Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, he may not be a marquee signing, but i am at the point where if he is capable of helping us defend set pieces and high balls with his height, and be stronger than wet lettuce Konsa, im all for giving him a chance.

we are too small as a team, having 6ft 4 (Mings) and a 6ft 2/6ft 3 (Bednarek) in central defence, might help us where we are currently quite weak (ie:height/strength/aggression).

Might be one of those where the player in isolation isnt "amazing", but his "assets" might help the team overall.

who knows, im just trying to see a positive side.

Ok but why did we let Hause go? He excels in the air and is a physical, imposing presence. How much better is this guy? All seems to have gone downhill for Kortney him since he scored against Man U! 😵💫

I guess we will have to wait and see…

If it’s a low cost loan then I won’t moan too much but I’ll be pissed off if we’re paying a big fee.

Expected a lot better tbh.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, he may not be a marquee signing, but i am at the point where if he is capable of helping us defend set pieces and high balls with his height, and be stronger than wet lettuce Konsa, im all for giving him a chance.

we are too small as a team, having 6ft 4 (Mings) and a 6ft 2/6ft 3 (Bednarek) in central defence, might help us where we are currently quite weak (ie:height/strength/aggression).

Might be one of those where the player in isolation isnt "amazing", but his "assets" might help the team overall.

who knows, im just trying to see a positive side.

You are spot on..thats the reason he is being brought in.he brings height and psychicality into defence that we severely lack..Its why we cant defend against crosses and set pieces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hause struggled in the back 3 in the dark last days of DS. He's good to come in for the odd game here and there. Watford was just too good an opportunity I think and hopefully it's one of those deals where if they come straight back up they then sign him for 7m or something as automatic clause.

The Diego injury has cleared knackered everything as we'd never have shopped around for another CB if he'd stayed fit so one of those things. TBH I'd rather just sign whatever CB we were planning for next summer now so they have year to settle into prem but guess it's not as straightforward as that. Or just sign this Diallo guy being linked from PSG as that certainly feels like a player with more upwards potential than Bednarek.

Akanji is getting linked with Leicester currently so looks like Dortmund want to move him on. Mid 20s and Swiss regular although Dortmund hardly have most effective defensive unit around so don't know if he'd be any good for us.

23 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

You are spot on..thats the reason he is being brought in.he brings height and psychicality into defence that we severely lack..Its why we cant defend against crosses and set pieces.

Waits for obligatory Youtube video of Southampton conceding countless goals from set pieces last season. Did he actually play in the 4-0 VP game last season? I remember they parked their defence pretty much on halfway line that day and Coutinho missed about three one on ones in first half just running through them, probably his best game for us.

Guy just gives me Zat Knight vibes tbh. Not the worst CB to ever play for us but he had his limitations.

Just had a look and he did alongside Jack Stephens so not the most mobile CB combo with Salisu injured that day. Can remember Ollie turning one of them with complete ease for the first goal.

Edited by VillaChris

17 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I bet a team filled with big aggressive blokes still has the potential to concede lots of goals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Waits for obligatory Youtube video of Southampton conceding countless goals from set pieces last season. Did he actually play in the 4-0 VP game last season? I remember they parked their defence pretty much on halfway line that day and Coutinho missed about three one on ones in first half just running through them, probably his best game for us.

Guy just gives me Zat Knight vibes tbh. Not the worst CB to ever play for us but he had his limitations.

Watkins destroyed him that game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unforseen circumstances or not the Bednarek one is really really poor. Do not get stuck with obligation to buy.

He'll probably be a few million for the season, never play and not really noticeable better than Hause , a guy we can't shift and who we gave a new deal with a big payrise this year.

It's just muddled thinking. Where's the 20-23 year next up and coming centre back we have lined up, bring it forward, we should have a whole flipping database.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Ok but why did we let Hause go? He excels in the air and is a physical, imposing presence. How much better is this guy? All seems to have gone downhill for Kortney him since he scored against Man U! 😵💫

I guess we will have to wait and see…

If it’s a low cost loan then I won’t moan too much but I’ll be pissed off if we’re paying a big fee.

Expected a lot better tbh.

because aside from his aerial ability he's not very good. championship level defender. nothing against the guy, scored a goal or 2 for us, but he's not great

bednarek is miles better than hause...i think he might end up proving to be better than konsa too

you say you expected better, what exactly did you expect? whomever comes in knows that in a few months when diego is back they'll be 3rd choice

42 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Unforseen circumstances or not the Bednarek one is really really poor. Do not get stuck with obligation to buy.

He'll probably be a few million for the season, never play and not really noticeable better than Hause , a guy we can't shift and who we gave a new deal with a big payrise this year.

It's just muddled thinking. Where's the 20-23 year next up and coming centre back we have lined up, bring it forward, we should have a whole flipping database.

He himself is being usurped by under 23 players at Southampton. This has a very Senderos feel to it

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

bednarek is miles better than hause...i think he might end up proving to be better than konsa too

He’s just not though, Bednarek is very very limited, he’s basically just a tall dude who can’t defend at this level

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He’s just not though, Bednarek is very very limited, he’s basically just a tall dude who can’t defend at this level

It is somewhat underwhelming but he is not that bad! He has played lots of games at this level and at international level. He is also coming into a good age for a defender. I think (hope) he may surprise us and actually help to knit our defence together.

Interesting that a thread hasn’t been started for him yet though! We all in denial?! 😂

Even if people think he’s ok, which I don’t, I can’t believe people are ok with signing Bednarek and thinking we’ll be pushing for 7th to 10th place with signings like this.  

We’ve been really unlucky with the Carlos injury but we are writing off a season because of an injury to one player with a defender like Bednarek coming in.  The quality difference between Carlos and Bednarek is a Grand Canyon size gulf. I’m not expecting Carlos level but if we have any desires this season then surely there was better options out there…this is just woeful.  

I guess next signing is Barkley, thank god Winks has already gone…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

It is somewhat underwhelming but he is not that bad! He has played lots of games at this level and at international level. He is also coming into a good age for a defender. I think (hope) he may surprise us and actually help to knit our defence together.

Interesting that a thread hasn’t been started for him yet though! We all in denial?! 😂

I’ve watched him a lot, I used to laugh at him somewhat when he was playing for Southampton because he was that poor.  

One of those players that you notice more so than others when you watch, his defending was always off, his tackling was poor, players just go past him easily and always being booked or the ref having a word for another late tackle.  To now see we are likely to get him is flabbergasting.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Even if people think he’s ok, which I don’t, I can’t believe people are ok with signing Bednarek and thinking we’ll be pushing for 7th to 10th place with signings like this.  

We’ve been really unlucky with the Carlos injury but we are writing off a season because of an injury to one player with a defender like Bednarek coming in.  The quality difference between Carlos and Bednarek is a Grand Canyon size gulf. I’m not expecting Carlos level but if we have any desires this season then surely there was better options out there…this is just woeful.  

I guess next signing is Barkley, thank god Winks has already gone…

the list of reasons why we're not finishing 7th-10th this season is long, and the bednarek signing is way down on that list

• Like 1

He's already on £60k/w at Southampton. Wonder how much we are going to give him when/if he signs permanently. £70k, £80k, £100k?

For a rotation player who is not particularly good or likely to improve. Feels like a MON signing.

The Southampton fans reactions of Bednerak remind me of how our own fans were reacting about Mings not too long ago. Many were saying he is not good enough and wanting him replaced.  Certain players will always get targeted when a team is struggling. 

I don’t mind this signing at all. I think he is better than Chambers and Konsa. 

6 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Just can’t understand how everyone knows so much about Bednarek?

Just how does a Villa fan know how he played during his time at Southampton?

Im a regular at VP and I can’t make my mind up about OUR players……..let alone an obscure Polish centre back that plays for another team.

I’m a Southampton fan in my spare time and Polish on the weekends. I can confirm he is not as bad as people are making out. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Just can’t understand how everyone knows so much about Bednarek?

Just how does a Villa fan know how he played during his time at Southampton?

Im a regular at VP and I can’t make my mind up about OUR players……..let alone an obscure Polish centre back that plays for another team.

He’s had 5 full seasons in the premier league, not exactly an unknown. With the stats available online and the amount of times you’ll watch other teams it’s easy to have a general opinion about certain players. I’m seriously underwhelmed by the signing. Different circumstances but you’ve got Forrest loaning in an athletico Madrid left back who played 10 champions league games last season with an option to buy, and the best we can do to improve our starting centre back options is loan bednarek? Not having it