The Women’s European Championships 2022

Genie

9 hours ago, robby b said:

No wonder Spain were pre-tournament favourites, they pressed and passed so well, were clearly technically superior to us, really dominated the 1st half and then overall dominated the 2nd too, and without their two best players, who are both out injured! 

Great goals from England though and great mentality and determination to keep fighting.

And then they got the 2021 Ballon d'Or winning player and captain Alexia Putellas injured just before the tournament having already gotten Jennifer Hermoso injured. She finished second in the Ballon d'Or race and scored 51 goals in 2021. Arguably the best attacker in the world.

'No wonder they looked a bit blunt going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I thought she was one of our better players. Couldn't get forward as much as usual as Spain had attackers doubling up on her. When they realised that Daly was the weak link on the other flank they switched, and LB was freed up to attack a bit more. 

Definitely a match won by astute tactical changes and correct substitutions. The Spanish feller was outthought by Wiegmann. 

I kind of agree. I'm a bit worried by both ladies at LB/LWB. 

Germany look really good, but Austria surprising me. Will be England’s biggest test by far if they meet in the final.

edit; having said that Spain were favourites weren’t they? Although Germany look better

Edited by a m ole

Sweden just had an excellent goal ruled out for offside. Yes, again, technically it may have been offside according to the rules but it just isn't in the spirit of why the rule exists. Why is it always being used as an excuse to rule out what are realistically perfectly good goals? So infuriating.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Sweden just had an excellent goal ruled out for offside. Yes, again, technically it may have been offside according to the rules but it just isn't in the spirit of why the rule exists. Why is it always being used as an excuse to rule out what are realistically perfectly good goals? So infuriating.

Yeah you gotta love those millimeter offsides where you can't even see if it's correct on the stills and replays. 

Apparently VAR is only using half the number of cameras compared to when the men plays (according to ex FIFA ref Jonas Eriksson) so they have less data to look at when making these calls.

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It has long been my opinion that every alteration to the laws of the game has been made to reduce the number of goals scored.

VAR has definitely achieved that end.

One of the most one sided quarter finals you'll see.

Dutch were absolute rank, a crime against football.

France have scored 10 if not for the only female GK I've ever seen look remotely competent, awful finishing and terrible finals balls.

Sue Smith constant praise of bad decision after bad decision making in the final third is baffling.

30 yards out? 2 on the overlap and 4 players on 1 defence? Decide to shoot into row z? "Unlucky worked the angle well"

Â