The Women’s European Championships 2022

Genie

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Whoever the 17 for Norway was is literally the worst professional sports person I've ever seen.

Was that the sub that came on and was booked a minute later?

Edited by delboy54
Typo

15 hours ago, jim said:

I’m not looking for anything just making an observation. 
After googling it, only 12% in the WSL are black or Asian. 

This is actually roughly in line with the demographics of the UK (harder to get hold of England specific figures, so might be a bit of an underestimate). It's the men's league which is unrepresentative :) 

Edited by Davkaus

31 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Was that the sub that came on and was booked a minute later?

The left back that everyone was stating was getting exposed when in reality she would just stand square on when anyone ran at her, then was completely bamboozled when they dropped the shoulder and went past her.

We scored eight and yet I didn't think that the keeper was clearly at fault for any of them (maybe she was a little for one or two)... she got let down by her defence and midfield, they were more at fault than her, and there was a lot of brilliant clinical finishing from England. Also, our kid Earps has been fine so far, hasn't put a foot or hand wrong. 

I noticed quite a lot of shockingly poor keeping in the women's game for some years when I first started following women's football but I feel the continued female goalkeepers slating is probably a bit OTT now as I think that the standard overall has started to improve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The left back that everyone was stating was getting exposed when in reality she would just stand square on when anyone ran at her, then was completely bamboozled when they dropped the shoulder and went past her.

Yeah she looked like she took inspiration for marking from the film 'It follows'. 

22 hours ago, colhint said:

i can't believe  you  said  this . Is because of lack of knowledge . or ignorance on the subject ? when you look  at Englands  most capped players  30% are black women. Do you think our Olympic relay teams should be made up by colour quotas.

What the **** are you going on about? I made a very clear observation based on the current squad as I was watching the game. 

15 minutes ago, colhint said:

So who would you drop and who would you bring in instead

You seem to be having a hard time understanding the difference between 'I wonder why the women's game is more white than the men's at the top level' and 'I insist that more non-white women be played for England', even though they are very different.

• Like 3

I think there are quite a few points to be made on this.

FIrst , when I see a team I support doing well, it never cross's my mind what colour they are. Would I have Joffra back in the England team? Yes, not because of his colour but his ability. Itoge would be my first name on the England team. Sophia Dunkley should play at number three and Issy wong should be in the team on Friday. I have never seen an England team play with 4 slips and a gully before Issy. Would I choose any player based on colour over ability, never.

Secondly it rankles with me a bit, when a team is doing well, we tend to try to take it down, not enough youth, too many mates, no Villa players, and in this case doesn't seem to be many black players. And in this case it was i was I was watching the game and I didn't see any black players. I don't know who is in the squad. which must be the case if he didn't know if Nikita Parris was in the squad let alone Jess Carter. which puts us on par with quotas.

The third  point I agree with you. I think I do struggle with people who appear to have little little knowledge on a subject , but want to imply some sort of ism to it. 

Lets not forget, No African team has ever been near to qualifing for the world cup. You maybe the best player in the world, but even if you make it in the WSL, unless you make it to elite level you will earn less than a train driver. 

2 years ago the Liverpool goalie had to decide, they just got  relegated, stay on or do something else . She  decided she would  make  more  money working in a garden  center

It was very much the same old, same old, by Germany.

I've watched them a lot over the years, and I always get the same impression, that they just keep their shape, and wait for the opposition cock-up, and it happened again last night.

After admiring Spain's fantastic passing-game, I thought they might defy expectations, but once they had conceded early, and missed a golden chance, the outcome became inevitable.

I thought both sides looked better than England, who as usual romped home against a lesser team in Norway, but have yet to test their bottle against the likes of Germany and France.

England have the best collection of players ever but can they beat the old enemy.

Commentators on England women's games, need to learn that over-praise, is no praise at all.

9 hours ago, colhint said:

I think there are quite a few points to be made on this.

FIrst , when I see a team I support doing well, it never cross's my mind what colour they are. Would I have Joffra back in the England team? Yes, not because of his colour but his ability. Itoge would be my first name on the England team. Sophia Dunkley should play at number three and Issy wong should be in the team on Friday. I have never seen an England team play with 4 slips and a gully before Issy. Would I choose any player based on colour over ability, never.

Secondly it rankles with me a bit, when a team is doing well, we tend to try to take it down, not enough youth, too many mates, no Villa players, and in this case doesn't seem to be many black players. And in this case it was i was I was watching the game and I didn't see any black players. I don't know who is in the squad. which must be the case if he didn't know if Nikita Parris was in the squad let alone Jess Carter. which puts us on par with quotas.

The third  point I agree with you. I think I do struggle with people who appear to have little little knowledge on a subject , but want to imply some sort of ism to it. 

Lets not forget, No African team has ever been near to qualifing for the world cup. You maybe the best player in the world, but even if you make it in the WSL, unless you make it to elite level you will earn less than a train driver. 

2 years ago the Liverpool goalie had to decide, they just got  relegated, stay on or do something else . She  decided she would  make  more  money working in a garden  center

I'm not sure why you're so desperate to make @HanoiVillan's question a negative one.

Alan Sugar tweeting some pure nonsense about this.

Tweeted the other night saying it was weird they had no men working on the game when we have women shoehorned into coverage of the men's game. Many pointed out that there are lots of men working the tournament.

Then when Ian Wright was covering the next game he tweeted basically saying that it was because of his tweet that the BBC had buckled and added a man to the coverage

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Alan Sugar tweeting some pure nonsense about this.

Tweeted the other night saying it was weird they had no men working on the game when we have women shoehorned into coverage of the men's game. Many pointed out that there are lots of men working the tournament.

Then when Ian Wright was covering the next game he tweeted basically saying that it was because of his tweet that the BBC had buckled and added a man to the coverage

• Thanks 1

Considering their renowned athleticism and ability in other sports, it is surprising that there are not more black female footballers.

I would guess that it is mostly down to culture - like you don't see many British oiks playing pro tennis

It seems to depend on having a close relationship with their father, judging by the life stories of women who reached the top in the game.

Aluko had a brother who was a professional footballer, and England's Alex Greenwood is the daughter of a mad Everton fan.

Even England legend Kelly Smith relied on the support of her father, who founded a team so she could play, having been excluded from a boys team.

30 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Considering their renowned athleticism and ability in other sports, it is surprising that there are not more black female footballers.

I would guess that it is mostly down to culture - like you don't see many British oiks playing pro tennis

It seems to depend on having a close relationship with their father, judging by the life stories of women who reached the top in the game.

Aluko had a brother who was a professional footballer, and England's Alex Greenwood is the daughter of a mad Everton fan.

Even England legend Kelly Smith relied on the support of her father, who founded a team so she could play, having been excluded from a boys team.

The thread is going a bit off topic but I think the racism scandal about 7/8 years ago might have put off a generation of kids from playing football and moving onto other sports

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The thread is going a bit off topic but I think the racism scandal about 7/8 years ago might have put off a generation of kids from playing football and moving onto other sports

I'm white, I'm not trying to speak for anybody else, and I'm happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better, but one impression I have is that I've heard more young black women looking up to athletes like Johnson-Thompson or Asher-Smith than to footballers, and perhaps young black women who are good at sports might be keener to get into athletics, at least proportionately compared to young white women?

Â