Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

5 minutes ago, Risso said:

Is he? Forget that then, as you were. The point about lack of experience stands though.

Right footed but played at left centre back at Sevilla 

The perfect replacement for Mings as in size & aggression, sure will find out now how well his injury has healed, gutted for Mings colossal player for us & hope it's not a season ending injury let alone a career ending one 

5 hours ago, Frodo said:

The perfect replacement for Mings as in size & aggression, sure will find out now how well his injury has healed, gutted for Mings colossal player for us & hope it's not a season ending injury let alone a career ending one 

This is how I see it. He’s the obvious Mings replacement but he just doesn’t have the experience and still won’t have settled into the PL. going to be a really shakey few months at the back ☹️

• Like 1

Looks to be an opportune time to start him alongside Pau, and break up the Mings/Konsa partnership due to the unfortunate injury to Ty, and drop Ezri to third choice. We most likely would have persisted with that partnership for quite a while and rightly so due to their form last season.

Bring Moreno back in and suddenly we look a whole different proposition in our build up play.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think some of us may be underestimating how good this guy is. He was really highly rated when we signed him and had been a big part of a successful Sevilla side with an excellent defensive record.

I have seen nothing to suggest that he isn't fully recovered from his injury and his rehabilitation and introduction back into first team football seems to have gone really well over the last few months. He would have been pushing for a starting spot anyway, the Mings injury just means he is going to have to step up to the plate now. 

It will require us to make some signing to replace Mings who is better than Torres or Carlos in terms of ability. My bigger concern is who can replace Mings in terms of leadership qualities but given that Carlos was made vice captain under Gerrard (and I know that may not be a ringing endorsement) it may be that he can step up in that regard as well. 

Abso-****-ing-lutely. He isn't Tyrone -- very different personality -- the "eco-system" of the squad is going to adapt in terms of leadership, but no reason to think it won't.

8 hours ago, Spoony said:

This is how I see it. He’s the obvious Mings replacement but he just doesn’t have the experience and still won’t have settled into the PL. going to be a really shakey few months at the back ☹️

This is why I think we may hedge our bets a bit and play 3 at the back for a month or so

Has to start with Torres for me now as our new partnership. And we need to give them a run of games to settle and learn each others game, no knee-jerk reactions.

For me Torres and Carlos will compliment each other the best with Torres being the calm, ball playing defender; with Carlos being the dominant, aerial ball winning defender. The language barrier will also be easiest with those two both speaking Spanish.

For me Konsa is better with Mings being the more vocal defender next to him and organising the defence, he fell apart after Mings went off although the whole back line suffered and our high line was a shambles.

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

So with all the extra games who do we rotate? We going to use chambers at cb?

I think that's difficult as he's slow so can't work properly in the high line. I think we need a new RB / RCB type player now. Then Konsa is more CB option with Carlos and Torres.

We'll need to throw everyone into deep end to learn 

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think that's difficult as he's slow so can't work properly in the high line. I think we need a new RB / RCB type player now. Then Konsa is more CB option with Carlos and Torres.

We'll need to throw everyone into deep end to learn 

I would agree unless we have any players in the u21s that can step up?

Feel like in much the same way that Mings and Konsa suited each other as a partnership, he and Torres are the best for one another out of the other CBs at the club. Fitness permitting would be interesting to see how they worked alongside one another.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So with all the extra games who do we rotate? We going to use chambers at cb?

Pau/Carlos, Pau/Konsa or Carlos/Konsa.  With Chambers to come on as sub to see a game out if one of them need subbed.  Kamara also used to be a centre back so could play there if need be.

We had people on here asking why were even signing Pau as they felt we had enough centre backs at the club.

Â