The Women’s European Championships 2022

Genie

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I know it's the same in the men's game. The have's and have nots but the drop off between the top sides and the rest is way too stark.

The commentator made the point that all the England players are full-time professionals. They didn't say how many (if any) of the NI players are. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The commentator made the point that all the England players are full-time professionals. They didn't say how many (if any) of the NI players are. 

Five players in the NI squad look to be playing for clubs likely to pay them the average salary of £30k a year.

Turning professional certainly seems to improve players and I remember when Aluko first turned pro, she improved quite a bit.

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Incredible turn/first touch for the 4th goal.

It was class. I wonder if people will still be having orgasms over it 20 years later like they do for that Bergkamp goal against Newcastle.

3 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Watching Spain Women, they look like they could be out there all night and still wouldn't score. Been very poor in front of goal despite their dominance. 

Perfect timing!

Congrats to Spain. I agree though that their problem is scoring goals - all tournament so far they've dominated possession but done next to nothing with it. I expect that will be the same when playing us - we'll probably score several against them yet have about 30% possession.

11 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Congrats to Spain. I agree though that their problem is scoring goals - all tournament so far they've dominated possession but done next to nothing with it. I expect that will be the same when playing us - we'll probably score several against them yet have about 30% possession.

Alexia Putellas and Jennifer Hermoso injuries is a huge miss for them.

That's two of the best attacking players in the world.

Edited by sne

On 15/07/2022 at 21:16, a m ole said:

These subs are all better than the ladies they replaced, were they rested?

The women they replaced were the players who tore Norway apart. I do agree they looked a bit tired in the first half, but it was their hard work that also left Norn Iron completely gassed in the second half. Not to take anything away from the subs, they were great. England looking to have some real strength in depth (watch them lose to Spain now I said that).

4 hours ago, MachoFantastico said:

Watching Spain Women, they look like they could be out there all night and still wouldn't score. Been very poor in front of goal despite their dominance. 

sounds like Spain men team at times

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's funny, the women seem to parallel the men in terms of style of play for most nations.

Doesn't a lot of nations have national football academies?

Sweden has 3 Covid cases, 2 players and a staff member. They don't have any PCR test left thou so can't test anyone else :D 

Feels like they should have prepared a bit better for this situation perhaps.

Â