Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

I'd take Barbosa if the fee was under 15 million. 

The common knowledge is that Barbosa was very young and struggled to settle. Ability and talent was never in doubt. Tim Vickery I think said that he is far more mature and focus now and would fair much better. 

The only problem with him is he isn't an out and out striker and as much a creator as a goalscorer. The other thing is I'm not sure how he'd do with the physicality of the Premier league.

He would ba gamble, but for the right price worth a gamble, as his talent is prodigious, and we have 3 Brazilians here to help him settle.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'd take Barbosa if the fee was under 15 million. 

The common knowledge is that Barbosa was very young and struggled to settle. Ability and talent was never in doubt. Tim Vickery I think said that he is far more mature and focus now and would fair much better. 

The only problem with him is he isn't an out and out striker and as much a creator as a goalscorer. The other thing is I'm not sure how he'd do with the physicality of the Premier league.

He would ba gamble, but for the right price worth a gamble, as his talent is prodigious, and we have 3 Brazilians here to help him settle.

I can see them wanting a big fee, in which case would be too much of a risk.  He does play as an out and out striker now though, he played out wide when he was younger but has been a more traditional centre forward since returning to Brazil.

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

They are all good enough to remain in the squad, but as bench options.

I think I disagree. Luiz has played as a second pivot for Brazil and has a calmness and passing ability that will be useful alongside a DCM and is the most composed of our crop (excluding Kamara who we haven't seen in the PL as yet). SJM has looked great when he has played further forward - he's a constant goal threat at international level. Sanson has looked good in short cameos - who knows what he could look like with a decent run. They all have the potential to be very good players for us.

A lot depends on Luiz and Chukies new contract positions for me.

I would be more than happy going into the new season with three from six of Kamara, Sangare (or equivalent), Ramsey, SJM, Luiz and Chukie. I would sell Sanson and Nakamba unless Luiz and/or Chukie move on in which case I would re-assess. 

We all know that we have needed a DCM for a long time now and Kamara addresses that, but my mind goes back to the West Ham game where Stevie referred to wanting some steel and composure. I think we would have that and have a good mix of attributes across that six.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I can see them wanting a big fee, in which case would be too much of a risk.  He does play as an out and out striker now though, he played out wide when he was younger but has been a more traditional centre forward since returning to Brazil.

He plays that 9 position, but he drops deep a bit not always on the shoulder of the last defender.

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

He plays that 9 position, but he drops deep a bit not always on the shoulder of the last defender.

Probably wouldn't suit us in that case, you need to play with wide forwards if your striker drops deep.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

There's something about barbosa, been around a while, everyone knows who he is, he's not some gem that our scouts found and no one else did and yet no one goes for him, he's been to Europe failed and gone back 

He's a huge risk, could work as his record in Brazil is good but sods law we all know what will happen, great signing for someone else shit signing for us, that's villas luck

Remember Damaio, linked to Europe for years and hyped. Think he had about half season in Europe and didn't play much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Where are you getting these stats? I admit he's goalscoring is better than I realized because he didn't play that many games but this is still too high from what I can see.

I took them off SoccerWay.

This season hasn't been great for him due to injuries. He's only played 20 games across all comps, but has still scored 14 goals in them.

• Like 1

The envoy of the English club, Mathew Hobbes, met with the leadership of #River and with those close to #EnzoFernández . The refusal was because the player wants to stay and play the #CopaLibertadores . Now they continue carving the #Benfica , first, and then the #Milan .

Would be fun if Villa entered with a cheeky bid 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With the risk of facing the wrath of " His record as a CF is xxx in X games in France" etc. I'd rather have Davis as a 4th choice " striker " than Traore, and I love Traore.

However if you're depending on him against 2022 PL defenders you've got issues 

As a " Wide forward " no issue though.

I was thinking if we are playing split forwards and one 10 then Bailey/Traore can work on that in pre season how to play as a 2 up top with Watkins on left. It's about work rate off the ball really 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Remember Damaio, linked to Europe for years and hyped. Think he had about half season in Europe and didn't play much

Leandro Damaio, from memory he was a bigger build than your average Brazilian almost looked built for the PL, was great at internacional where Wes is now, he might still be playing 

I don't think he did much for the national team either 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I was thinking if we are playing split forwards and one 10 then Bailey/Traore can work on that in pre season how to play as a 2 up top with Watkins on left. It's about work rate off the ball really 

I honestly never want to see Ollie out wide again, he’s ineffective imo