Next season's fixtures out

John

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes we obviously know we play the same away and home. But 4 in one month when u have two seems anit ridiculous to me

The PL say that they try and make sure a team has no more than 3 away games in any 5 game sequence. As long as the 4 away have at least 2 home games sandwiched between them they're meeting their commitments.

Edited by MrBlack

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Nonsense, clearly rigged, but for some reason, this conspiracy only started last season.

You’re right. I’ve found some leaked footage of a Premier league representative after giving us another promoted team away.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Happy Boxing Day at home but I hope the ground is actually full of Villa fans this time. 

I dont think this will be a Boxing Day game. With no games on 28th I can see Sky dragging the schedule out

• Like 2

First thoughts is that we seem to have more away than home games  pre sportswashing world cup break? I got it as 7 home, 9 away. 

Mind you given our home form this/last season perhaps that is for the best. Stupid 6 week break in which I will probably try to watch some non league football.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

It might have been said already but I've just looked at a side by side list of Bournemouth's starting eleven compared to ours, and arguably not one of their players would feature in our first eleven.

If our attitude and self belief are right it has to be a three point start. I expect a lot of sideways and backwards possession from them, but no real confidence or threat. 

It really is our own hands this season with more than half of the teams we play against.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

It might have been said already but I've just looked at a side by side list of Bournemouth's starting eleven compared to ours, and arguably not one of their players would feature in our first eleven.

If our attitude and self belief are right it has to be a three point start. I expect a lot of sideways and backwards possession from them, but no real confidence or threat. 

It really is our own hands this season with more than half of the teams we play against.

Agree with all this.

I’m glad we have a promoted team away. They will be really up for it and it will be a good indicator of how prepared  Gerrard has the team. Last season was an embarrassment against Watford. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Obviously that's no evidence the fixtures are rigged however I am surprised they aren't. If I was in charge of the premier league I would definitely be rigging the fixtures to suit TV companies. Given the money they pay I would be doing everything to make sure they have good product. Of course there are a lot of limitations in English football regarding fixtures, policing, teams who can't both play at home at the same time etc., but where possible I would fix the hell out of the fixture lists.  

As a second point I'm always amused as to how involved fans get with the fixture list, in reality it makes no real difference. You have to play all the teams twice home and away and every team will have a run of "easy"/"hard" fixtures at some point during the season. 

I read an article before that they include some things into the database to avoid like rivals not playing at home on the same day. Also major events in the area, they try if possible to keep Everton/Liverpool playing a high profile team on Grand National weekend for policing reasons

Just now, Zatman said:

I read an article before that they include some things into the database to avoid like rivals not playing at home on the same day. Also major events in the area, they try if possible to keep Everton/Liverpool playing a high profile team on Grand National weekend for policing reasons

Yup, a lot of teams are paired up and not allowed to play at home on the same day. On top of this, it's a consultative process, they try and make the clubs happy and facilitate any requests from clubs and authorities

Good article on it here (long article, just an excerpt below): https://theathletic.com/3358976/2022/06/12/premier-league-fixtures-computer/

If those are the bones of the fixture list, flesh is added in early spring. Questionnaires are sent to every club, who are asked for views and observations on the schedule placed in front of them. That brings the opportunity for feedback, with clubs able to make date requests to their relevant league.

One club might be keen to play away from home on the same weekend a major public event is taking place in their town or city.

Another might also request away games either at the end or beginning of a season, because of planned ground improvements. That was the case with Liverpool in 2016-17, when their first three league matches, taking them up to the September international break, were all away from Anfield as they added the finishing touches to their new main stand. Their first home fixture that season wasn’t until September 10.

The Premier League and EFL will do their utmost to accommodate date requests but offer no guarantees. The EFL, for example, typically receive between 80 and 90 date requests from their 72 clubs in any given season. They estimate about 85 per cent of those get granted.

Another key component of those feedback forms is which other team a club want to be paired with, thus avoiding the potential for them both playing at home on the same day.

Plenty of pairings are a given. Liverpool do not play home games in the same round of fixtures as cross-city rivals Everton. The same with the top flight’s two Manchester clubs, United and City. Local police forces are also involved in that stage of the process, limiting the threat of stretched resources in the emergency services.

Pairings can also span different divisions. Newcastle United and north-east neighbours Sunderland do not play home games on the same weekend, despite not facing each other since 2016 and being in different leagues again for 2022-23. Likewise Aston Villa of the Premier League and Championship Birmingham City.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

@limpid are we allowed to post the fixtures when they go up? Dont wanna get the site in trouble

Yes. It's been many years since that would have been illegal.

• Thanks 1

History to repeat itself come the end of the season with that opening game. 
I’ll make a start on the relegation 22/23 thread… 

:trollface:

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think this will be a Boxing Day game. With no games on 28th I can see Sky dragging the schedule out

Last couple of years they've managed to get a live game every day between boxing day and new years haven't they? 

Didn't amazon do the same with one of their weeks too? 

There's obviously a lot of changes to come once the TV companies get their grubby mits on it, as inconvenient as humanly possible too so expect Bournemouth and Newcastle away to change 

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Seriously ? - a promoted minnow club - then the shambles that is Everton - don't think it gets much easier tbh.

I'm alluding to our record against promoted teams, not exactly great. Remember Watford last season...be wary...Villa need to be on it. Bournemouth is a terrible ground to play at for the opposition.

Perhaps our record will change against the promoted teams, I hope so!

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Last couple of years they've managed to get a live game every day between boxing day and new years haven't they? 

Didn't amazon do the same with one of their weeks too? 

There's obviously a lot of changes to come once the TV companies get their grubby mits on it, as inconvenient as humanly possible too so expect Bournemouth and Newcastle away to change 

Tv games are already scheduled first weekend by the looks of it and Bournemouth is a 3pm kick off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure what the rationale is. Are they expected to rest players and give their opponents on that week an easier game?

I actually think people are missing the point here. No top 6 teams games that weekend means they're more likely to play Sat instead of Sun (seems we're playing Brighton on the Friday) so in this era of sporting "marginal games" Southgate obviously wants vast majority of his squad at the camp by Saturday evening instead of rolling in the next day later.

England are playing on the 1st day of the world cup on the following Monday so next to no chance of organizing any warm up games with that tight timeframe.

As for us let's hope we get a decent pre season this time as last time for many reasons it was a bit of a joke and that was reflected by us being 3 down to Watford after an hour which summed up the season a bit.

Bournemouth to me are the weakest of the promoted teams by a mile so it's a very winnable game if we get our preparation right. As is Everton at home the next weekend.