Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

50 minutes ago, grobs said:

To be honest I think you are mental if you think the players are good enough. Don’t know how people who actually watch premier league football expect us to finish about 11th? What 9 teams do we have better players than 

To be honest I think you are mental if you think the players aren’t good enough. Don’t people who actually watch premier league football expect managers to actually play their best eleven with an actual effective system in place that can be adapted to suit the tempo of the match? Look at our manager and you’ll see that most (outside of a few of our nearest league neighbours) other teams have one that is better than ours. Ours stands on the sidelines staring at the pitch to see if each individual blade of grass is man enough instead of watching the game.  

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Whilst yesterday was a bad result especially with Arsenal and City coming up.We we’re inches away from taking the lead in the first half and lost to deflected goal.

Reverse those pieces of bad luck and we are 8th.

Ive watched two Villa sides get relegated in my time both were horrendously bad full of players not capable of competing in the division they were playing in.

This squad is nowhere near that.

Do you think West Ham fans think they going down?

Or Wolves?

Its a bad start to the season!

We win the first 4 a couple of years ago and finished 11th

We lost the first 4 in 97/98 and finished 7th (not 💯 on this but the year we signed Collymore)

Ignores an awful lot. 

8 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Whilst yesterday was a bad result especially with Arsenal and City coming up.We we’re inches away from taking the lead in the first half and lost to deflected goal.

Ive watched two Villa sides get relegated in my time both were horrendously bad full of players not capable of competing in the division they were playing in.

Or Wolves?

We lost the first 4 in 97/98 and finished 7th (not 💯 on this but the year we signed Collymore)

It’s not just a bad start to the season though is it - it’s a continuation of the six months prior to the new season as well. We have been awful since he joined and he has done nothing to show he is capable of turning it around. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Or Wolves?

If we had played well and just had margins against us, that would be fair.

However we have no system, horrible ingame decisions by management, horrible pregame decisions by management , horrible postgame decisions by management, 3 wins in the last 15 games, look like **** on the pitch, unrest among the players, growing distance between the supporters and the team

Its a clown fiesta at the moment. Change is needed.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MentalM said:

If we had played well and just had margins against us, that would be fair.

However we have no system, horrible ingame decisions by management, horrible pregame decisions by management , horrible postgame decisions by management, 3 wins in the last 15 games, look like **** on the pitch, unrest among the players, growing distance between the supporters and the team

Its a clown fiesta at the moment. Change is needed.

Again I’m not posting about Gerrard and his record going back into last season.

Im posting about the fact that we are four games into a season.

Four.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Yes it is a just bad start to the season.

Ive never heard of anyone getting relegated because of games that were lost the season before.

Its not a post in support  of SG

Its just a post about what is happening right no which is a bad start to the season nothing more nothing less.

It can and most probably will be fixed 

Going by that then Gerrard has only managed us for four games and so needs an entire season to see if he can turn it around… god knows where we could end up. 

15 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Ive never heard of anyone getting relegated because of games that were lost the season before.

Its just a post about what is happening right no which is a bad start to the season nothing more nothing less.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

we do, we have actually 2/3in Coutinho the 3rd highest transfer in history plus Bailey/Buendia. we just have a clown who doesnt want to risk them together or just one at a time

No, they all 3 of those players are absolutely tops £30mil players right now, and I'd currently have Bailey and Coutinho closer to 15mil. I dont mean ex £100mil players like Coutinho is. And I'm not talking about profile. I'm talking about not having a player that has £70-80million premier league output right now, like Grealish undoubtedly had for us for years.

46 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I initially replied to this post with Mat Kendrick’s tweet about the wording used by the club when Smith was dismissed. It referenced the form over the calendar year.

Then I deleted the post as I realised you were talking about villa not being relegated by the previous season’s form, rather than Gerrard being sacked because of it.

So to summarise, ok the club can’t be relegated from the previous season’s form, but a manager can be sacked because of it, because it literally happened last year.

On this -

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

The 97/98 season…how did Brian Little turn it around in the end? I still think of that 9 wins out of the final 11 games. Great stuff. I reckon dyeing his hair jet black and changing his name was a big factor.

Edit - I can see we’re in the relegation thread and not the various Gerrard/new manager threads so all this conversation is not as Gerrard centric as I initially thought it was. Apologies. Still waking up.

I think if Gerrard sticks around we will be in trouble.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3

Come on guys, all he needed was half of last season and a pre season and now just this season and a further pre season then I’m sure the 23/24 season will truly be something special! Don’t give up! 

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Going by that then Gerrard has only managed us for four games and so needs an entire season to see if he can turn it around… god knows where we could end up. 

Like I said 

This is not a post about SG he may fix it….he may get sacked and someone else may fix it.

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

Again I’m not posting about Gerrard and his record going back into last season.

Im posting about the fact that we are four games into a season.

Four.

For me its a process, and I also take in to consideration last season since I need to see progress in our play. I dont at the moment, so for me to consider Gerrards position I am judging his entire period with us. Sure, this season isnt a disaster pointwise already since we only played 4 matches, however playwise its a disaster, and has been for quite some time. To judge that, I need to include last season.

whilst there is a LONG way to go, the concerning thing is that apart from bournemouth there's no other team absolutely nailed on for the drop. normally you can pick 4/5 others too that you expect to be there or thereabouts i.e. the likes of everton, burnley, leeds, watford last season

this season, there's no other team apart from bournemouth that i look at and think "they're gonna really struggle this season"

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

whilst there is a LONG way to go, the concerning thing is that apart from bournemouth there's no other team absolutely nailed on for the drop. normally you can pick 4/5 others too that you expect to be there or thereabouts i.e. the likes of everton, burnley, leeds, watford last season

this season, there's no other team apart from bournemouth that i look at and think "they're gonna really struggle this season"

Bournemouth and Everton for me.

We stick with him this season and it’s Championship football next season. 

To most people it’s clear his style (lol as if he has one) of football and preferred line up is not working and he seems too stubborn to change it. How much of the new season do you waste? The longer you wait the less time the next guy has to get us firing again.