Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He's obviously hinting at that - Dortmund press deny it and now he's recycling TalkSport. He doesn't know anything about our transfer dealings.

Guy who famously knows lots about transfers knows nothing about transfers, you're right...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He's obviously hinting at that - Dortmund press deny it and now he's recycling TalkSport. He doesn't know anything about our transfer dealings.

Didn't he break the news of our new left back last week?

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Totally get your point of view. Its just we are now in a world where you cannot spend whatever you want. Our decreasing transfer outlay will be due to increased salaries. 

It scares me that i can be totally happy with 8 out of the 11 positions. It has been a long time since i felt like that. Probably 1982 !!

If we fall short this season it will be completely on the manager , not on the quality of the players i think. 

That is still 25% of the first team not being good enough.  But more importantly i am guessing that they are pretty important positions (CB, CM, ST?).  Not sure what you expectations are - but our current squad is probably battling for 10 - 12th.  If we finish below 12th we will have fallen short and that will be on Gerrard and the Board.  Unfortunately lots of other posters seem to think that we should be finishing around 8th and that not finishing top half would be falling short.

6 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

We get it—you don’t like Romano. Noted.

Romano was hinting about something with a Left Back way before any media reports.

After it came out, the bloke he often Pods with said they had that info for about two weeks prior and couldn't say anything.

Now obviously with transfers, things can change all the time, and sometimes journalists will be wrong.

However, Romano is obviously widely regarded as upper echelon.

As fans, we simply tend to choose what we believe or who we like based on if we like the news or not 😂. It's just natural ain't it?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

The thing about Romano is he’s tweeting about transfers 24/7 from almost every league, then if he doesn’t break an arsenal transfer for example and ornstein does everyone calls him a tap in merchant

Romano clearly has plenty of sources. The problem is they're nearly all agents, and agents sometimes lie. Still, him sharing the information is valuable to a fan if you can figure out how to parse the bullshit from the real stuff. Anybody who has been reading the tea leaves around Carney for the last year isn't surprised by any of this.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Romano is talking rubbish - in May he said Carney was off to Dortmund. The £20m figure is rubbish from Talksport. Tap-in merchant.

Did Romano shit in your cereal or something? :D 

• Haha 1

That Ekrem does just make things up or just copies the latest clickbait rumours, can pretty much ignore what he says with regards to transfers.

But Romano very reliable whether we like what he's saying or not.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Romano is talking rubbish - in May he said Carney was off to Dortmund. The £20m figure is rubbish from Talksport. Tap-in merchant.

Wouldn't be the first time he chatted rubbish about Aston Villa tbh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Even when they’ve been fit, they’ve been very underwhelming. Bailey especially. Sanson has been here longer than a season and just isn’t fancied by our management team. 

By all means, go into the season with these players but none of them will be starters for us. Ings is our highest paid player and he sits on the bench. 

Bailey hasn’t been fit since he got here, pre-season will do him the world of good.  Sanson, there is a player in there, he needs games.

Ings, again, had more goal inputs than anyone else in the team last year.  I think you are making his stats fit your narrative

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

5 league Cup games?? 😉

Seriously though, we will obviously need luck of the draw but with the expectation of it being a bit of a no man's land season I'd want Gerrard to go after the cups, we do have a chance there, we are good enough to give anyone a game, my memory is hazy but I thought we were the better team vs finalists Chelsea away last season 

So top 4 team away 3rd round of both

It always depends on the draw really.

Last two occasions we've reached Wembley in domestic cups it's been mostly home draws v lower league or weakened prem teams. 2019 was run of Crewe, Brighton reserves, Wolves under 20s, Liverpool under 15s and then Leicester which was a very good win considering the state we were in at the time.

2015 had home ties v Blackpool, Bournemouth, Leicester (when rock bottom of prem and surely going down) and West Brom.

With our squad options now we certainly could put out a pretty experienced second string 11 (in the unlikely event they're all fit at that time!) and rest 5-6 of our key players for the crucial 6 pointer at home to Southampton the following weekend but gets a bit difficult if we get Man. City away early. Was going to say Liverpool aswell but they usually put their reserves out in the early rounds.

We have had a great window, and it was reassuringly done extremely professionally, we are a very serious club these days. Patience please, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

I don’t believe we are done yet: does the silence not surprise you - it’s how we do business these days. As I said earlier we are very serious about our trajectory at this moment, I expect more very good signings before the window closes - it will be the gilding of the Lilly, the business so far was the missing links. Further, apparently the PL has so far only spent £412m and this window is expected to total £1.2B so a shit load of business is yet to happen and we are as serious as anyone at strengthening.

And FWIW I am happy if we are done, we will be much better this season, just look at our squad today, it’s top half.

Lastly, I couldn’t care about Carney, he’s talented but it’s 50/50 if he makes the grade, you’d think he should knocking on the door given all the hype, but has had chances (he frankly hasn’t deserved) and he isn’t even close.

• Like 1