Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

23 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Free transfers can be signed from January onwards. Matip to Liverpool for example was announced in February. The big names that have yet to be announced this year are negotiating with multiple clubs for the best offer. If Suarez was as nailed on as you say it would be announced already.

Doesn’t always work like that for a variety of reasons mate

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

The defensive midfielder seems to be the position, we are most struggling with, for whatever reasons.

Sorry, I haven’t posted for a while, (it’s probably a good thing) but based on what I’ve seen of Tim Iroegbunam so far, I think that in the long term, we might have that position sussed. I am aware that he is only 18 years old but he looks a fantastic talent. On his debut against Norwich City at Villa Park, he was the best player on the pitch

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Doesn’t always work like that for a variety of reasons mate

Of course, but you literally said “I think this deal has been locked up ages ago”, so if it was, it would be announced already. 

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

I get that Nick.....but why it's been such an elusive task, for so long, is beyond me.

Don’t know, the powers that be probably just didn’t think it was worth the cost it would take or Nakamba would be a star or Luiz would do it or maybe Sanson.  With the latter two maybe they thought we didn’t need a traditional DM.  Maybe the targets they wanted fell through, weren’t interested or too expensive.  It seems obvious.

We tried for Phillips a few seasons back and his nan said no, we’ve been linked Papa Meter Sarr last summer along with a few others during that period and recently with Bentancur and also Bissouma.  So it seems we have interest in the position but never happened whether price, bigger clubs snatched them or nan’s got involved.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

I know John Percy is the be all and end all of Villa transfer news but I feel I could have written this…

Its just waffle isn't it?

The twitter equivalent of treading water. 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Of course, but you literally said “I think this deal has been locked up ages ago”, so if it was, it would be announced already. 

I believed it’s all agreed, locked and done some time ago.  Does that mean the wet signature is done, maybe not but I bet all the details are agreed.

i’m surprised you think all deals like this are announced as soon as they are done.  It just doesn’t always happen.

We obviously don’t agree but if you don’t think a lot of things are agreed behind closed doors well before they are announced I think you are being naive.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they announced it a few days before the final day of season ticket renewal to get a few more to renew. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its just waffle isn't it?

The twitter equivalent of treading water. 

Makes you wonder if he’s not as well connected as he used to be because there is absolutely nothing there that suggests any insight. Probably every club in the league will have loosely pondered Tarkowski on a free. 

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Makes you wonder if he’s not as well connected as he used to be because there is absolutely nothing there that suggests any insight. Probably every club in the league will have loosely pondered Tarkowski on a free. 

Might had a connection with Smith or one of his staff.  Managers seem to have one media contact they use for leaks.  I guess we’ll find Gerrard’s over the coming years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Free transfers can be signed from January onwards. Matip to Liverpool for example was announced in February. The big names that have yet to be announced this year are negotiating with multiple clubs for the best offer. If Suarez was as nailed on as you say it would be announced already.

Where does January onwards come from ?  

In theory you can sign players whenever - but the contract start date and registration with club have time embargoes. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If you're wathcing the UEFA final, we'll also finally get to see the transfer thread legend which is Kamada for Frankfurt!

On this note, one of the funniest things I've ever seen on VT was the collective fawning over Benrahma for well over a year, until people actually watched him play a full game when Brentford played Fulham in the playoffs and everyone decided he was suddenly not very good.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd argue we need another DM/CM on top of that, without a doubt.

To be honest, if you said to me we were only signing a DC, DMx2 this summer I'd probably be happy. We'd finish in the top 10 next season if we do. 

If we are going to play 3 out of Buendia Coutinho Ings and Watkins, with Ramsey in the midfield, then for me we need to have 2 new cdm players who are first choice (I don't think we can really rely on playing McGinn with them and not being defensively exposed often)

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

Where does January onwards come from ?  

In theory you can sign players whenever - but the contract start date and registration with club have time embargoes. 

You can offer a player a contract in the last 6 months of their contract, as most football contracts end in June, you can offer pre-contracts in January.

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You can offer a player a contract in the last 6 months of their contract, as most football contracts end in June, you can offer pre-contracts in January.

Source ?