Battle for top half finish

turvontour

9th or 10th. This means we at least better Palace, Fulham and Brentford from here.

Either way that’s progress. What’s most important is momentum and the side gelling with Emery’s ideas, we will want to see clear progress on the pitch so Summer recruitment even improves on that. Basically what Newcastle have done. It is possible.

Edited by thunderball

10 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

I think ppl quoting us finishing with around 45pts is complete rubbish.  That is what our CURRENT average is.  18pts/15 games = 1.2pts/game x 38 games = 45.6pts

A few other numbers to think about:

Under Gerrard: 9pts/11 games = 0.82pts/game

After Gerrard: 9pts/4 games = 2.24pts/game

Under Emery: 6pts/2 games = 3pts/game

There haven’t been enough games after Gerrard to properly predict an estimate for pts/games for the rest of the season. There are good reasons to believe it will be more than 1.2pts/game, but most likely it wouldn’t be as high as 2.24pts/game. (That would take us to 70 points.) Something around 55pts would be fantastic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That’s another 27 points over 23 remaining games. Which works out to be 1.17 PPG.

This would equal the worst 23 league game run of Emery's entire career to date.

On 16/11/2022 at 12:17, Laughable Chimp said:

FiveThirtyEight predicts us to finish on 48 points and just squeeze the top 10.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

If you look at their probability distributions, they predict that there's a 90 percent chance we end up somewhere in between 16th and 7th. That's a massive range of positions but I find it hard to disagree with. Midtable is often tight and we're only one third a way through the season, a lot can happen still.

Seems on the low end to me, presumably becuase it's going to be heavily based on results and perfomances under Gerrard this season still. The last projection before Gerrard was sacked (post-Chelsea) had us at 46 points. Two point improvement doesn't feel reflective of the improvement in manager. Preseason that same projection had us getting 54 points. Same ppg as that from now to end of this season would get us to 51 points.

• Like 1

A strong finish to the season and sixth is possible; seems a long way off but the table is tight. Liverplop and Manure aren't exactly doing great.

Emery will get the Villa playing with strategy, game management etc this will help us push on up the table. The World Cup should help him implement what he wants the team to look like.

If this team is as good as it seems on paper and we stay healthy, we can still make a challenge for Europe this season.  Hell, imagine if Emery has the same effect on Villa as Howe has had on Newcastle since he arrived there.  

That said, I don't care where we finish this season as long as we continue to show progress tactically and mentally.  I want to see the team continue to fight for a result in every game and develop the resiliency to regularly come from behind and/or see games out.  

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

If this team is as good as it seems on paper and we stay healthy, we can still make a challenge for Europe this season.  Hell, imagine if Emery has the same effect on Villa as Howe has had on Newcastle since he arrived there.  

That said, I don't care where we finish this season as long as we continue to show progress tactically and mentally.  I want to see the team continue to fight for a result in every game and develop the resiliency to regularly come from behind and/or see games out.  

One would imagine if Villa do continue to improve confidence, mentality and tactically then we will be top ten at least.

I believe we have a strong and competitive squad to push for even higher than that by the end of this season.

7 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

,so if you move us up above those teams we will be 7/8thIMHO,we are better (now ) than Palace,Brentford,Fulham and Brighton,so if you move us above those teams we finish 7/8th.

We aren't finishing above Newcastle. Despite being Man. United the other week they're still 7 points above us and have a pretty easy second half of home games.

We're in the mix with Liverpool/Chelsea but think it will be same as Arsenal two seasons ago. Even if we get ahead of one of them they can just reel off a 5 game winning streak at key moment.

So unless Spurs totally implode we aren't finishing 7th. We can certainly battle with Brighton and probably Leicester for 8th though.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

We aren't finishing above Newcastle. Despite being Man. United the other week they're still 7 points above us and have a pretty easy second half of home games.

We're in the mix with Liverpool/Chelsea but think it will be same as Arsenal two seasons ago. Even if we get ahead of one of them they can just reel off a 5 game winning streak at key moment.

So unless Spurs totally implode we aren't finishing 7th. We can certainly battle with Brighton and probably Leicester for 8th though.

Chelsea look to be weakest after Brighton who will surely drop out of the top eight.

Liverpool seem a bit iffy too so sixth isn't impossible, it is a longshot but confidence will be high under Emery's management.

• Like 1

There's no way we're finishing above any of Liverpool, Chelsea, or Man Utd, not even worth thinking about, Man Utd have been one of the most in form teams in the league over the last twelve games, first two games aside they're actually in good form, Chelsea even if they have a bad season by their standards will still comfortably finish above us same for Liverpool.

Top six I think come the end of the season will be the usual 'big six', Chelsea and Liverpool can easily make the ground on Newcastle, both have a game in hand, and bearing in mind Chelsea and Liverpool probably due a upturn in results and Newcastle the opposite, Newcastle might end up being like the Leicester of recent seasons past, look like getting top four but then fall short, and I think Newcastle might run out of steam sooner than Leicester have done.

As such I feel we'd more likely finish above Newcastle than the the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea or Man Utd, although not expecting us to finish above Newcastle either, Newcastle should have a good chance of finishing seventh which from the lofty vantage point of the hype they're getting at the moment might seem somewhat underwhelming, but all things considered would actually be a very good season for them.

For us top eight doesn't seem totally out of the question, would be good, but I feel any kind of top half finish would represent a decent season for us, especially after having to change managers because of a poor start, and some of the injuries we've had.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Chelsea look to be weakest after Brighton who will surely drop out of the top eight.

Liverpool seem a bit iffy too so sixth isn't impossible, it is a longshot but confidence will be high under Emery's management.

Yeah Chelsea are in proper transition, not even sure Potter will last the season the state they're in but reminds me of attempting to finish above Arsenal two seasons ago when they were in a similar mess.

We'll tick along fine under Emery but we could easily go 4-5 games without a win with run of fixtures so very difficult to get close to top 7 with form like that unless you're actually established in it like Newcastle are currently.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

231 million net spend since takeover didn't hurt

A third of that was spent on Isak, who's barely played yet. A closer look at what they've actually bought, heck it's even more impressive. Trippier was a real masterstroke for 14m.

Also it's not like we haven't spent anything these last few years. On paper we certainly have the stronger team. It's gonna be really interesting seeing what Emery can get out of them. I wouldn't be surprised if we still manage to challenge for top6. 

I too love the positivity at the moment. As Villa fans we’ve all lived the 1 step forward 2 steps back history for far too long. Now, with Emery I genuinely feel that we can beat anyone as he has the tactical mindset we’ve lacked for decades.

We’ve just comfortably beat Utd at home, something not done for years and it was obvious to anyone watching that there was a plan in place. We’ll lose games of course but he will have us well drilled, tactfully mindful of our opposition and set up to succeed. Happy days. I just wish he’d been in post for the Newcastle game as I’m so tired of their fans lording it all over Twitter at the minute. 

I feel that our realistic ceiling for this season is 8th. Just behind the Top/SKY 6 and Newcastle (who at 12 points in front are just too far ahead of us to catch imo) in whatever order they finish. I see no reason why we can’t end the season ahead of those other teams, especially now we have the away win monkey off our back (hopefully). This of course depends if we can keep this decent home form going, it’s been too long since we’ve been a difficult team to beat at Villa Park in the PL.

Â