Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

8 hours ago, RicRic said:

Im setting a target of 18 wins for next season and lets call it 7 draws and no more than 13 losses. Does that sound pretty realistic and achievable?

Personally I'm always a fan of 19-10-9

46 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t seem to be much focus on him. 

Interesting tweet from Guilbert but didn’t he tweet something similar last season? Tbf Gerrard hasn’t had a proper chance to work with him yet so he could still end up in his plans.

is this a serious theory? do you honestly think the admin are told which players are on the transfer list and therefore not to focus in on them too much?

i refer you back to grealish last season. the deal was done but was in plenty of vids and pics

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

is this a serious theory? do you honestly think the admin are told which players are on the transfer list and therefore not to focus in on them too much?

i refer you back to grealish last season. the deal was done but was in plenty of vids and pics

Nah was a bit of fun as mentioned in my first post.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah was a bit of fun as mentioned in my first post.

ah missed that, soz

in which case, sanson definitely staying!

Edited by tomav84
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

dread to think what this place is going to be like when the transfer window slams shut and we haven't signed another player

hate to break it to some on here, but that's a very real possibility

i think young signing an extension puts the search for another LB on hold for a start

You're not breaking it to anyone, that's the reason we're getting annoyed because it is a very real possibility and it gives off the impression that everyone at the club is happy to continue finishing midtable which is where we'll finish if we go into next season with the current squad.

I personally feel we are sadly done for a couple of reasons: 1) Gerrard said he wanted his business done before preseason games started; and 2) there have been no decent links to anyone for at least a month.

The only thing giving me hope is Gerrard said that this summer window would be really exciting for the club (which would contradict what we have done so far) and the fact that we are usually very quiet about who we want so we may be doing a lot of stuff under the radar. 

I'd give the window a 6/10 so far. Certainly not been bad at all as we have signed two quality players in positions we needed to improve, but we still haven't solved Luiz and Carney's contract situations, and need at least one more player to go into the first team (a box to box midfielder) especially if Luiz goes but even if he doesn't. If we were to sell Ings for example and bring in a striker better than Watkins that would improve the window even further and the icing on the cake would be another CB but I don't see this happening and think Mings will be given one more season. We have also only sold Trez, Targett and Kalinic so far and we still have El Ghazi, Davis, Hause (who's now bloomin injured so probably won't get sold) and others on the books. So a 6/10 feels about right. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RicRic said:

Think its harder to get points now if you look at this season and the season before you will see how significantly less points teams accumulated, man United didn’t even achieve 60 pts.. and only the top 5 achieved 60 or more points 

This, we only managed 55 points due to empty stadiums, there was less pressure on the players as they knew the slightest mistake and they were getting howled at.

I really cannot see us getting 60 points, lets take off our Villa Glasses for a minute i really cant see us getting anything from Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs. Arsenal or Utd ( we have to play vs 12 men ) - expecting no more that 5 points off these teams, same as we got last season!!

We might get something vs West ham and Leicester but not 12 points - West ham did the double over us last season scoring 6 goals over 2 games!  4 points

Newcastle and Wolves will probably S**house wins - Wolves did the double over us last season (the game we threw the game away losing 3-2 still hurts!!) 6 points

Brentford - who have a bloody hoodoo on us! would expect 6 points but we only got 1 point last season!  4 points

Palace - 3 points last season - 3 points

Southampton - should be getting 6 points here but only managed 3 last season - 3 points

Brighton -  should be 6 but only managed 4  - 6 points 

Leeds - 4 last season - would hope for 6 but can see them S***house a win or draw. 4 points

Everton - 6 points last season - 6 points  

Then the 3 teams that came up - 

Forest - should be 6 - probably be 3

Fulham - again should be 6 but can see 4 points

Bournemouth - 1st day loss for us - 3 points 

So that is the grand total of -  51 points.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, calcifer said:

This, we only managed 55 points due to empty stadiums, there was less pressure on the players as they knew the slightest mistake and they were getting howled at.

I really cannot see us getting 60 points, lets take off our Villa Glasses for a minute i really cant see us getting anything from Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs. Arsenal or Utd ( we have to play vs 12 men ) - expecting no more that 5 points off these teams, same as we got last season!!

We might get something vs West ham and Leicester but not 12 points - West ham did the double over us last season scoring 6 goals over 2 games!  4 points

Newcastle and Wolves will probably S**house wins - Wolves did the double over us last season (the game we threw the game away losing 3-2 still hurts!!) 6 points

Brentford - who have a bloody hoodoo on us! would expect 6 points but we only got 1 point last season!  4 points

Palace - 3 points last season - 3 points

Southampton - should be getting 6 points here but only managed 3 last season - 3 points

Brighton -  should be 6 but only managed 4  - 6 points 

Leeds - 4 last season - would hope for 6 but can see them S***house a win or draw. 4 points

Everton - 6 points last season - 6 points  

Then the 3 teams that came up - 

Forest - should be 6 - probably be 3

Fulham - again should be 6 but can see 4 points

Bournemouth - 1st day loss for us - 3 points 

I think this is extremely negative. We had a really poor start to last season so were playing catch-up. I expect us to be better and at the least beat all 3 promoted teams twice. 

Also we beat Brighton twice last season. 

This didn't help other sides then? Just us? 

We got 55 points because we deserved it and it was probably the lower end of what we could have achieved that season.

Depending on performance that could be a good, decent or poor season.

New day, same recycled views :) 

There is nothing to suggest we are 'done' with our transfers. Its only July 5th.

Bailey and Ings didn't sign until early August last season. 

Patience folks! :D 

Edited by Xela

4 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Preece reckons we aren't interested in a midfielder--pinch.of.salt.

image.png.cec46c0d737d01735793872b9917cd46.png

Pinch of salt indeed, Preece knows absolutely sod all, even Gregg Evans has more insight than him. But like a broken clock that is right twice a day, I fear he will be right on this occasion. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I can't imagine we'll be signing a new Midfielder without one leaving. 

Yep, midfield wise we have Nakamba, Kamara, Luiz, Sanson, McGinn, Ramsey, Chukwuemeka and Iroegbunam. Buendia and Coutinho can also play in there if needed. So we have numbers at the very least. 

I want Sanson to have another go and I think based on his use last season Nakamba will stay. Rumours about Luiz persist so if he goes then we need a replacement. I dont think we will sign a replacement for Chuk or Tim if they go out on loan. 

I wouldn't read too much into Preece saying that we don't want another midfielder, he just guesses based on what he thinks is going to happen and then frames that as some sort of inside knowledge.

Also covers himself by saying 'not now at least', other than a few bits and pieces relating to the academy I can't recall him ever being 'ITK' or having any kind of exclusive with regards to us, it's all just guesswork

Edited by useless

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I can't recall him ever being 'ITK' or having any kind of exclusive with regards to us, it's all just guesswork

One exception is news relating to the academy, same for Gregg Evans and a few others, even Football Insider have broke stories relating to our academy, seems it's easier to get information relating to that side of things.

Pointing this out because he's said that Feeney has signed a pro deal, which is good news for us.

Surely we don't sign another midfielder if luiz signs a new contract and sanson stays. Its actually a well balanced midfield. If Luiz/Sanson leaves though then we definitely need replacements. Hopefully something that gets sorted out soon

Ramsey/Mcginn                                     Luiz/Sanson

Kamara/Nakamba

Edited by TheMightyVillans
  • Like 1