Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

At least in preseason all our "new" signings have performed well -  Coutinho, Kamara, Carlos and Olsen. Digne  look to be the real deal, so if we can just get last years'  cohort of Bailey, Ings and Buendia firing, we'll have had a really great transfer market record from our last three windows.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Let's see how Carlos does in a competitive Premier league match first, before taking about him like he is the son of Paul Mcgrath.

He is a 29 year old, without any proper international caps to his name, and hasn't played in such a physical league before. A lot of players struggle to live up to hype when they come to the PL with big reputations from Europe so let's reserve judgement. 

He has also improved a lot over the last 3 seasons and been instrumental in a Europa league winning defense. At international level he has been behind Thiago Silva and Marqinihos, as well as several other quality centre backs. Brazil has a lot of talent at cb.

Also I said top class, not world class. God was the best in the world.

Edited by Philosopher

West Ham in for £30m for Broja. Sell on/Buy backs may get included too for that fee. Shows how difficult it is to get a top class striker. Either have to go and get them on the up like Broja (and like we did with Watkins), or we're going to have to spend stupid money on one.

Wouldn't be against sticking with what we have for now. There isn't a clear stand-out at £50-60m+ that I think would genuinely come to us and wouldn't just be in it for a last payday.

Our other options are Jo David or someone similar, and with everything else we've been trying to fix, unsure we'll be confident of absolutely landing a standout striker for £30-40m it's not easy to do (Joelinton, Haller etc)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Dean Smith in various interviews after Jack left said “we tried to convince him to stay but unfortunately we felt we were 18 months away from giving him what he wants” 

The thing Jack craved most? Champions League footy. 

So I think the target is European football minimum this season. 

The players we’ve signed are good. And a few gaps have been plugged. The biggest limiting factor will be the coaching /management team.  

Gerrard has the tools but he needs to be able to use them effectively. Going to be a very interesting season and I’m looking forward to it.

Agree.

But we do have that limiting factor.  So 10th for me - at best.

I don't really see another big signing in midfield pushing us on - thats midfield is already pretty crowded - and Coutinho + Mcginn look nailed on starters.  

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agree.

But we do have that limiting factor.  So 10th for me - at best.

I don't really see another big signing in midfield pushing us on - thats midfield is already pretty crowded - and Coutinho + Mcginn look nailed on starters.  

I think the idea would be to get someone better than McGinn so he isn't a guaranteed starter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I think the idea would be to get someone better than McGinn so he isn't a guaranteed starter.

We already have an 8 better than McGinn who would make him a bench option. 

He's called Douglas Luiz, we've been forcing him to play 6 for 3 seasons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't get why people think top 10 is so ridiculously hard to achieve.

In my opinion:

• there aren't 10 teams with better striking options with us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better a better keeper than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better creative options than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with better equipped squads than us
  • there aren't 10 teams with a better DM than us 
  • there aren't 10 teams with 2 first team quality players for more positions than us

Let alone all of the above.

Because a midfield with Luiz and McGinn starting has been proven (for 3 seasons) to not be good enough.  Kamara is a great addition but there is a big risk that he just gets swapped because he will be trying to mark 3 midfielders when McGinn fails to track his man and Luiz can't get back quickly enough.

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Because a midfield with Luiz and McGinn starting has been proven (for 3 seasons) to not be good enough.  Kamara is a great addition but there is a big risk that he just gets swapped because he will be trying to mark 3 midfielders when McGinn fails to track his man and Luiz can't get back quickly enough.

Sure, if you want to ignore every other variable in the last 3 years.

Man Utd manage to finish much higher up the table with Fred and McTominay, a midfield that McGinn and Luiz have dominated on more than one occasion.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’d think so but I think you have to remember we were playing catch-up on those teams. First season spending was hugh but it was because we had no players ! It was to build a squad just to stay up. Last 2-3 seasons we have spent a lot but is it a significant amount more than those 3 teams mentioned ?  

Be interested to see how our wages look against those teams though and whether it’s a lot higher now.

Exactly this.  FFP has to an extent forced us to sign two (maybe three) teams in the space of 4 years.  I think people need to look at what our average spend per signing is over that period.  We've been adding 5 or 6 £10 million players whilst the teams we now want to challenge have been adding 2 £25 million players.  Now we are getting to the point where we are trying to buy players with the same value as our competitors because we have only just got to the point of having a similar quality squad.  People really should forget how much money we spent in 19/20 when comparing spend to other teams because that money was just spent to get a team on the pitch.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Sure, if you want to ignore every other variable in the last 3 years.

Man Utd manage to finish much higher up the table with Fred and McTominay, a midfield that McGinn and Luiz have dominated on more than one occasion.

I would hope that in 3 seasons they had dominated on more than one occassion!!  But the point is that they have been dominated far more often than they have dominated.  PS - Man Utd also had Pogba and Bruno Fernandes so that is a weird comparison to make.

36 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

He has also improved a lot over the last 3 seasons and been instrumental in a Europa league winning defense. At international level he has been behind Thiago Silva and Marqinihos, as well as several other quality centre backs. Brazil has a lot of talent at cb.

Also I said top class, not world class. God was the best in the world.

do they?

Have recently called up 37 year old Miranda into the squad and 33 year old Felipe from Atletico plus Gabriel from Arsenal and some 26 year old who never played abroad

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I would hope that in 3 seasons they had dominated on more than one occassion!!  But the point is that they have been dominated far more often than they have dominated.  PS - Man Utd also had Pogba and Bruno Fernandes so that is a weird comparison to make.

They have pretty much every time we've played them. 

Yes, they did also have two other midfielders who cost £150m between them.

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

do they?

Have recently called up 37 year old Miranda into the squad and 33 year old Felipe from Atletico plus Gabriel from Arsenal and some 26 year old who never played abroad

I'd happily have Militao or Bremer at Villa thou 

• Like 1