Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

13 minutes ago, WHY said:

Not knocking the owners mate but you can’t expect to get European football without improving the first 11. The squad is decent but the first 11 isn’t that much better than it was 2 seasons ago, if at all.   Don’t forget the owners got the club for a ridiculous price and will get all their investment back and some more if they were to sell now. They have been great but we have also been good for them. 

Hard disagree. Obviously you can't replace Grealish, but we have tons of quality in the squad. I mean you are basically comparing Traore, Trezeguet and El Ghazi to Buendia, Bailey and Coutinho. 

The problem is obvious. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WHY said:

Football is all about opinions mate but you’re watching a different player to me. 

Fair enough. I think like many players he'd be doing better in a better system, but this isn't really the Digne thread, my point is that it's absurd to suggest the owners are pulling back.

I've not seen anything to suggest that, they are just playing smart.

Despite our current predicament, I am confident we are moving in the right direction long term. 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Hard disagree. Obviously you can't replace Grealish, but we have tons of quality in the squad. I mean you are basically comparing Traore, Trezeguet and El Ghazi to Buendia, Bailey and Coutinho. 

The problem is obvious. 

Genuinely I would have Grealish over the 3 players you mentioned. He allowed other players to be better as teams were worried about him. Traore was much better in his first season as he was allowed more freedom. Barkley offered a bit of quality for a bit but played his part in some big wins. Not saying the squad is better but I stand by the FIRST 11 not being much better. 

59 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

It’s not just Villa who have a large percentage of entitled fans……

Leeds

Man Utd

Arsenal

I could go on……..you can talk to Baggie’s fans who think their club is well known for an attacking brand of football based on a couple of seasons in the late 70s

Or West Ham fans who think that they should only see a certain brand of pure passing football when their team plays.

All fans think they deserve a good team with a good style of play……it’s normal for a fan to think like this.

Indeed, well said.

Shitposters be shitposting as usual.

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've come to realise that Grealish was such a difference maker, it may actually have painted a false picture of " squad quality " to some of our fans.

Hence the surprise of why it seems to be taking us so many signings and seasons to replicate.

Basically, he was papering  over massive cracks.

It's no longer a relevant argument when you have the quality to choose from that we do. I don't know how anyone can look at that squad on paper and say it should be finishing 14th, or getting dominated by Bournemouth. 

Smith evidently wasn't good enough either. 

Essentially I'm saying I don't care who we sign anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkLillis said:

It’s not just Villa who have a large percentage of entitled fans……

Leeds

Man Utd

Arsenal

I could go on……..you can talk to Baggie’s fans who think their club is well known for an attacking brand of football based on a couple of seasons in the late 70s

Or West Ham fans who think that they should only see a certain brand of pure passing football when their team plays.

All fans think they deserve a good team with a good style of play……it’s normal for a fan to think like this.

I disagree. I just want A style of play. A identity and A clear trajectory. I have never been remotely interested in fancy football, I don't think any Villa fan would identify with that either. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's no longer a relevant argument when you have the quality to choose from that we do. I don't know how anyone can look at that squad on paper and say it should be finishing 14th, or getting dominated by Bournemouth. 

Smith evidently wasn't good enough either. 

Essentially I'm saying I don't care who we sign anymore. 

I don't think anyone is saying this at all 🤦🏿‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've come to realise that Grealish was such a difference maker, it may actually have painted a false picture of " squad quality " to some of our fans.

Hence the surprise of why it seems to be taking us so many signings and seasons to replicate.

Im not sure how true that is. We had a great bit of form with no crowds for a couple of months but the rest of the time in the top flight we’ve been poor even with Jack in the side. 

We’re just shit.

1 hour ago, useless said:

We signed Lioness 🥇 Rachel Daly today, no one saw that coming. What you expect is what you don't get, with Sawiris and Edens on the case no one knows what comes next.

Love watching her on Countdown 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was just listening to For the Love of Paul McGrath podcast, and they pointed out that some of the shite we were doing ( Such as chucking countless crosses in against Brutes ) also  happened under Deano ( Notably against Burnley ) and the common denominator is alot of the same players reverting to type 👀

Dont shoot the messenger ...

Re Jack, yeah we had some poor performances with him in in, but sometimes he'd pull something off out of nothing to bag points,.hence " papering over cracks "

HE also wasn't brilliant at times also, which shows you that we would have been even shitter without him at his shittest probably 🤣

ITS all complicated.

similarly to how I mentioned Benteke would often do the same for us.

Sometimes you can shithouse a win with magical moments and breed confidence. Even if it's false or temporary

From that Burnley game only Konsa, Cash, McGinn and Emi were involved Saturday maybe Ramsey was off the bench

So they are aiming the criticism at Cash or McGinn in that case 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It was clear, without Grealish that season we’d easily fought for avoiding relegation (might not even be in the league). Yet with him fit we had a chance going to Europe. 

It was always going to take much time to get to appoint which we could do as with him. Now it’s a bit harder as we need a proper style. It’s easier for managers to depend on a certain player and hope for the best, but when it come to a system it’s always a challenge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

It was clear, without Grealish that season we’d easily fought for avoiding relegation (might not even be in the league). Yet with him fit we had a chance going to Europe. 

It was always going to take much time to get to appoint which we could do as with him. Now it’s a bit harder as we need a proper style. It’s easier for managers to depend on a certain player and hope for the best, but when it come to a system it’s always a challenge.

Well that is kind of the point isn't it.

We don't have a style, the players don't seem coached to it.

That is on the manager and his staff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

We are never ever ever ever getting into the top six in my lifetime. I've come to accept that we are basically just cannon fodder and filler for the league.

My hope of seeing Villa in the CL evaporated when Grealish left. The squad should have been built around him.

• Sad 1