Match Thread: West Ham v Villa

limpid

It’s a gritty game. We’ve come with a game plan and that is to take as much time out of the game as possible, certainly up until half time. 

West Ham lack quality in key areas. If we play as well as we did in the second half against Leeds, we can win this. They’re a decent side but nothing special. I actually don’t think we’ve been great. We need to get the ball to the strikers more. 

Not the best half of football, but we’ve done alright so far. We’ve contained them And started to create some openings. We will need to turn the attacking decisiveness up a couple of notches if we’re to win it, but at least we’ve given ourselves a platform to go on from. 

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

Yeah, quicker in the transition. Get him on the turn. Question is who for? JJ is good in the break.

I reckon Gerrard would make the sub for JJ, probably 65-70 min mark. or he may take one of the strikers off, probably Ings as he is usually knackered by 70 mins. Risky changing the formation if wre are doing alright though

West ham well organised and difficult to break down. When we have to ball we are moving it at a snail's pace with very little movement which means we arent creating any chances or  moving west ham players out of position. 

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

Based on what.

It's a very physical game and he doesn't strike me as a physical player. Additionally, I would not want him hurt again, and a game like this is a risk. 

Just now, AVTuco said:

It's a very physical game and he doesn't strike me as a physical player. Additionally, I would not want him hurt again, and a game like this is a risk. 

He’s hardly played enough to come to that conclusion. His record across his career doesn’t indicate any problem with the physical side of the game. Too early to jump to conclusions like that in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Does Moyes teach them to be like this?

He picks a big physical team. Dawson, Zouma, Soucek, Rice and Antonio are all big and will put themselves about. I don’t think he tells them to elbow people but he he won’t discourage it either. He know the players and he know what they will give him. 

They've had 1 more attempt on goal. We've had one more on target and have had more possession and more completed passes.  They had a good 10 min spell putting us under pressure but we finished the half stronger I think. 

Edited by Newry_Villan

3 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I reckon Gerrard would make the sub for JJ, probably 65-70 min mark. or he may take one of the strikers off, probably Ings as he is usually knackered by 70 mins. Risky changing the formation if wre are doing alright though

Ramsey may come off, but I think he’s done well today. Young but clearly hard enough.