The Women’s European Championships 2022

Genie

Just now, colhint said:

our big advantage in this tournament is our squad is by far the best ,maybe not the best team. They have to play a lot of games in a short time.

Pretty effing hot today too. Been working outside all day today and it nearly killed me. God knows how you'd play football in it.

28 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I'm even getting used to the high pitched din. I watched a couple of the villa ladies games and thought it was still not the best. 

The difference between them and this is frightening. Technicallly brilliant nowadays

the gulf between the top players and the mid-lower table players is vast. when you watch it at the top level the standard is better than people assume it to be

There is a distinct lack of diversity in this England team, is Parris still in the squad?
Looks to be a problem across the WSL as well.

Edited by jim

5 minutes ago, jim said:

There is a distinct lack of diversity in this England team, is Parris still in the squad?

Maybe there just ain't no decent players at the moment. I can't see it being treated any differently to the mens game. I find this a huge problem, when people just go looking for it.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Maybe there just ain't no decent players at the moment. I can't see it being treated any differently to the mens game. I find this a huge problem, when people just go looking for it.

I’m not looking for anything just making an observation. 
After googling it, only 12% in the WSL are black or Asian. 

• Like 1

Don't have to go looking for it to be pretty obvious! Would be interesting to see why it's the case - I could make a few assumptions about perception of the game, areas/circumstances in which women's football may be more heavily promoted and/or invested in etc., but in reality I haven't a clue.

On another note, those 'GOAL' signs are **** atrocious. What the actual ****.

Just now, Troglodyte said:

Don't have to go looking for it to be pretty obvious! Would be interesting to see why it's the case - I could make a few assumptions about perception of the game, areas/circumstances in which women's football may be more heavily promoted and/or invested in etc., but in reality I haven't a clue.

On another note, those 'GOAL' signs are **** atrocious. What the actual ****.

improves kids' enjoyment of the game, gets them to go back, maybe to a WSL game next season, therefore helps the game to grow

if these were at VP they would be atrocious, but they have a target market and need to do stuff like this

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jim said:

I’m not looking for anything just making an observation. 
After googling it, only 12% in the WSL are black or Asian. 

Your gonna get these percentages in womens football, because a huge percentage of men play and want to get into football, there's not many women at the moment or in the last 5 years who have been interested in football. I guess that'll change over the next 5 years and we may see more diversity in teams.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

improves kids' enjoyment of the game, gets them to go back, maybe to a WSL game next season, therefore helps the game to grow

if these were at VP they would be atrocious, but they have a target market and need to do stuff like this

Fair point - can see that.

I still feel a bit Graeme Souness about it though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Fair point - can see that.

I still feel a bit Graeme Souness about it though.

You wanna hear the advert on the radio for it, "hear come the goals", instead of hear comes the girls. Corny or what?

Edited by foreveryoung

What a performance from England tonight! Great movement and passing, this team is so talented. 

As for Norway, they may have a great front three but those three players need a better midfield. It's a waste if such gifted attackers get very little service. (Not taking anything away from the England team's pressing, which was very good).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

i can't believe  you  said  this . Is because of lack of knowledge . or ignorance on the subject ? when you look  at Englands  most capped players  30% are black women. Do you think our Olympic relay teams should be made up by colour quotas.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, colhint said:

i can't believe  you  said  this . Is because of lack of knowledge . or ignorance on the subject ? when you look  at Englands  most capped players  30% are black women. Do you think our Olympic relay teams should be made up by colour quotas.

Eh?

It is extremely, visibly clear that the England women's team is massively more white, right now, than the men's team. It does seem to have become more white in recent times. Nobody is saying there needs to be a quota, people are wondering out loud why the women's team looks very obviously different from the men's team at this point in time. 

• Like 2

Â