Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don't see us signing a new striker, I think we'll go with Watkins, Ings and Archer. At their best Watkins and Ings are as good as we can reasonably expect to get at this stage in our 'project' imo. Archer is a breath of fresh air at just the right time and should be used regularly as an impact sub against tiring defences.

The reason why I'm hopeful that our strikers will score more this coming season is because I think Gerrard is pushing hard for a quality CM partner for Kamara. I think most of us would agree that the lack of pass completion from both McGinn and Ramsey cost us dearly last season. The number of times we gave away possession because of sloppy passing by McGinn,and the general lack of passing and completion by JJ, was a source of great frustration and a serious points limiter.  A solid CM base with two technical and physical athletes will add balance and accuracy which will increase our striking opportunities.

So c'mon SG .... One cracking signing and we're good to go!

I'd take Luiz signing a new contract.  If he doesn't, I'd like us to get one in this window so that when we lose Luiz we're not integrating a new player to replace a core part of our team without any fall back. 

Edited by MrBlack

20 minutes ago, burchy said:

Lyon are buggered financially and are reportedly open to offers for Paqueta. I always thought he was better further forward but could he be a decent CM option? His pressing/tackling stats are good.

If they're that skint, what about a Paqueta crisps?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

You may be joking, although I think you aren't...

but he was very good on the left wing, while Jack was injured.  Lost his place when Jack came back, and then was moved to the right where he's useless.

He was far from perfect, but we are as much to blame for not getting the best out of him.

Ship has long since sailed for him now sadly. 

I wasnt joking, was more saying this is where goals mainly come from now in Premier League teams. Chelsea just bought Sterling for that reason

Anwar time has gone but maybe Bailey could step into that role

• Like 1

I think we lack a bit of pace and direct running on the left. It would be good (if JPB isn’t the answer) to look at having a pacey option out on the left, someone like Marcus Thuram at B M’Gladbach or someone similar. 

Would give us good options with Coutinho, Bailey, Buendia to mix it up if needed. 

I’d ike to see a definite CM starter come in (Laimer esque), a CM/CDM up and coming with good passing/progression stats (K. Thuram), a pacey LW option (M. Thuram) and RW/CAM young un/cover (Cherki - if Traore is sold). 

I think with the above we’d really challenge for a European spot this season, comfortably top half  

Add a new striker next year and we’d be flying. 

1 minute ago, burchy said:

I think we lack a bit of pace and direct running on the left. It would be good (if JPB isn’t the answer) to look at having a pacey option out on the left, someone like Marcus Thuram at B M’Gladbach or someone similar. 

Would give us good options with Coutinho, Bailey, Buendia to mix it up if needed. 

I’d ike to see a definite CM starter come in (Laimer esque), a CM/CDM up and coming with good passing/progression stats (K. Thuram), a pacey LW option (M. Thuram) and RW/CAM young un/cover (Cherki - if Traore is sold). 

I think with the above we’d really challenge for a European spot this season, comfortably top half  

Add a new striker next year and we’d be flying. 

Aside from the CM, the striker has to be second priority before any of the other positions.  We are crying out for a top striker.  Not being in the right position when chances are created, then being able to take them is not only points difference makers but scare opposition defences that would be then more cautious giving us more opportunities and space in other areas.

If we are in for another forward, wonder if we’d go back after Leao, I’m sure we were interested before he joined Milan. Although a purchase from them would probably cost a fortune 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Most big clubs trying to break in to, or occupying the top positions have more than 2 senior strikers and one youngster.

Do they? West Ham don't. Wolves don't. Brighton don't. Newcastle don't. Who are you thinking of?

Some of the teams in the top 6 places do have that strength in depth, it's true. But the difference is they play at least 15 more games than we do every season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do they? West Ham don't. Wolves don't. Brighton don't. Newcastle don't. Who are you thinking of?

Some of the teams in the top 6 places do have that strength in depth, it's true. But the difference is they play at least 15 more games than we do every season.

Man City only have 1 striker ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

If we are in for another forward, wonder if we’d go back after Leao, I’m sure we were interested before he joined Milan. Although a purchase from them would probably cost a fortune 

That time has way gone now he is way out of our league now. he also just signed a new contract last month and they have put in a ridiculous release clause nearing 150 million

35 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

even the top 6 dont really have. United dont have a centre forward, Martial/Rashford/ Ronaldo can all play there but not a natural position. Chelsea are playing Havertz as a striker, Liverpool signed Nunez but had Firmino up top for about 6 seasons and he isnt a no.9 for me

• Like 1

Liverpool: Firmino, Jota, Nunez.
City: Haaland, Alvarez
Chelsea: Havertz, Werner
Tottenham: Kane, Richarlison.
Man U: Ronaldo, Martial. (Rashford? But played wide).
Arsenal: Lacazette, Jesus, Nketiah
West Ham: Antonio, Scamacca

2 + Youth is fine. Only a couple of clubs have 3 genuine Striker options. And those that do are probably going to lose one of their senior options in the next year (Firmino, Lacazette, Ronaldo)

The rest of them have fluidity across their front 3. Players like Son, Salah, Dias etc. They don't have a wealth of Number 9s to chuck in.

If we sign one, we have to sell one, either now or in Jan. Unless we decide to pursue 4312. Which doesn't suit us.

Edited by HalfTimePost

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Liverpool: Firmino, Jota, Nunez.
City: Haaland, Alvarez
Chelsea: Havertz, Werner
Tottenham: Kane, Richarlison.
Man U: Ronaldo, Martial. (Rashford? But played wide).
Arsenal: Lacazette, Jesus, Nketiah
West Ham: Antonio, Scamacca

2 + Youth is fine. Only a couple of clubs have 3 genuine Striker options. And those that do are probably going to lose one of their senior options in the next year (Firmino, Lacazette, Ronaldo)

The rest of them have fluidity across their front 3. Players like Son, Salah, Dias etc. They don't have a wealth of Number 9s to chuck in.

If we sign one, we have to sell one, either now or in Jan. Unless we decide to pursue 4312. Which doesn't suit us.

Lacazette was released. The rest only Haaland, Nunez, Scamacca and Kane are central strikers 

Jesus for example said he prefers playing wide

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

The price won't be the obstacle. If Leao leaves Milan, it won't be for a club that isn't already a perennial Champions League participant. 

14 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

If Leao leaves Milan, it won't be for a club that isn't already a perennial Champions League participant. 

We have that covered...

Spoiler

Agent Gerrard in his gold helicopter and suit lands outside Rafaels house..he offers Leao a golden handshake and a golden cigar..he signs right away😛

• Like 1

If this is legit in terms of Lyon selling him. He could be a shout.

His stats look great. Seems like he could play as an 8. Excellent presser and ball winner on top of being a goal scorer and creator. 

Would likely be a replacement for ramsey or mcginn rather than reducing our need to play Luiz and Kamara. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You have a point. OK, I guess I think we spurn too many chances and we could do with a more clinical finisher.
I think Ings is that possibly, but is better dropping off a striker than being one. And we have the likes of Coutinho, Bailey and Buendia for that role.
Watkins is more like the striker we need in every way except where it matters most. He doesn't finish enough chances.

So I guess, upgrade Watkins and persist with Archer as understudy.

16 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

If this is legit in terms of Lyon selling him. He could be a shout.

His stats look great. Seems like he could play as an 8. Excellent presser and ball winner on top of being a goal scorer and creator. 

Would likely be a replacement for ramsey or mcginn rather than reducing our need to play Luiz and Kamara. 

Could think of much worse things than replacing McGinn with Paqueta. lol

I'm not overly worried for JJ, because I think he's the future regardless.

So even if he doesn't start as often, the experience and lessons he will learn from having all these top class players around is invaluable IMO.

Bonus if we could somehow squeeze into Europe and going further in Cups.

• Like 1