Kalvin Phillips

Delphinho123

Don’t think relegation will affect the deal THAT much. Teams don’t just activate release clauses - there are weeks/months of negotiation involved with the agent/player before that happens. 

We’ll have offered Phillips 125k+ a week, if not more to join. That part is almost certain. The relegation release clause just makes it cheaper for us overall. 

Perfectly happy with this. He is so combative . Playing in a system that is hopefully going to evolve in terms of possession. Perfect replacement for Dougie at the base of the diamond and a far better footballer than many give credit for. 

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

unknown.png

Not a fan of paying anything near 60m and 200k a week for a player with a knee like this.

nothing wrong with that knee mate.

He was just eating crayons, and he accidentally drew a line on his knee in the process.

24 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm not sure on Kelvin..

If we want to see the best out of this squad, I think we've got to go 4-2-3-1, so he could fit in, but I'm just not sold on his quality..

2 defensive-er midfielders would allow us to play Emi B and Phillipe together, which is what I think we all want..

TBF he got England’s player of the tournament last summer, so it’s hard to dispute his quality. If we can get him and then Kamara on a free we’ll be in great shape. 

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Leading target. Hope Leeds go down so it’s cut price if the clause is to be believed. 

spacer.png

Edit: to be clear, Bissouma is fine I guess. But I think I'll faint if we pay the rumoured 60m for Kalvin Phillips who's had one good PL season under his belt and then spent the next one being being either shite or injured

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Interesting to see if he keeps his place for England. He’s shown nothing at all after the latest injury so will surely have to impress in August/September.

Don't worry, i'm sure Southgate will still pick him if he moves to Man Utd.

7 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

spacer.png

Edit: to be clear, Bissouma is fine I guess. But I think I'll faint if we pay the rumoured 60m for Kalvin Phillips who's had one good PL season under his belt and then spent the next one being being either shite or injured

The edit comment is spot on. 

This season has raised huge doubts about Phillips. If we'd signed him at the start of this season I'd have been ecstatic. The prices quoted this season don't reflect his current value.  Even if there is a lower price release clause in the event they get relegated, I'm convinced he should only be our third or fourth choice. 

West Ham seem to be interested in him, I can't see him choosing us over them, I can see Rice moving in summer so they will have cash to burn, especially if Leeds get relegated and the price is reduced.

It reminds me of an Owen Hargreaves type situation - ridden with injuries but a top player so it's a hard decision to make.  He COULD play for teams a lot higher than us in the League no doubt, but for such an outlay you'd obviously want him to be the anchor in midfield consistently.  Not sure if he has the legs for it.  I can't see us getting him in any case.

He is a good player who has had a rough year. If the price is right it’s worth it as maybe a new coach/team may bring the best out of him again but the rumoured £60m is too much. 

7 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

It reminds me of an Owen Hargreaves type situation - ridden with injuries but a top player so it's a hard decision to make.  He COULD play for teams a lot higher than us in the League no doubt, but for such an outlay you'd obviously want him to be the anchor in midfield consistently.  Not sure if he has the legs for it.  I can't see us getting him in any case.

Phillips is nowhere near as injury prone as Owen Hargreaves was. I put Phillips recent injuries down to being overworked by Bielsa, half that team was out injured at one point.  As some have pointed out, he was England's player of the tournament last year at the Euro's, I don't think he would have any issue playing for a top team. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

spacer.png

There is not a chance in hell we're paying £60m for him when the Yorkshire rubber chewers are in the Championship. 

I'd pay no more than £25m, his injury was a bad one and he's played in a very mismanaged side, he is quality on his day and would be an asset (at the right price) 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Phillips is nowhere near as injury prone as Owen Hargreaves was. I put Phillips recent injuries down to being overworked by Bielsa, half that team was out injured at one point.  As some have pointed out, he was England's player of the tournament last year at the Euro's, I don't think he would have any issue playing for a top team. 

Last season - 29 games played of 38

This season - 18 games played of 36

If we're putting all our eggs in one basket for a rock at the heart of our midfield then we can't have someone missing 40% of the action.  He's 26 and injuries will start to pile up.  My concern is that this would be our marquee signing of the window and then we're stuck in exactly the same position as we are this season crying about not having a good DM when he gets another injury.

8 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

Last season - 29 games played of 38

This season - 18 games played of 36

If we're putting all our eggs in one basket for a rock at the heart of our midfield then we can't have someone missing 40% of the action.  He's 26 and injuries will start to pile up.  My concern is that this would be our marquee signing of the window and then we're stuck in exactly the same position as we are this season crying about not having a good DM when he gets another injury.

And how many did he miss the seasons before the two you've listed?

Â