Battle for top half finish

turvontour

2 hours ago, Xela said:

The negativity flows through this forum nowadays like a disease. It was never this bad under Lambert! I'm not sure what has happened to fans. Whether it's just Villa or every team nowadays? The need for instant success and everything needing to be a linear improvement with no exceptions. its like some don't actually enjoy being a fan. Its just a game that we have no control over. Enjoy the ride! 

As a club we are in great shape and plenty to be optimistic about. We very nearly never had a cub 4 years ago. 

Maybe it’s not the forum that’s changed. I remember the lambert and later Lerner years being incredibly toxic.

On your point about “enjoying the ride” I agree to an extent, but if the ride is very dull and i’m sure it’ll end poorly then why wouldn’t I voice my concern.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

I don't enjoy being a Villa fan. Plus, I genuinely believed in what DS was doing for the long haul, and feel the board jumped the gun at the second sign of trouble.

The first sign of trouble, incidentally, was the time of our miracle escape from relegation in our first season back, where I enjoyed the camaraderie on this forum after lockdown more than any other time, and the board did the right thing by sticking to the manager to prove himself capable. Which is exactly what happened. I don't expect ceaseless progression, and I do expect exceptions, like the start of this season, which I believed would pass and we'd be a vastly improved squad by now with someone to believe in and serious money to spend.

None of this matters of course. Which is why I waste time giving a largely meaningless opinion on this particular football forum, hoping for the best.

Take a break if you aren't enjoying it imo. 

Just now, Villa_Vids said:

Take a break if you aren't enjoying it imo. 

How I would love that!

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Really?

Yes really. I also wear a Villa top when playing football in the South West with a kind of tortured pride. I love the Villa. My mate's a Liverpool fan, now he enjoys being a Liverpool fan. In fact he said Liverpool were the best thing that ever happened to him. Villa are not the best thing to happen to me. It often feels the opposite. 

7 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Yes really. I also wear a Villa top when playing football in the South West with a kind of tortured pride. I love the Villa. My mate's a Liverpool fan, now he enjoys being a Liverpool fan. In fact he said Liverpool were the best thing that ever happened to him. Villa are not the best thing to happen to me. It often feels the opposite. 

I love the Villa. I'll always enjoy being a Villa fan, even when its not going well. Although Lambert did push me to my limit! 

It's about hope though, the hope we will become great again, the hope we will win things, thats the real joy of being a fan, for me anyway! The excitement of a new transfer window, the new signings, the anticipation of how we will fare. That the buzz for me. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

How I would love that!

Fair enough. I think we all feel like that at some point. It will pass. I trust NSWE to move us forward and create more happy memories. There is a lot to look forward to imo - I don't get the defeatist mentality, I do not like to read it too. It is a poor choice to be like that. 

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

The first sign of trouble, incidentally, was the time of our miracle escape from relegation in our first season back, where I enjoyed the camaraderie on this forum after lockdown more than any other time

You remember it very differently to me, until we pulled out those last four results this place was still toxic despite better performances against Sheffield Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle, Wolves and Liverpool. Camaraderie might have come after the Arsenal game but even after we gave up the lead at Everton this was a very negative environment.

6 minutes ago, mole86 said:

You remember it very differently to me, until we pulled out those last four results this place was still toxic despite better performances against Sheffield Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle, Wolves and Liverpool. Camaraderie might have come after the Arsenal game but even after we gave up the lead at Everton this was a very negative environment.

It wasn't entirely like that at all. At risk of having comments deleted and being told off like a schoolboy, I'll bring this on topic and tie these things together. This was the best place to be for the run in directly after the restart; the humour, the trauma, the hope, the despair, it was all here and I loved it! I remember the debate that it was somehow, incredibly, still in our hands when all looked lost because it was! It was difficult to see as it needed a fair bit of working out and also belief... Belief.

So, if we win our remaining 2 games it's possible to finish top 10. This seems unlikely. Liverpool have just beaten Southampton, which means if we have the audacity to draw or even win against Man City and Liverpool win, Liverpool win the league and we become unlikely heroes across the footballing world (for those who despise the wealth of City). I put this to my Liverpool friend and the derision on his face of such an eventuality, of pathetic old Villa actually doing any such thing kind of hurt.

Put any other team around us in the same scenario, like Brighton, Everton, Palace, Brentford, Leicester to get a draw against City and would the same automatic dismissal happen? I honestly think not. But VILLA doing this!? Don't be stupid. I've gone from the belief of that season under Smith that anything was possible, to agreeing with that dismissive look that Villa are too predictably pathetic to give anybody any hope.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

It wasn't entirely like that at all. At risk of having comments deleted and being told off like a schoolboy, I'll bring this on topic and tie these things together. This was the best place to be for the run in directly after the restart; the humour, the trauma, the hope, the despair, it was all here and I loved it! I remember the debate that it was somehow, incredibly, still in our hands when all looked lost because it was! It was difficult to see as it needed a fair bit of working out and also belief... Belief.

Fair enough, I’m not trying to downplay your memory of that time but I don’t recall that at all, certainly until after the Palace game.

11 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

I've gone from the belief of that season under Smith that anything was possible, to agreeing with that dismissive look that Villa are too predictably pathetic to give anybody any hope.

This has hit the nail on the head for me....( tbh after hearing the Liverpool fans  booing at the cup final I don't care which one of the two shit shows win)

I don't expect instant success, trophies, or even top 10 for the moment. But the bare minimum I expect is win or lose, that I enjoy watching Villa play and that there's some promise shown on the pitch pointing to some form of progression in the future. There's not really much of that at the moment beyond "we're going to spend a lot of money in tbe summer". 

For reference, that was there in our first season up which was a losing season where we stayed up on the last day, and even during Lambert's first season where we broke a lot of unwanted records. This season feels like Bruce's first season here. Streaky, inconsistent and ultimately boring football that doesn't inspire with a big summer on the horizon. We'll probably finish 13th too just like 5 years ago. I was patient then, and I'll be patient now but I'd be lying if I said supporting Villa is fun at the moment.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't expect instant success, trophies, or even top 10 for the moment. But the bare minimum I expect is win or lose, that I enjoy watching Villa play and that there's some promise shown on the pitch pointing to some form of progression in the future. There's not really much of that at the moment beyond "we're going to spend a lot of money in tbe summer". 

For reference, that was there in our first season up which was a losing season where we stayed up on the last day, and even during Lambert's first season where we broke a lot of unwanted records. This season feels like Bruce's first season here. Streaky, inconsistent and ultimately boring football that doesn't inspire with a big summer on the horizon. We'll probably finish 13th too just like 5 years ago. I was patient then, and I'll be patient now but I'd be lying if I said supporting Villa is fun at the moment.

Yeah this is pretty me as well.

I’m so excited by the owners, the stadium development, the infrastructure, the youth development and youngsters, the sell out crowds and the future.  Just what’s on the pitch is the big let down.  

The season ticket prices have peeved me off including the massive concessions increases which has affected my family considerably.  The transportation is getting worse from the stadium.

So essentially aside from the game day, everything is exciting at the moment 😂. Looks like I might be the only one left in my family renewing my season ticket as the season ticket price increases were the final nail in the coffin but even I’m on the fence. I may just become an armchair fan given we can see all the games at home via various means these days.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Pretty pathetic end to the season. Really annoying to finish a point or so behind Brentford and Newcastle, particularly with our superior goal difference. A 10th to 12th place finish feels quite a bit different to a 14th place finish to me.

Edited by turvontour

On 17/05/2022 at 21:27, Xela said:

I love the Villa. I'll always enjoy being a Villa fan, even when its not going well. Although Lambert did push me to my limit! 

It's about hope though, the hope we will become great again, the hope we will win things, thats the real joy of being a fan, for me anyway! The excitement of a new transfer window, the new signings, the anticipation of how we will fare. That the buzz for me. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up mate. Bar Leicester its been virtually impossible anyone outside the top 6 to actually win something. One day we might get into the Europa Conference League. Maybe.

Getting only two points from our last two home games of the season against Palace and Burnley, is more than annoying, given had we managed two wins, we would now be sitting 9th. :(  

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

• 5 months later...
18 hours ago, useless said:

Beat United tomorrow and we will be just one point off top half with a winnable game to then come against Brighton.

Villa. Not. Yet. Done.

Brighton won't be easy, but win that and we will be just three points off them.

Looks like being in the top half during the World Cup break will be out of our reach though as Liverpool need just one point from today or at home to Southampton next weekend to make it impossible for us.

At least it's impossible for us to drop into the bottom three before the World Cup now, Wolves and Forest can't catch us, Southampton would need a big win against Liverpool and to hope we also suffered an heavy defeat to Brighton, and even if that unlikely scenario came to pass it still wouldn't result in us dropping into the bottom three as Everton and Bournemouth are playing each other, meaning it's only possible for one of them to go above us next weekend.

Still work to do but hopefully we can start targetting some of the top half teams second half of the season, top half finish would be good progress.

Â