Midweek Football 16/19 May

andykeenan

4 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Yip, they are a plucky wee bunch aren’t they. Quite comical as they run about trying to win this third rate trophy. It’s going to be hilarious watching them against Madrid or Liverpool in the European Super Cup Final if they manage to fluke their way to the title here. 

Come on- that's not fair. The fairs cup/uefa/europa cup/league has always been second rate.

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Was just about to write this must be the weakest Europa League final ever, then I looked back and found finals between Shakhtar-Werder Bremen and Sevilla-Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.

The standard is not great but refreshing to have other teams in it , which doesn't happen in the CL.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The standard is not great but refreshing to have other teams in it , which doesn't happen in the CL.

Plus then you get the estimated 100.000 rangers fans and 50.000 frankfurt fans travelling to experience it, easy to knock this cup (mainly because of UEFA) but it still means something to fans

If those numbers are to be believed obviously

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think he's been good, tbh.

Yeah, me too. Commentators here are calling him the undisputed MOTM even. 

9 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Was just about to write this must be the weakest Europa League final ever, then I looked back and found finals between Shakhtar-Werder Bremen and Sevilla-Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.

It could have been a Barca v Dortmund final but they weren’t good enough to get that far. Frankfurt and Rangers are there because they are best teams in the competition. The Champions League teams are no different from the teams that have competed for the Europa League other than the usual suspects of City, Liverpool, Madrid, Chelsea, Athletico Madrid and Bayern Munich, in my opinion. Leipzig were semi finalists a year or so ago in CL and Rangers put them away. I honestly don’t believe they get the credit they deserve for what they have achieved. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

It could have been a Barca v Dortmund final but they weren’t good enough to get that far. Frankfurt and Rangers are there because they are best teams in the competition. The Champions League teams are no different from the teams that have competed for the Europa League other than the usual suspects of City, Liverpool, Madrid, Chelsea, Athletico Madrid and Bayern Munich, in my opinion. Leipzig were semi finalists a year or so ago in CL and Rangers put them away. I honestly don’t believe they get the credit they deserve for what they have achieved. 

The nature of knock out football

Â