Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why so?

I think potentially we could end up selling as many as ten players for fees - there's a whole lot around the edges ready for a clear out and I think there will be one or two we don't expect - I'm interested in why you'd think we'd look at loans.

Did we manage to sell Wesley?
Did we manage to sell Targett in Jan?
Did we manage to sell Trezeguet?
Did we manage to sell El Ghazi?
Did we manage to sell Samatta? 
Did we manage to sell Hourihane?
Did we manage to sell Lovre Kalinic?

Selling players is hard. Why would clubs want to buy our players when they can just easily get them on loan? That's why I am thinking the majority of our outs will just be loans. Maybe even Ings might go on loan

I do love the stories in todays broadsheets that Newcastle will not be spending obscene money. - £60ml was the quoted budget. Peanuts compared to our first spend in the PL under NWSE. Geordie tears are sweet,

I do expect we will go big this summer. The hardest thing about that is the emotional attachment we have to some of those players who have done great by us, but not good enough for the next level. Targett probably the first example - expect Luiz and Mings/Konsa to fall in this category over the next 18 months

8 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Are you over 30? Are you on ridiculously High wages? Are you abit of a name? Heard of Steven gererard? 
Well Welcome to Aston Villa Football Club

Coutinho apparently triggered the reflexes so that Villa will be linked with every ageing star in Europe from now on. This summer is going to be painful.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Selling players is hard. Why would clubs want to buy our shit players 

FTFY

There is a bit of a misconception growing as to how easy it should be to sell our players and how we should get good / better fees for them 

Not good enough for Aston Villa is not as high a bar as it seems, there isn't a market for our cast offs 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not good enough for Aston Villa is not as high a bar as it seems, there isn't a market for our cast offs 

But it's a much higher bar than it was a couple of years ago. 

I'm confident we'll find buyers for some of the players we'd like to move on this summer.

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

Did we manage to sell Wesley?
Did we manage to sell Targett in Jan?
Did we manage to sell Trezeguet?
Did we manage to sell El Ghazi?
Did we manage to sell Samatta? 
Did we manage to sell Hourihane?
Did we manage to sell Lovre Kalinic?

I think there are lots of stories in amongst that list, but in short I'd go:

• Not yet, we knew the injury would massively devalue him and hoped a loan would help retain some value - sadly it hasn't.
  • We didn't - it's not quite clear whether we wanted to and regardless, with the amount of time we had (Targett didn't want to leave until 20th January), a sale would have been difficult.
  • I don't think we've attempted to sell Trezeguet - while he was injured it would have been very difficult and we sent him on loan to try to prove his value somewhere after the big injury because he wouldn't have got enough playing time here - in this case, that's worked, he's looked sharp on his loan.
  • We did not - and he remains a very difficult player to judge in terms of his value - ultimately he's got a Premier league season with 10+ goals behind him, someone ought to be willing - the loan hasn't worked out at all though.
  • Yes, yes we did - I believe we got £5.5m from Fenerbache.
  • Nope, we did not - a good servant in getting us from the Championship - he's one you'd have hoped we'd have found a club willing to pay something for, but I'm guessing his wage put teams off.
  • Apparently we had a buyer lined up this summer but he refused and said he would only play for Hajduk Split, I'm hoping there's a loan fee that compensates us for the inconvenience.

Of the seven on that list, I reckon we've probably actively looked to sell three or four and succeeded with one (and Bjorn Engels) - it's not a great return for us, but it's a common issue in clubs that are growing through players quickly - I'm still confident we'll sell players this summer and generate some decent income from doing so.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2022 at 12:27, CVByrne said:

Gomez is the example I use as he's an elite passer and balling playing CB.

I think this is questionable. The guy was a top top prospect and was looking good for sure. But elite? He didn't break into England squad ahead of Stones as a starter. He had one season as a starting CB in this league and had van Djik next to him. 

With his injury record you're still looking at a player with potential but a humongous question mark next to his name. Say Wesley had banged in 12 goals before his injury and looked really good, would you expect a club to match or exceed our fee for him having never proved himself to be back at that level after twelve months out... 

Edited by Dale
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Would love Moriba from Leipzig, as they already want to sell him after buying him from Barcelona

Just read why they want rid … Not sure he’s the character we need at present . 

If Dortmund really are after Carney then we shouldn't be accepting anything below 10m. Hadn't really factored him into the equation as I suspect he'll still say unless his head has really been turned.

Think he's way off starting for a team of that calibre anyway as it stands.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

FTFY

There is a bit of a misconception growing as to how easy it should be to sell our players and how we should get good / better fees for them 

Ironic we might have more issue moving on some who've played parts in getting us to mid table of prem and playing in some very good wins over top 6 teams compared to many of our 2016 lot who we didn't have much issue moving on.

Someone like Westwood stayed for half a season down in championship and then moved on for tidy profit to Burnley in Jan 2017. Ayew also stayed and scored about two goals in the championship but got prem move to Swansea. Add in Veretout, Adama etc and that was the last time we made a good 30-40m on first 11/squad players although circumstances were very different and it went to waste with the chaotic way Xia was running us to the ground e.g. having to sell off some of their sell on clauses.

At least now it's different. I'd like to think if likes of Luiz and Carney move on in the summer we'd put in decent sell on clauses for both as you never know.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If Dortmund really are after Carney then we shouldn't be accepting anything below 10m. Hadn't really factored him into the equation as I suspect he'll still say unless his head has really been turned.

Think he's way off starting for a team of that calibre anyway as it stands.

It has to be double figures or why not just keep him for the year and see if he signs..... who knows he may play 15 out of our first 25 games and think I had better sign up here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Ironic we might have more issue moving on some who've played parts in getting us to mid table of prem and playing in some very good wins over top 6 teams compared to many of our 2016 lot who we didn't have much issue moving on.

Someone like Westwood stayed for half a season down in championship and then moved on for tidy profit to Burnley in Jan 2017. Ayew also stayed and scored about two goals in the championship but got prem move to Swansea. Add in Veretout, Adama etc and that was the last time we made a good 30-40m on first 11/squad players although circumstances were very different and it went to waste with the chaotic way Xia was running us to the ground e.g. having to sell off some of their sell on clauses.

At least now it's different. I'd like to think if likes of Luiz and Carney move on in the summer we'd put in decent sell on clauses for both as you never know.

To be honest if you aren't getting top dollar for some reason you should be inserting these clauses anyway, especially with young players like you mentioned.

5 hours ago, messi11 said:

Are you over 30? Are you on ridiculously High wages? Are you abit of a name? Heard of Steven gererard? 
Well Welcome to Aston Villa Football Club

Welcome John Arne Riise?

Any prizes for guessing who " liked " your post?

• Like 2