Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

8 minutes ago, romavillan said:

That's interesting, you think this group could be coached into being more consistent, we've not seen it under Smith for a full season (at this level) or under Gerrard yet. It also only takes 3 or 4 to have a 5/10 day for us to get stuffed if the other team are bang on it, even if they're near the bottom. Really fine lines.

I agree Moyes is all about being difficult to beat first, making sure they don't lose if they aren't at the races and that's a skill we haven't had for ages in the top league. That is about organisation and as a player knowing your role, knowing that if it isn't your best day if you stick to your job you know everyone else is going to do the same and you'll be hard to beat. Not something that happens overnight either, lots of repetition and being well prepared for games.

I'd say as a group we might be 2 or 3 players of the calibre we've been bringing in recently short of West Ham, but even if we had them and the coaching isn't right we won't be troubling the top end of league much anyway. 

I think we're in a weird place at the moment because we do need more quality, we are buying some quality but at the same time I do think a good manager would get this team higher up the table, a well known starting 11, a good shape and tactics that fit the players and we will be better, then several of them get a mental kick up the ass including some of our bigger players and we will get better still

I don't really buy in to the idea that these players aren't good enough and especially that they don't fit Gerrards system, I've not seen anything to suggest Gerrard has some magical system that's for sure 

Strikers being the main example, I do think on paper the 3 of them are good enough and Gerrard has to get more out of them 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

I know we want a bit of a reaction and to sign another mid but we can't forget Carney was shoehorned in a bit last season to push him on and keep him happy as possible. He didn't really ever need to be included or make the most of his opportunities.

Ramsey/Sanson.           McGinn/Luiz

Kamara/Iroegbunam/Nakamba

Nakamba needs to go regardless now.

With Luiz's contract situation, we can then probably sign a player. If Luiz signs a deal then we probably need to sell Sanson before signing another.

A 6/8 Hybrid so Iroegbunam and Ramsey can both still be assured good minutes.

But i do think we'll need to see atleast one more out before we sign someone.

Maybe Otavio if we sell Traore? He could cover Buendia and CM.

Would like another CM but feel despite the Carney exit and fee gained I still don't think its quite enough for another given the mandate on the bloated squad unless we see Sanson guy but noises are Gerrard fancies him in the team all of a sudden.

If we're to play 4-3-3 throughout the season we're light on widemen. We could be shifting Trez, El Ghazi and Traore all in one window. We don't have a natural back up to Coutinho at LW, a more classic winger in similar profile to Bailey could be preferable so we can continue to play that formation even if Bailey gets injured. 

Martin Terrier who played LW for Rennes vs us the other day is my shout, he is a big talent who is a rapid LW who can be clinical in front of goal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Is Sangare this years Daichi Kamada? 

See him mentioned in here a lot Sangare. No one mentions Kamada now lol 

We have Buendia and Coutinho. That’s why no one mentions Kamada.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think we're in a weird place at the moment because we do need more quality, we are buying some quality but at the same time I do think a good manager would get this team higher up the table, a well known starting 11, a good shape and tactics that fit the players and we will be better, then several of them get a mental kick up the ass including some of our bigger players and we will get better still

I don't really buy in to the idea that these players aren't good enough and especially that they don't fit Gerrards system, I've not seen anything to suggest Gerrard has some magical system that's for sure 

Strikers being the main example, I do think on paper the 3 of them are good enough and Gerrard has to get more out of them 

Deffo pressure on Gerrard this season, if he starts with this pushing the 8s out wide to cover fullbacks and 2 narrow tens and we struggle then you'd think he's going to have to abandon ship with that shape or lose his job.

A run of wins though and maybe then we'll see that actually this group when high on confidence can find the consistency and get the results. Jury is out on Gerrard but if he does fail with this group and we get a good coach to follow him and we still blow hot and cold then that'll be 3 managers with mostly the same squad.

All the time this league gets harder and harder too, we've done fantastic since the new owners came in and we got Smith, but I'd say the gulf between bottom half of the Prem and top 8 is wider than 15th in the Championship to where we are. At times I look at the squad and think we're finally packed with talent and now starting to get proper depth too but it's a big ask us getting 7th or 8th.

We've seen Watkins do it as part of a 4-3-3 in terms of decent goal return at this level so I agree there too, I don't think we necessarily need to spend a huge amount on a forward at least not until we've found our best shape, best 11, best plan B etc...

17 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Is Sangare this years Daichi Kamada? 

See him mentioned in here a lot Sangare. No one mentions Kamada now lol 

What transfer window was Kamada linked,don't remember the name that all on here compared to other players. That name actually reminds me of that Japanese player we wanted in Lambert era, think he actually went to Sevilla a season later but didn't last long and was soon off back home to Japan. Kioyote?

15 minutes ago, ZL- said:

Would like another CM but feel despite the Carney exit and fee gained I still don't think its quite enough for another given the mandate on the bloated squad unless we see Sanson guy but noises are Gerrard fancies him in the team all of a sudden.

If we're to play 4-3-3 throughout the season we're light on widemen. We could be shifting Trez, El Ghazi and Traore all in one window. We don't have a natural back up to Coutinho at LW, a more classic winger in similar profile to Bailey could be preferable so we can continue to play that formation even if Bailey gets injured. 

Martin Terrier who played LW for Rennes vs us the other day is my shout, he is a big talent who is a rapid LW who can be clinical in front of goal.

Never read anything or even watched the video, but his name is Terrier so I'm sold.

Sign him up, just what we need!

Sign all the cool name players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What transfer window was Kamada linked,don't remember the name that all on here compared to other players. That name actually reminds me of that Japanese player we wanted in Lambert era, think he actually went to Sevilla a season later but didn't last long and was soon off back home to Japan. Kioyote?

He wasnt linked just like Sangare isnt linked. Its just people on here kept mentioning them. New Hipster player

Just now, messi11 said:

He wasnt linked just like Sangare isnt linked. Its just people on here kept mentioning them. New Hipster player

Gerrard did go to watch Leicester-PSV in europa last April. Could've just been scouting Leicester ahead of the prem game but rumour was he was watching a PSV player so that's how the Sangare link popped up although Madueke was also mentioned but really no room for him with all the front 3 options we still have.

Feels like Nakamba would be a player to put in any potential deal to bring the price down unless we're just going to keep him for final year of his contract as cover.

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

We're a few years of investment away from the hammers or Leicester etc

I think Leicester will be fighting the drop this year if they aren’t careful. Selling Maddison and Schmeichel could see them in freefall. Some great players but Rodgers seems to have lost faith in them, and them him. Think he’ll be first manager sacked and then it just depends who comes in.

37 minutes ago, ZL- said:

Touch of the CR7 influence about him … with a name like that and some other way of spelling looney on his shirt I was hoping for a DM 

15 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Has Carney's number been retired yet 😂

@CarryOnVilla you need to make this a twitter story mate, to wind up the blue noses.

Aston Villa CEO Christian Purslow has said in a recent interview:

"It is fitting to retire Carney's number in recognition of his qualities, in the hope that the gesture can inspire the next generation of Villa Park talent.

In such a remarkably short space of time, Carney had become and iconic figure at our club, showing what can be achieved through talent, hard work and dedication.

His caring, humble and engaging off the field demeanour has also made him such an impressive role model.

The [insert shirt number here] has become synonymous with Carney, his rise to the first team aged just 18, and as such the club has decided it would be fitting to retire this number, to remember one of our own, and to inspire others"