Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just depressing! A manager who should be sacked and a transfer window that started so well but since June 2nd has been non-existent.

16 hours left of the window and unless a shock impactful transfer in now which seems unlikely it’s just so disappointing from what we were told was going to be a busy summer.

I’d love to know what is going on at the club.  We are brilliant for everything off the pitch from infrastructure, youth etc but where it matters with the first team squad we are just struggling.

Agreed Nick, there is a whiff of Lerner about what is happening, but we have to wait and see, could be completely wrong, hopefully I am.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Agreed Nick, there is a whiff of Lerner about what is happening, but we have to wait and see, could be completely wrong, hopefully I am.

There is no long term strategy for player and manager recruitment as well as a lack of playing identity through the club from youth to first team. It's as disjointed off the pitch as it is on it. Definite red flag and the first time I'm questioning Purslow's ability as a CEO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah we might as well accept relegation if we selling luiz and getting dendoncker in.

Whats the point of having lange if this is the level of signings coming in??

I thought he had some serious links in Scandinavia? We havent seen anyone apart from aug come in from there and there are some really good players there.

I don't know what the scouting department do, as the signings are ones any fan could make. Edens is big on analytics but we aren't seeing any evidence of it being used properly like Brentford, Brighton or Leicester do. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

Just now, Made In Aston said:

I don't know what the scouting department do, as the signings are ones any fan could make. Edens is big on analytics but we aren't seeing any evidence of it being used properly like Brentford, Brighton or Leicester do. 

Im overly worried if dendonker is best they can find. Its been a very poor summer in terms of pla ning. It started well which was great then, when gerrard said we signed them while others were asleep we slept the rest of the summer.

Dont see how they felt we would push on with only carlos and kamara as only additions to 1st team. Mcginn needs replacing, digne and cash both need proper competition and i still maintain we need a striker get rid of watkins

Just now, useless said:

There's a lot of over the top performative doom and gloom going on at the moment, we've had a bad start to the season that's all, the club isn't a 'circus', NSWE clearly haven't given up, and our current situation is nothing like the Lerner era when he gave up, we've just signed two French internationals, a Brazilian international, two Swedish internationals as back up players, supposedly one of the best defenders from La Liga.

And we might sign more today, but if not, not sure most can have too many complaints, because can't have it both ways, if Gerrard is to be sacked as so many wish then stands to reason that the club might keep money back for the next manager in the January transfer window, it might be that today is just about bringing in a loan or two just to make sure we're not short, unless a new manager has already been identified and telling us who they want.

Squad as it is should be good enough to challenge for a top half finish, just need someone to use the players in the right way.

We are bottom of the league i think people have every right to be very concerned

Dendoncker? That's all we are doing on the last day after the past 2 years of failing to get Phillips, JWP, Bissouma this is the guy we are betting on? I don't want to be unnecessarily negative but holy shit that guy is not the answer to the midfield problems. Wolves fans do not have anything positive at all to say about him, and that was before these rumours come up.

Unless Gerrard is gone and whoever the new manager is wants him.

I think I’ve ever known a transfer window to start off so well but (probably) end up so disappointing. 

If Luiz leaves today and we don’t bring is a first 11 replacement  we are going to struggle, no matter who the manager is! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

There's a lot of over the top performative doom and gloom going on at the moment, we've had a bad start to the season that's all, the club isn't a 'circus', NSWE clearly haven't given up, and our current situation is nothing like the Lerner era when he gave up, we've just signed two French internationals, a Brazilian international, two Swedish internationals as back up players, supposedly one of the best defenders from La Liga.

And we might sign more today, but if not, not sure most can have too many complaints, because can't have it both ways, if Gerrard is to be sacked as so many wish then stands to reason that the club might keep money back for the next manager in the January transfer window, it might be that today is just about bringing in a loan or two just to make sure we're not short, unless a new manager has already been identified and telling us who they want.

Squad as it is should be good enough to challenge for a top half finish, just need someone to use the players in the right way.

100% this. The lack of player investement is due to the lack of faith in SG following the poor final half of last season and the start of this. The owners had their fingers burned with the £100M investment in Bailey, Buendia and Ings only for Smith to go and the new manager not really fancy them/use a system for them. I know there are multiple other issues with this, firstly the appointment of SG in the first place. However, clearly NSWE don't want to plough another £100M in only for a new manager to come in and not 'fancy' the new recruits. In an ideal world we have a strategy whereby whatever players we sign we get a manager to utilise those players for continuty etc but that is absent at the moment. Hell of a lot to fix here but I dont blame the oweners for not wanting to get burned a 2nd time. I think they have realised now the challenge that they have. Couple of loans today to fill the squad and get the new manager through until Jan, once SG is sacked on Saturday night 😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Indigo said:

If true re: Dendoncker I'm glad our esteemed recruitment department have identified our issue with several current midfielders in the squad not showing for, nor making enough passes over the course of games and have looked to rectify it.

Ah yes...

Screenshot_20220901-002334_Chrome.jpg

I’d assume we’d not be looking at him for passing volume but probably a dual cb/dm option who’s pretty safe with the ball when he does have it and with a decent range judging by his pass completion % that you’ve omitted, around 87% overall, 92% medium range and 84% long range.

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Lol good at literally nothing, I take it back he would be the perfect Villa signing. Should slot very nicely into midfield alongside our fearless captain.

Omitted stats, of which there are plenty, would suggest he’s a reasonable goal threat and pretty defensively solid, as well as possessing a decent passing range. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Agreed. Our bad start means any small hopes we had to be involved in the top 7/8 and potential to compete for Europe is over. I've no worry about relegation because if the form stays bad over next 2/3 games we'll get a new manager in over international break and we'll get away from the relegation zone. 

We've a good squad who are not performing. Players are making individual errors because they are spending too much time trying to remember what the role they're meant to do is. Cash / Digne have to attacks and then defend and they don't know which is their primary role. Same goes for JJ and McGinn. Our front line is swapped from a 1 2 to a 3 and a 2 1 etc.. no consistency in the front line set up and line up. 

Opposition know the team are struggling and are picking us apart targeting the space behind the full backs and pressing our CBs as we have no press resistant players there anymore. It isn't working and the players are low on confidence too, bits of bad luck going against us too compounding issues.

The turn around doesn't appear clear to me, is it Gerrard tweaking the system and getting 4 points against Leicest and Southampton? or is it now on the new Manager we get in during international break.

The worst part about it all is we lost last season due to bad start and new coach and we are doing the same this season. Wasted a season while most of the league are taking a step forward

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Say what you want about that Lyric bloke on twitter but he does seem to genuinely have a source, especially if you look back at his tweet history and the dates of them.

Bizarrely, seems he's a Liverpool supporter, but only gets transfer news about Villa 🤔, according to him.

Wonder what, who, or where his connections could come from.

He said about 13 hours ago that Doug wouldn't be leaving.

I read through a few of the tweets and responses.

Stevie G? I was looking at his hands and they do seem a bit hairy. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed. Our bad start means any small hopes we had to be involved in the top 7/8 and potential to compete for Europe is over. I've no worry about relegation because if the form stays bad over next 2/3 games we'll get a new manager in over international break and we'll get away from the relegation zone. 

We've a good squad who are not performing. Players are making individual errors because they are spending too much time trying to remember what the role they're meant to do is. Cash / Digne have to attacks and then defend and they don't know which is their primary role. Same goes for JJ and McGinn. Our front line is swapped from a 1 2 to a 3 and a 2 1 etc.. no consistency in the front line set up and line up. 

Opposition know the team are struggling and are picking us apart targeting the space behind the full backs and pressing our CBs as we have no press resistant players there anymore. It isn't working and the players are low on confidence too, bits of bad luck going against us too compounding issues.

The turn around doesn't appear clear to me, is it Gerrard tweaking the system and getting 4 points against Leicest and Southampton? or is it now on the new Manager we get in during international break.

The worst part about it all is we lost last season due to bad start and new coach and we are doing the same this season. Wasted a season while most of the league are taking a step forward

I was away from following Villa for a while, and got back this season to watch every game, and I was at first very excited by all the pre-se season hype about top 8.

Then I looked at the squad that got Smith sacked, that seemed to limp in to finish 14th and compared to this season's squad and wondered if I had missed much, because Carlos and Kamara alone didn't really look like enough to me. 

But yeah, obviously Gerrard has done nothing to show he's the man.

And yeah, I know I'll get ripped for even thinking this loud about our squad, but I don't care. I call it as I see it.

Edited by daft

4 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

A twitter thread pointing the finger at Lange. Take it with a grain of salt but I can see a thread of bad or unnecessary transfers going back to the end of Dean's reign and it would certainly explain a lot.

Great - but that tweeter is a known liar 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, useless said:

It's from last year but this thread titled is 'Dendoncker our most important player' on 'Molineux Mix' seems to be complimentary enough.

Thanks for that. Some very positive views on him on the early pages, but in the more recent comments, somewhat less so, such as "Crap, ay he.."  

6 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

A twitter thread pointing the finger at Lange. Take it with a grain of salt but I can see a thread of bad or unnecessary transfers going back to the end of Dean's reign and it would certainly explain a lot.

That's just all bs 

6 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Doesn’t quite explain why we can’t actually play football like a proper team on the pitch though…