Kalvin Phillips

Delphinho123

Phillips is exactly what we need. He is a proven premier league and international defensive midfielder. He is clever, aggressive, consistent and very capable at playing the ball effectively from the back. Leeds are a totally different team when he plays and he is currently England’s player of the year. 
Having said all of that, I just can’t see him joining us. Leeds will be desperate to keep him. Will he be desperate to leave them for a mid table team? Unlikely. Whatever happens, I hope we are decisive. Get it done or move on to other targets. Another summer of will he/won’t he would not be welcome.

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

Phillips is exactly what we need. He is a proven premier league and international defensive midfielder. He is clever, aggressive, consistent and very capable at playing the ball effectively from the back. Leeds are a totally different team when he plays and he is currently England’s player of the year. 
Having said all of that, I just can’t see him joining us. Leeds will be desperate to keep him. Will he be desperate to leave them for a mid table team? Unlikely. Whatever happens, I hope we are decisive. Get it done or move on to other targets. Another summer of will he/won’t he would not be welcome.

Is he a proven Premier League player? He has less Premier League appearances than Jacob Ramsey

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is he a proven Premier League player? He has less Premier League appearances than Jacob Ramsey

It’s not just about the number of appearances, although that does need to be factored in. It’s what he does when he plays that’s important. He has played enough games in the PL to make a fair judgment. Every time I have seen him play in the PL he has been dominant. Conversely, although I am a massive fan of his potential, I have never seen JJ dominate once. JJ has only played so many PL matches because our other options are so poor. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

42 PL appearances, I suppose you could argue if he wasn't injured last season and this one he'd have more like 60.

Ifs and buts though...

I do think he's a good player and would definitely improve us.

He is 26 as well, he isn't some up and comer

Grealish spent 3 seasons in the Championship is the same age and has 3 times that amount of top flight games 

• Like 1

If Leeds want £60m for him, if we have that kind of money to spend, then I’m all for it. He’s an excellent player, he dictates the game from the middle of the park. It’s something that we have lacked for a number of years, a physical presence in the engine room. The only downside to this is that I think he is quite nasty on the pitch I think but I think that is needed to be a success in the division 

39 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

If Leeds want £60m for him, if we have that kind of money to spend, then I’m all for it. He’s an excellent player, he dictates the game from the middle of the park. It’s something that we have lacked for a number of years, a physical presence in the engine room. The only downside to this is that I think he is quite nasty on the pitch I think but I think that is needed to be a success in the division 

Why is it a downside then?

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It’s the way the media construe it, I’m just copying them. I can’t think of another way to explain it

We need some of that nasty side in our team, our team is so soft.

We should change our Holte End chant from

"Get into them, f**k them up, get into them, f**k them up"

to

"Get into them, braid their hair, Get into them, dust them down"

because it's basically how soft we are at the moment

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He has said repeatedly he wants to stay at Leeds and I can’t see how Villa could change his mind. Hope they have other candidates.

Probably just his agent trying to get a better deal for him like Smith-Rowe did.  We would be interested if available and he wanted to come but I doubt he'd come here, I assume bigger clubs would be interested and I'm still not sure we are going to spend £60m or more on one player so I think his agent is just putting the chills up the Leeds board to get him a better deal.

• Like 1

I honestly think he'll be this summer's Smith Rowe. String us along and then either sign a new deal at Leeds or join someone like West Ham if they sell Rice as they'll have euro football on offer again.

Unless he's a massive Gerrard fanboy of course which is possible given his age but I'd be very surprised if he was desperate to join us.

60m aswell, seems we're back in MON times tbh. As said above bentancur for 20m puts things in context.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Not sure blowing £60 million on Phillips is a great idea if he is consistently injured.

I suppose we have Marvelous as a back-up.

When he gets back from his injury. 

£60m is to much. Here is my prediction for the summer: 

We will lose another "best" player to a better team. Rinse and repeat

We will sign mostly overhyped garbage and finish midtable at best. 

Villa seem to just throw money at a problem (but not enough to be certain it will work) expecting it to work. When did it last? 

What has changed that Villa is suddenly a better prospect than Leeds. He plays for England and the club he adores. Do people think the temptation is Gerrard?? This isn't Jack Gresford, this is someone who seems to genuinely care about his boyhood club and wants to improve it.

• Like 3

Â