vs Man Utd in Perth (July 23rd)

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I'm not comparing. It's an illustration to argue that our midfields are always shit regardless or personnel or who coaches them.

Go on though, let's say it's all the manager's fault, who would you put in charge tomorrow that would definitely take the Villa job?

I can't say I have a list of interviewees. I don't run a football club, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to the evidence that points toward Gerrard being a poor coach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This match should probably be abandoned in these conditions to be fair 

I just see unnecessary injuries happening.

Better make sure your buddy Leon stays on that bench wrapped in cotton wool!

• Sad 1

Wow, where do you start? Pitch isn’t helping anyone but it’s turgid.

McGinn is playing well, Coutinho the only quality. Watkins looks out of his depth today, Ings looks slow, two up top isn’t helping our game at all.

Goals conceded poor. Mings actually looks a problem today.

Kamara hasn’t turned up.

Would to see a forward off and  Buendia or even Bailey on.

Surely we can’t be any worse second half?

I'm not blaming SG alone, but maybe it's time we accept that a few of our darlings aren't gonna take us any further. 

People want to pick on Watkins, and if I'm honest he needs to do better. However you can argue, that McGinn over a long period hasn't been good enough often enough and Mings is falling into that category too.

At the moment the only system we seem to have is get it wide to Digne or Cash who put crosses under pressure into two strikers who are out of sync with each other and the rest of the team.

Similar to the Grealish days we're then going to rely on Coutinho to produce some magic moment to give us any hope...

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Absolutely nothing as changed from last season. 

At least this should hopefully calm down the Europe talk again. 

But seriously why would it ?

Gerrard has been here since November - he's had hours on the training pitch with the players.

The idea that 4/5 over the summer was going to transform is was always a long shot imo.

• Like 1

Forwards are the difference for me. Sancho and Rashford have pace and are willing to run behind - Watkins and Ings don’t and aren’t

Archer, Luiz and Buendia for Watkins, Ings and mcginn at half-time

Easy to overreact to this but early days - I’m still confident we’ll be ok next season 

• Like 2

At one stage, we had Kamara with the ball in the opposition half, he looked to his left and found a static JJ maybe 5 yards away on the same line. So he propped, turned to his right and saw a static McGinn 10 yards away again on the same line - but with his back turned.

There was nobody else even remotely close with a bunch of ManUre players starting to close him down.

We turned over possession.

In a microcosm - that explains our play so far. Disjointed, slow, lack of urgency, individualistic. I really hope Neil Critchley can stamp some style on us - and soon!

• Like 4

Just now, AV82 said:

I can't say I have a list of interviewees. I don't run a football club, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to the evidence that points toward Gerrard being a poor coach.

Job title aside, all evidence would suggest he's not actually the one who coaches them.

So I think what you mean to say is that Beale and more recently Critchley (though early days for him) are poor coaches.

Add to that Danks, O'Kelly, Terry, and pretty much everyone who has led training under the last couple of managers, because we've always played shit football.

It's not as simple as, "Stevie G is shit innit"

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Not an encouraging half of football.

Same struggles in possession, midfield not linking up well, resorting to hopeful punts forward.

Coutinho has been really poor, I don’t know why we had a collective brainfart for their second goal, perhaps they were distracted by the brief monsoon.

That being said, United have been very good with the ball, good movement and pressing off the ball too which has made it tough for us.

This is why it's so frustrating...  You can see after a preseason, Man United look like they're transformed into an organized and dangerous side with no new signings in this 11 they put out...  We still look as lost and disjointed as we have been during the 2nd half of last season, even after two Champions League quality additions to the 1st team.  Pathetic.  

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

The weather and pitch is shocking and neither team should be playing in it.

If you hadn’t noticed, Villa aren’t actually playing at the moment 😂

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I find it amazing that people want us to be playing intricate passing on this absolute pudding of a pitch. 

The other team seem to be coping alright on it

• Like 2

Fine, you gave it a shot against Premier League opposition with a stronger base in Carlos and Kamara. It did not work. If Gerrard doesn't make changes at HT and try something new he's a fool.

Â