Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think we would have to ship one out before buying a new one and in all honesty nobody is taking Ings  unless its a loan deal and Watkins options are probably limited in Premier League terms. A team like West Ham/Leeds might fit him in but a. they have signed another player already or b. they probably cant afford him

Maybe, maybe not!  Look how many midfielders we have but apparently we are after another one.  I don’t necessarily disagree but at the same time I could still imagine Archer going on loan, Davis going and then us having Ollie, Danny and a new striker for the season.  

We know the club take opportunities when they arise, it doesn’t have to be the right timing.  I also don’t think they’d leave us in lurch of selling somebody and risk a deal collapsing for a new striker. I think they’ll get the a striker in and then sell one, whether it’s this window or a later one.

I’m not convinced Gerrard is happy with his current options.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe, maybe not!  Look how many midfielders we have but apparently we are after another one.  I don’t necessarily disagree but at the same time I could still imagine Archer going on loan, Davis going and then us having Ollie, Danny and a new striker for the season.  

We know the club take opportunities when they arise, it doesn’t have to be the right timing.  I also don’t think they’d leave us in lurch of selling somebody and risk a deal collapsing for a new striker. I think they’ll get the a striker in and then sell one, whether it’s this window or a later one.

I’m not convinced Gerrard is happy with his current options.

problem is the squad is already full up for the season but also it comes a time and place when the owners will demand some coaching to be done so these players improve. Cant just keep throwing money at a problem when we have allegedly a highly rated coaching team

Ings especially and Watkins didnt become goal shy overnight and we are paying them big money, before Coutinho and Digne joined Ings was our highest paid player

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

problem is the squad is already full up for the season but also it comes a time and place when the owners will demand some coaching to be done so these players improve. Cant just keep throwing money at a problem when we have allegedly a highly rated coaching team

Ings especially and Watkins didnt become goal shy overnight and we are paying them big money, before Coutinho and Digne joined Ings was our highest paid player

Watkin's did. As soon as Grealish left, he had a bit of competition with Ings and had to work harder for goals he faded. Don't get me wrong he has the odd good game, an this is when everyone talks about his quality, but to say he is inconsistent is a understatement.  11 goals last season is not amazing for a main striker, 8 of them were probably tap ins

• Like 1

I’m basing this on a few assumptions

Chuk is gone, Sanson as well, Kamara is a nailed on starter and that we’ll most likely use a formation that has 3 CM/CDMs in there.

With above in mind and the fact that we will most probably need a player (or two) that are a CM/CDM hybrids below are a few options. 

I’d rather we went big on an established CM/CDM and then a younger CDM/CM option personally. This would give us a really nice mix of personnel for the middle of the park. Anyhow, options below  

CM/CDM

Laimer (25), Tielemans (25), Hojbjerg (26), Dahoud (26), M. Nunes (23), Y. Fofana (23), K. Kone (21), N. Gonzalez (20)

CDM/CM

Grillitsch (26), Sangare (24), Koopmeiners (24), E. Alvarez (24), Zubimendi (23), M. Camara (22), K. Thuram (21), Danilo (21)

Thoughts?

• Like 2

With sidetracking further into a forest transfer appreciation thread… impressed Of the upcoming capture of Orel Mangala DM from Stuggart, capped twice by Belgium and though stats aren’t great on FBREF he’s a player who caught my eye when checking out Kalajdzic…. anyways back to Villa 

@burchy good list above and I’d add Exequiel Palacios from Leverkusen, Amadou Onana from Lille, Julian Weigl from Benfica…  Longshots Florian Neuhaus from Gladbach & Mikel Merino from Sociedad… 

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

With sidetracking further into a forest transfer appreciation thread… impressed Of the upcoming capture of Orel Mangala DM from Stuggart, capped twice by Belgium and though stats aren’t great on FBREF he’s a player who caught my eye when checking out Kalajdzic…. anyways back to Villa 

@burchy good list above and I’d add Exequiel Palacios from Leverkusen, Amadou Onana from Lille, Julian Weigl from Benfica…  Longshots Florian Neuhaus from Gladbach & Mikel Merino from Sociedad… 

Carlos Soler still hasn't moved or signed a new contract with Valencia. Wouldn't mind him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Did you watch any football last season? Putting them together up Top under Gerrard turned our form around and we went on a run. It's clear you might need your head examined not us.

I don't think they should play every game together, some games are better for other players and a different system. 

Sorry i have been to plenty of matches home and away and nearly everyone i know in Villa circles has the same opinion as me.

12 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Sorry i have been to plenty of matches home and away and nearly everyone i know in Villa circles has the same opinion as me.

I just think that the views of you and your circle are not based on evidence and are more typical of the recency bias the vast majority of football fans suffer from. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This idea that we can just go out and buy a top striker without selling one of Ings or Watkins is a bit daft if you ask me. Ings and Watkins cost a combined £60m to bring to the club and probably take home £200k a week between them. No club outside of the top 3/4 in this country can afford to have that much value and cost sitting on the bench for one position in the event we go out and sign another striker. 

So, for me, the club has a couple of options. They either sell Watkins or Ings. That's a lot harder said than done. 

The club almost definitely rate Watkins more highly than Ings. He's also younger, more valuable and proven to get you some goals. So, they should sell Ings. But who is going to buy Ings? An ageing striker with a chequered past re. injuries and he's also on 125k a week. Nobody is coming in for Ings on a permanent transfer with those wages. We all know Ings was a panic buy and unfortunately the club are going to pay the price for this. 
With this being the case, we sell Watkins, right? Are we willing to take that gamble? For all of his faults, and there are a lot, you know what you're getting with him. He's athletic, has an eye for goal, rarely injured and puts a shift in. 

Therein lies the problem. We can't sell Ings, and I don't think we want to gamble by selling Watkins (I'm sure he'd have suitors - West Ham to start). Our striker situation is a bit of a mess in truth. Lots of value but the players we have can't play the way Gerrard wants.

Answer? Sell neither, buy nobody and hope Archer comes good!! 

There would be plenty of teams willing to take Ings on loan.  We might need to pay a larger portion of his wages than we would like.  But if it comes down to signing a new striker who the manager and Board think will better suit our system and having to make more of a loss on Ings or not signing that player and sticking with the status quo - I think the Board are more likely to do the former.  The potential financial gain of finishing in the top 8 or 9 massively outweighs the cost of paying 50% of Ings' wages for the season.

That said Ings is probably more likely to be willing to play as a sub and get 20-30 minutes a week than Ollie.  So that is another thing that needs to be considered - especially as some people think that Watkins poor form last season was partly down to him being unhappy about a bit of competition and that the it was a mistake signing another striker.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

No chatter online about links for sone of our fringe guys, which i find worrying. 

I think alot of them will get scooped up as panic signings/loans later in the window.

I've seen word that Watford want Hause though.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Show's how much people forget. 

Change came to two up top and we won 3 on bounce. Brighton, Southampton, Leeds.

After the three game winning run we lost away to West Ham and then we had the disastrous return to two 10s in home loss to Arsenal. Ings was injured for Wolves game and returned for the Spurs game where we battered them for the entire first half. He missed out for Leicester 0:0. Changed the game when coming on and going to 2 up top against Norwich and we won the Burnley game that followed (Ings scored in both games). Klopp cites our split forwards causing them all sorts of problems in our next game which we lost 2:1 to Liverpool. Two draws and the City game to end the season.

I didn't forget. I assumed you meant those 3 games. Just amazed in a season where we finished 14th, a 3 game win streak is being used as some sort of evidence for the way we should play going forward. 

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Watkin's did. As soon as Grealish left, he had a bit of competition with Ings and had to work harder for goals he faded. Don't get me wrong he has the odd good game, an this is when everyone talks about his quality, but to say he is inconsistent is a understatement.  11 goals last season is not amazing for a main striker, 8 of them were probably tap ins

Any forward is going to miss Grealish his assists figures were unbelievable. As for Ings he's a proven premier League striker, the problem for our forwards is chance creation a severe lack of it.

Hopefully  the summer rest has allowed the coaches to sort this issue out. Us dropping Beundia from starting our last game isn't a great start. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I didn't forget. I assumed you meant those 3 games. Just amazed in a season where we finished 14th, a 3 game win streak is being used as some sort of evidence for the way we should play going forward. 

Was more than that though. First half against Spurs, when we changed it against Norwich and brought Ings on. The Liverpool game also, the Burnley game. 

To say they categorically can't play together as someone stated above is clearly nonsense. Hopefully we use 3 or maybe 4 different formations depending on the opposition or state of the game

Lord knows why this is being reported a year later lol, but I think potentially we made the right choice by getting Bailey instead if it was a situation where we had to choose between the two(assuming). 

I’m still very high on Bailey doing the biz for us.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tinker said:

I hope your right , French midfielders tend to struggle in the Premier League. 

Now wait for everyone on VT to name all the successful French midfielders over the years. This will be fun.

Also, Cantona and Kante