Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

8 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Weird as now they're talking €19m to Spurs, much less than the £30m from the other day

This is more than weird. Shows how little these people know and how gullible the people are who believe every word.

Yeah, he was probably like Aston who?

Three Serie A titles, CL player, 46 international caps I was initially thinking what a coup if we sign him but then after a few days I thought there is no chance.

We are somewhat lower down the pecking order for players like Bentancur, Bissouma, Phillips, Kamara etc...

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Phil McNulty said we had finished our business last year as we had no money and we signed Barkley. Threw a tantrum when people questioned him 

Barkley was a loan and Smith said that he was surprised to get Barkley. It sounds like one of those that they thought wasn't going to happen but did. 

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Three Serie A titles, CL player, 46 international caps I was initially thinking what a coup if we sign him but then after a few days I thought there is no chance.

We are somewhat lower down the pecking order for players like Bentancur, Bissouma, Phillips, Kamara etc...

We signed Coutinho, that's a bigger name than any of those players will ever be.

Edited by Mr_Dogg
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

And yet we brought in Coutinho and Digne who have 64 and 43 caps respectively for two of the best national teams in the world.

Don't think attracting players will be a problem if they buy into our vision, we want to be looking to overtake teams like Spurs over the next 2 years.

To be honest he's taken a backwards step going from Juve to Spurs, not in Europe this season, not going to win anything, might make top 6 but very unlikely top 4 so he'll be playing in the Europa next season at best. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

And yet we brought in Coutinho and Digne who have 64 and 43 caps respectively for two of the best national teams in the world.

Don't think attracting players will be a problem if they buy into our vision, we want to be looking to overtake teams like Spurs over the next 2 years.

To be honest he's taken a backwards step going from Juve to Spurs, not in Europe this season, not going to win anything, might make top 6 but very unlikely top 4 so he'll be playing in the Europa next season at best. 

Still more likely than Villa.. arguably going to spurs is the safer option for him, if he want to carry on playing European Football 

Just now, PieFacE said:

I find it a bit odd that Spurs would sign 2 midfielders from Juve?

The Paratici connection I guess. He was Dof at Juve for 11 years so he'll have connections.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’m genuinely surprised that’s spurs are even interested him in at all. 

højbjerg Is better, Skipp is progressing nicely and Winks is a competent back up. What do spurs need in an other DM?

What? Spurs midfield is a black hole of talent,  højbjerg is decent, the other two are nowhere near good enough.

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Still more likely than Villa.. arguably going to spurs is the safer option for him, if he want to carry on playing European Football 

Probably, but we've already shown this window we can compete for top players so the comment didn't really make a lot of sense.

There'll always be competition for established players with pedigree, a defeatist attitude would be to say they won't come here and choose others over us, so maybe then we should go for players that nobody wants and accept mediocrity which will get us nowhere.

If we want to become a top team we have to compete with the best for signings and convince them we're a club on the up, that's just the way it is, signing players like Digne and Coutinho should make that easier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Probably, but we've already shown this window we can compete for top players so the comment didn't really make a lot of sense.

There'll always be competition for established players with pedigree, a defeatist attitude would be to say they won't come here and choose others over us, so maybe then we should go for players that nobody wants and accept mediocrity which will get us nowhere.

If we want to become a top team we have to compete with the best for signings and convince them we're a club on the up, that's just the way it is, signing players like Digne and Coutinho should make that easier. 

Because we can convince a coutinho and Digne, doesn’t mean we can convince all big players. In this case Bentancur. 

There’s others and we’ll convince them 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

We signed Coutinho, that's a bigger name than any of those players will ever be.

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's true yet many had thought (and still think) he's passed his best, we will see. Gerrard being his mate is the main reason!

Both players being older also is a major factor, they are thinking of money and playing football. Digne wanted out of Everton immediately...

Bentancur if he goes to Spurs is arguably going to play for one of the best Managers and the pull of London is massive.

As I said, signing a 24 year old as good as Bentancur was a step too far for us at this moment. 46 caps, three Serie A titles, domestic cups he basically has been playing for Juventus since he was 21 years old. He's a top player and I think many football writers were genuinely surprised Villa were within a chance of signing him as they commented how clever and adaptable a player he is.

Not trying to belittle Villa I just think we are still below the likes of Spurs for most signings.

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

As I said, signing a 24 year old as good as Bentancur was a step too far for us at this moment. 46 caps, three Serie A titles, domestic cups he basically has been playing for Juventus since he was 21 years old. He's a top player and I think many football writers were genuinely surprised Villa were within a chance of signing him as they commented how clever and adaptable a player he is.

The same Bentancur that has been consistently ridiculed by Juve fans and want him sold.  The same Bentancur whose manager wasn’t complimentary about him.  The same Bentancur that many ridiculed on here.  The same Bentancur being sold not for big money by latest reports who say €19m plus bonuses on a €3.5m a year wage which is roughly £56k per week.  Doesn’t sound like a top player to me and many poorer players play for big teams and win things.

From what I’ve seen of him which is limited it looks like he could do a job for us but let’s not pretend he’s some sort of superstar out of our league.  Also a lot of football writers haven’t thought much of him.

I think a little perspective is needed.  

Spurs are more attractive to him than us and thus he’s going there but let’s not go overboard about his talent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Awol said:

We haven’t finished in the top half of the league for a decade, that’s a simple fact. If we ignore relegation that means we’re a bottom half Premier League team, doesn’t it? 

The Gerrard connection meant Coutinho would’ve turned down anyone to sign for him, it was based entirely on their personal relationship.

Bentancur was a different case and seems to have chosen Spurs over us - I don’t buy this ‘we didn’t want him anyway’ stuff being put about. Maybe Purslow messed around trying to be clever on price and lost the deal that way, we’ll never know. Fact is by Monday he’ll have signed for Spurts, not us. 

We didn't think he was worth what they were looking for him and walked away.

Would you have preferred it if our guys had splashed out more than they thought he was worth?

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The same Bentancur that has been consistently ridiculed by Juve fans and want him sold.  The same Bentancur whose manager wasn’t complimentary about him.  The same Bentancur that many ridiculed on here.  The same Bentancur being sold not for big money by latest reports who say €19m plus bonuses on a €3.5m a year wage which is roughly £56k per week.  Doesn’t sound like a top player to me and many poorer players play for big teams and win things.

From what I’ve seen of him which is limited it looks like he could do a job for us but let’s not pretend he’s some sort of superstar out of our league.  Also a lot of football writers haven’t thought much of him.

I think a little perspective is needed.  

Spurs are more attractive to him than us and thus he’s going there but let’s not go overboard about his talent.

Juve are a bit of a bonkers example though, their fans are like Man Poo, ESL shenanigans to add....listen to what Everton fans said about Digne, Norwich fans about Buendia, it always happens.

I watched a few podcasts, read a few comparisons, even watched him play very well away to Milan. I think his achievements so far verify this, one would be foolish to think otherwise. 

Again we were probably just used to smoke out a better option for the player, we will have this problem from time to time.

I never said he was a superstar, he would have been very good for our progression though!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

We didn't think he was worth what they were looking for him and walked away.

Would you have preferred it if our guys had splashed out more than they thought he was worth?

If you believe that version of events, then no. 

I’m sceptical. 

Â