Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

I don't want Gabriel Barbosa, Richarlison or Cherno Samba at the Villa. Meh Signings. Lets get onto the real targets

Edited by messi11

21 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I just don't see Richarlison moving from Everton to Villa. Bit of a sideways move. 

What am I missing that Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea seemingly interested to various levels? I’m not sure he’s better than what we have and I’m not 100% convinced on Watkins and Ings myself.  He’s a fine player but is he worth the money enough that he’s better than what we have?

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What am I missing that Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea seemingly interested to various levels? I’m not sure he’s better than what we have and I’m not 100% convinced on Watkins and Ings myself.  He’s a fine player but is he worth the money enough that he’s better than what we have?

Def doesn't improve our first 11!  

Realistically we should probably abandon signing a new CF in this market. Everyone is trying to sign one and we'll end up missing out on the best ones. 

Keep Archer and Traore around the first team next season and then make decisions in January 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, messi11 said:

we need a new number 8! 
Mcginn and Sanson and Luiz arent good enough 

They are all good enough to remain in the squad, but as bench options.

• Like 2

There's something about barbosa, been around a while, everyone knows who he is, he's not some gem that our scouts found and no one else did and yet no one goes for him, he's been to Europe failed and gone back 

He's a huge risk, could work as his record in Brazil is good but sods law we all know what will happen, great signing for someone else shit signing for us, that's villas luck

16 hours ago, nick76 said:

Well we were linked with him in December…some reports suggested £20-25m

For the same money, we could have Dennis or Broja (latter is slightly more) who are both proven in the PL and could be decent options?

Neither are necessarily an upgrade on what we have - but I think this is very hard to achieve - but both would provide depth/options and potential.

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its a no from me for Barbosa. If we got him at his peak when he was top scorer in Brazil, sure. But he hasn't been particularly outstanding since and is in the midst of his worst season so far for them.

I'm not sure where the narrative of Barbosa falling off the footballing cliff is coming from. His goal percentage stats across all comps since his return to South America in 2018 are:

2018: 51%
2019: 73%
2020: 62%
2021: 75.5%
2022: 70%

Not too shabby. 1 in 2 (or better) in each season. It's just getting him to adapt and keeping him injury-free really. The attitude will likely disappear (or, at least, mellow out) with age.

Nonetheless, I'd still rather us spend the money on less of a wildcard.

35 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Realistically we should probably abandon signing a new CF in this market. Everyone is trying to sign one and we'll end up missing out on the best ones. 

Keep Archer and Traore around the first team next season and then make decisions in January 

With the risk of facing the wrath of " His record as a CF is xxx in X games in France" etc. I'd rather have Davis as a 4th choice " striker " than Traore, and I love Traore.

However if you're depending on him against 2022 PL defenders you've got issues 

As a " Wide forward " no issue though.

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

I'm not sure where the narrative of Barbosa falling off the footballing cliff is coming from. His goal percentage stats across all comps since his return to South America in 2018 are:

2018: 51%
2019: 73%
2020: 62%
2021: 75.5%
2022: 70%

Not too shabby. 1 in 2 (or better) in each season. It's just getting him to adapt and keeping him injury-free really. The attitude will likely disappear (or, at least, mellow out) with age.

Nonetheless, I'd still rather us spend the money on less of a wildcard.

Where are you getting these stats? I admit he's goalscoring is better than I realized because he didn't play that many games but this is still too high from what I can see.