Pre Match Thread

rjw63

Just now, jacketspuds said:

I have a really good feeling about today. 3-1 win with Bailey (2) and Buendia on the scoresheet and Watkins narrowly missing someone in row z.

So we score in the last 20 mins 🙃

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

How I would love to see wingers playing on the wing and Ings in the middle. I truly believe that get the crosses in and Ings will be the better option to score. Surely this the reason he scored so many before coming to Villa. Play to his ability rather than ask him to pay differently 

Not sure crosses worked for Ings last weekend.

That performance last week really dampened my optimism but one thing that gives me hope is that Everton are just as likely to not show up- especially on the road. They really are our scouse equivalent. Unbeaten in 6 against these- what an embarrassing stat for them 😀

Please just get the job done. Dont care how. 1-0 will do fine. Just start our number 10, for the love of God.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

MATCH DAY!! Woooooo!

International football can go to hell, so can summer and the heat, so can transfers and all that rubbish. I just want Villa Park, full to the brim, the Holte singing and the Villa Boys getting a win! UTV!

It is the hope that kills you

• Haha 4

I said last week that this is the most important match of the season. If we win and win convincingly, which we should because Everton are rubbish and we're at home, then it could kickstart the season. Obviously nothing comes for free but if these games arent ones to win easily then what are we doing in the Premier League? Anything less than a win and the fans will become toxic and quite frankly, they will have every reason to be.

I would take a 1-0 win with a goal off Diego Carlos' backside of course but we have to deliver a thoroughly impressive performance if there is any chance to getting some optimism going. I've finished sulking about last week now and feel good about our season but the team has to show up today and there are no excuses not too. It isn't up to the fans to get the team going, the team have to give the fans something to shout about.

Edited by R.Bear

Runs don't last forever. The question is, which one is coming to an end?

Will we l finally beat a team outside the bottom 3 (even if they're only outside it in goal difference and we're only one game in)

Will Everton end their run of no win against us in 6 games.

More importantly,  can Gerrard get the crowd on side before kick off by picking a team that doesn't exclude our best or most in form players.

Optimistic at the moment, surely we can get it together and click enough to beat our oldest, most played opposition who seem to be on an even worse run than we are.

Let's see how a 2 hour journey to the ground and the sun roasting me affects that optimism.

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

can Gerrard get the crowd on side before kick off by picking a team that doesn't exclude our best or most in form players.

Last season was 3 months ago, pre-season means absolutely nothing and no-one covered themselves in glory last week. In other words, there is no data whatsoever for form.

We have the better squad, both have managers living off their names rather than their merits, they looked much better than us on opening day. 

I’m not feeling very optimistic at all. 

If he's doesn't pick Mings & Buendia, then I honestly give up. 

I fully expect him to trot out the same team as last week, with no style of play, looking totally abject of ideas and seeing us either draw 0-0 or lose 0-1.

I hope I'm totally wrong and this post makes me look like an idiot later. 

12 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Serious question - what will your reaction be if we win and we play well?

If we play really well today and continue to do so I would be ecstatic.

My worst case scenario however is that Villa continue to scrape the odd win here and there, not having a clear style or idea but limping along averaging around 1 point per game. We would not be getting the most out of the team, but it may not be bad enough to change the manager.

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would be happy, What sort of stupid question is that 😂

The problem is the results are crap and the football is crap. Its why people have no faith in him, if we were showing some improvement he wouldnt be getting so much anger aimed at him

20 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Then people will be delighted and it will give us a bit of hope. But I think that outcome is unlikely tbh. 

The wrong questions are being asked to those that are doubtful or sceptical of Gerrard… it’s like there isn’t anything worthwhile to say or anything of substance…

There is no genuine fan who derives any pleasure from this club losing games and putting in poor performances…

What these questioners are not grasping is that SG sceptics have understandably (how many times do we have to explain and roll out the stats and examples?) lost faith and belief in the manager, think he’s doing a crap job and will continue to do so, we risk regression under him, he will do damage, we will continue being shit etc. etc.

Those that back him and believe in him, still have faith, are more than entitled to do so. Those that don’t are entitled to do so too…

We’d all be delighted with a positive, entertaining display and good result today… if the turnaround happens, that’s best for all.

Some of us just don’t see it and are fed up, that’s it.

Another concern is continuing to play poorly but while eking out a result here and there we’ll just be papering over the cracks and continue to decline and risk a damaging run of losses - prolonging the pain even further if you will. The worst case scenario is that we end up in a battle at the lower end of the league - surely no one wants that or wants to risk that. We need that top half finish asap.

Some of us don’t want another season wasted and for us to fall even further behind - it’s a waste of everyone’s time and makes the job that much more difficult for his successor.

Ok, let’s hope for a positive display today then… (last chance 😆).

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

Not sure if he's the religious type, but if I was Gerrard, I'd have been saying my prayers last night that Villa score within the first 10 and it gets VP rocking.

The longer today's game plays out without us taking the lead or at least showing some attacking dominance, I can see VP, with supporters hot from the sun, turning nasty very quickly. 

5 minutes ago, El Zen said:

We have the better squad, both have managers living off their names rather than their merits, they looked much better than us on opening day. 

I’m not feeling very optimistic at all. 

And they turned out to have an even softer underbelly than us last season. Not sure what it says if Lampard has managed to fix that and Gerrard hasn't.

It's a massive game today, particularly for Gerrard. Regardless of result, we need a decent performance where this a clear plan to win the game. If we don't have at least that, then I don't see what hope there is that Gerrard will come good.