find out.

Beale left and Crighton came in so we are effectively in unkonwn territory with this management team. From my viewpoint it looks a shambles and I simply fail to see another way other than a complete rethink or to get in a World Class experienced coach to sort this mess out.

we lost 2-0 to Bournemouth, but thats just semantics.

I hope Purslow can take a leaf out of Levy's book and be ruthless when it's obvious a manager isn't going to cut the mustard. Nuno had about half a pre-season and transfer window,  a win rate of 47.06%  and was axed after 17 games with Spurs in 7th place because of a bad run of defeats.   Gerrard's had much more time than that to work with and has achieved a lot less - practically nothing in fact.  TIme to be ruthless if there is someone better we can get.    

Â