Boubacar Kamara

Delphinho123

25 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Does that mean the two months out report was bullshit or is this a non severe ligament injury?

BBC site saying "around two months".

"Aston Villa midfielder Boubacar Kamara is likely to be out for around two months after suffering knee ligament damage - putting his involvement in the World Cup in doubt."

(link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63006030)

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Although the names are incredibly significant, the weight of numbers you refer to is a staggering.......

Yes, but it's the length of time these three will be missing and as you rightly say their significance. 👍

32 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Does that mean the two months out report was bullshit or is this a non severe ligament injury?

It's a knee sprain between a grade 1 and grade 2. Some tearing of the ligament but not enough to warrent surgery. The only problem with a knee sprain of this severity is that they could get halfway into the rehabilitation program and discover the knee isn't responding to treatment. Surgery would be become the next best option. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

It's a knee sprain between a grade 1 and grade 2. Some tearing of the ligament but not enough to warrent surgery. The only problem with a knee sprain of this severity is that they could get halfway into the rehabilitation program and discover the knee isn't responding to treatment. Surgery would be become the next best option. 

How do you know what grade it is? Or can it only possibly be one of those two if we've decided to not perform surgery at this stage?

Is there anyway we can determine if it's ACL or another ligament?

Seeming like you know a bit about this stuff, what's the success ratio of non-surgery recovery from these types of injuries? 

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

How do you know what grade it is? Or can it only possibly be one of those two if we've decided to not perform surgery at this stage?

Seeming like you know a bit about this stuff, what's the success ratio of non-surgery recovery from these types of injuries? 

There are usually 3 grades for sprains - 1 is mild and 3 is a full tear, which definitely requires surgery. Since it appears that he won’t need surgery and judging by the time he’s expected to be off we, as internet doctors, can safely conclude it’s a grade 2 sprain.

He’ll rest some, get some therapy and will probably be re-evaluated in 6 weeks so we’ll know more by then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

Do our physios and fitness coaches need to be questioned, now that we've had two major early season injury crises two seasons running?

How could the physios have prevented these injuries or any other on the pitch during matches ?

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Only grade 1 and 2 can be rehabilitated, at least for a professional athlete, without surgery. 

Given the stated time of recovery I would assume the MRI showed some tearing of the ligament but not enough to warrent an invasive surgery. The knee has 4 ligaments (PCL, ACL, LCL, and ACL). The most common ligament tear requiring surgery is the ACL. The self healing ability of the ACL is poor when compared to the other ligaments.  So for professional athletes the usual decision is opt for surgery.  The MCL given it's location and size doesn't usually suffer a grade 3 tear unless it's a bad injury. Look up Willis Mcgahee knee injury on YouTube if you want to see a MCL grade 3 tear. I will caution, definitely not for the squeamish. That video will show you the impact needed to suffer a grade 3 tear of the MCL. The MCL also has better self healing properties so is better candidate for physical therapy.  

The main concern with Boubacar is that the MCL responds to therapy. It almost always does but a concern none the less. Also, he could have other damaged that was missed in the original scan. When I tore my lateral meniscus I had to go in for surgery.  The Doc noticed I also had some tearing of the ACL that the MRI didn't pick up. So MRIs are definitely the best way to determine soft tissue tears but they aren't foolproof.   For the above states reasons I think the club has hedged on the conservative side of recovery. Which given the injury is the smart move. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Only grade 1 and 2 can be rehabilitated, at least for a professional athlete, without surgery. 

Given the stated time of recovery I would assume the MRI showed some tearing of the ligament but not enough to warrent an invasive surgery. The knee has 4 ligaments (PCL, ACL, LCL, and ACL). The most common ligament tear requiring surgery is the ACL. The self healing ability of the ACL is poor when compared to the other ligaments.  So for professional athletes the usual decision is opt for surgery.  The MCL given it's location and size doesn't usually suffer a grade 3 tear unless it's a bad injury. Look up Willis Mcgahee knee injury on YouTube if you want to see a MCL grade 3 tear. I will caution, definitely not for the squeamish. That video will show you the impact needed to suffer a grade 3 tear of the MCL. The MCL also has better self healing properties so is better candidate for physical therapy.  

The main concern with Boubacar is that the MCL responds to therapy. It almost always does but a concern none the less. Also, he could have other damaged that was missed in the original scan. When I tore my lateral meniscus I had to go in for surgery.  The Doc noticed I also had some tearing of the ACL that the MRI didn't pick up. So MRIs are definitely the best way to determine soft tissue tears but they aren't foolproof.   For the above states reasons I think the club has hedged on the conservative side of recovery. Which given the injury is the smart move. 

Would have thought they use ultrasound too?

1 hour ago, smg said:

How could the physios have prevented these injuries or any other on the pitch during matches ?

They couldn't.  There's no blame to be apportioned here.  I think some just like to have someone to blame when things go wrong.  It's just bad luck.  Of course, the non-scientific explanation is that Kamara and Carlos both came straight into a frenetic league with a pace and required fitness levels above where they've come from.  I'm sure they are/were up to fitness in terms of cardiovascular capacity, but muscle development/adjustment maybe not quite.  Nothing the physios or fitness trainers can do about that....  The only real thing they can measure is heart rate, speed and distance.

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Sounds like he could be back in time to get injured in the World Cup. 

Thankfully there is too much competition in the France squad for him to get picked if he's injured for an extended period. Shame for him of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdman said:

Would have thought they use ultrasound too?

Ultrasound works to a certain degree if you don't want to fork out the money for MRI time. With the money being spent on process athletes though any club is going to go straight to the best method. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FLVillan said:

They couldn't.  There's no blame to be apportioned here.  I think some just like to have someone to blame when things go wrong.  It's just bad luck.  Of course, the non-scientific explanation is that Kamara and Carlos both came straight into a frenetic league with a pace and required fitness levels above where they've come from.  I'm sure they are/were up to fitness in terms of cardiovascular capacity, but muscle development/adjustment maybe not quite.  Nothing the physios or fitness trainers can do about that....  The only real thing they can measure is heart rate, speed and distance.

Couldn’t agree more and what you describe was clearly a problem for Bailey last season.

• 4 weeks later...
Â