Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

58 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m not sure if he has to be honest, not that I’ve seen anyway 

A couple of times…I haven’t got the link unfortunately but somebody else posted one of his quotes elsewhere which I’ve copied below.

[John Percy - Daily Telegraph] "Another busy summer is inevitable under Steven Gerrard. The Villa head coach wants at least two other major signings, with Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips a leading target. There are other priorities, including a centre-back, left-back and forward."

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Only 2 current Premier League players have more than Lukaku in the Premier League and thats Kane and Vardy

He is 19th in history 

Ok, so you think he’s an excellent PL striker? That his spells at Man U and Chelsea lead you to believe that?  I’d even grant you he scored 28 goals in 66 games for Man U but his last two PL teams we two of the best in the league in those seasons and can you honestly say he was excellent….far from it!

19 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

A lot of good teams in the league deploy it like Arsenal, Leicester and West Ham, plus Gerrard's narrow 4-3-2-1 has hardly been a roaring success.

We spend too much time worrying about formation and not enough about players. No matter the formation, everybody ends up with five or six attacking and everybody dropping back in defense.

Edited by VillaHatesMe

19 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Many seem to want Villa to play 4231. I’m not sure why. 

For me it will give us strength against the biggest teams at the back, allow more possession in the team and then more freedom for our fullbacks if they get caught up field along with giving our front creative players more freedom on the counter attack.  I don’t expect it against weaker teams but against the bigger teams I love the tactic.

• Like 3

1. Forty million plus on a new attacker,
  2. another big fee on a midfielder,
  3. twenty million or so on a left-back, the possiblity of one or two more signings, depending on how ready we think some of the younger players are, it all adds up,
  4. still a lot of work to be done.
  5. And also the possiblity of more players being brought in for the academy.
  6. Close to another £100m spent wouldn't surprise me at all,
  7. although it has crossed my mind we could bring someone like Belotti as the forward which would bring down the amount we spend.
Edited by useless
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ok, so you think he’s an excellent PL striker? That his spells at Man U and Chelsea lead you to believe that?  I’d even grant you he scored 28 goals in 66 games for Man U but his last two PL teams we two of the best in the league in those seasons and can you honestly say he was excellent….far from it!

He is a good striker potentially very good but he has had teams that dont play to his strengths and use him as a battering ram striker which he isnt unless he is playing against Villa. Chelsea system doesnt suit a centre forward and more a false 9 and United well thats a basketcase of a club

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Surprised no one has gone in for seiwald from Salzburg only 21 central midfielder, from what I’ve seen he’s only going to get better and be at at big team in a year or 2

I thought that was at the back of Brindley Place??😉

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

He has nearly 100 goals for them in 235 games, considering he doesnt start weekly thats a good goal return

And gets tasked with essentially playing as a tracking back winger against Madrid. He’s a very good footballer. 

57 minutes ago, useless said:

I think we will buy another five to ten players, three to five of those for the first team, smash our transfer record, maybe even twice, and spend close to another £100M. Just because the media aren't giving daily updates doesn't mean that major things aren't happening in the background.

Not sure why this is getting such reactions, when you break it down, it's all plausiable enough, new left-back, midfielder, and attacker, aren't going to come cheap, combined could easily cost the best part of a hundred million, and we could easily break our transfer record, pretty sure it's only around £34m as it stands, would hardly be a shock if we spent more than that on a new attacker.

'five to ten players, three to five of those for the first team', is also very plausible, if you look and read that very closely it means we could sign between three and ten players, but only three to five of those I would expect to be for the first team, but it also allows for the possiblity of academy signings.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think we will buy another five to ten players, three to five of those for the first team, smash our transfer record, maybe even twice, and spend close to another £100M. Just because the media aren't giving daily updates doesn't mean that major things aren't happening in the background.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Christ not the double pivot again. Why is there such an obsession with this particular tactic over almost any other? 

Because it is one of the two best tactics

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure why this is getting such reactions, when you break it down, it's all plausiable enough, new left-back, midfielder, and attacker, aren't going to come cheap, combined could easily cost the best part of a hundred million, and we could easily break our transfer record, pretty sure it's only around £34m as it stands, would hardly be a shock if we spent more than that on a new attacker.

'five to ten players, three to five of those for the first team', is also very plausible, if you look and read that very closely it means we could sign between three and ten players, but only three to five of those I would expect to be for the first team, but it also allows for the possiblity of academy signings.

No one counts academy players when numbing signings