Dirty Leeds Pre Match Thread

rjw63

F*****g finally!

Has this been the longest winter/international break in history? I was starting to worry our players would be nearing retirement age.

Should be a cracker tonight, two attacking teams that will both believe they can win. This isn’t the same Leeds that came to VP last season, but they can still do some damage when on form. Raphinia being fit isn’t great for us, but I’ve got confidence in this Villa team, there’s nothing to be scared of here. 

I’m really looking forward to how Gerrard will have us performing. He’s had 2.5 weeks/12 years to get his ideas across so I’m expecting we see this team’s identity even more so than we did before. We really need this win to kick start the second half of the season, I can see a strong finish is absolutely on the cards. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

With their injury concerns we really shouldn't be getting anything other than a win. 

We have a brilliant squad now with 1 injury, we need to be winning the next 4 games if we are to be ambitious of a top half finish. 

They went and won at West Ham not long ago with a "depleted" side and fully deserved to do so, so it won't be easy.

But I agree it's a game we could do with winning to set us up for hopefully a strong finish to the season.

Tough game to call but I feel more confident in our style of play / formation under Gerrard going into this than I would have been under Smith where I felt we played into Leeds hands (particularly the home game).

No Bamford or Phillips though so that should work in our favour, though we need to keep Raphinha and Harrison quiet, match their work rate and hopefully with the likes of Buendia & Coutinho we will have that extra bit of quality.

Prediction 2-2 (hopefully we nick it)

Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Digne; Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey, Coutinho, Buendia; Watkins.

5 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

They went and won at West Ham not long ago with a "depleted" side and fully deserved to do so, so it won't be easy.

But I agree it's a game we could do with winning to set us up for hopefully a strong finish to the season.

Tough game to call but I feel more confident in our style of play / formation under Gerrard going into this than I would have been under Smith where I felt we played into Leeds hands (particularly the home game).

No Bamford or Phillips though so that should work in our favour, though we need to keep Raphinha and Harrison quiet, match their work rate and hopefully with the likes of Buendia & Coutinho we will have that extra bit of quality.

Prediction 2-2 (hopefully we nick it)

Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Digne; Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey, Coutinho, Buendia; Watkins.

They then went and lost at home to Newcastle, to be fair.

Agree though--it won't be "easy" but no game ever is.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Plays on the right. I'd fancy Cash against him, Digne less so. JJ and Doug going to need to get over on the cover to help.

Wouldn't shock me if we start Chambers at DM tbh. Given he's right sided he can drift over to help out Cash when required.

Same team as Everton I would imagine:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Digne

McGinn Luiz Ramsey

Buendia Coutinho

Watkins

Doubtful Chambers starts for me. Don't particularly like seeing Luiz as a holding mid as for me he is better box to box, but he's done ok there and his passing is much better than Chambers. If Konsa isn't 100% fit which is rumoured, then Chambers could come in for him, otherwise I think it's unchanged. 

Surprised a few have put a draw. Leeds are always a tough team to play against, but we are much stronger than earlier on in the season and given their injuries (no Bamford, no Phillips, no Firpo) nothing other than a win is acceptable. Particularly if we have designs on pushing ourselves up the table above teams like Leicester, Brighton and potentially Wolves. 

35 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

They then went and lost at home to Newcastle, to be fair.

Agree though--it won't be "easy" but no game ever is.

True 👍 Think that's why it's a difficult one to call. By all accounts Leeds should have won that (TBH though not seen any of the match).

I'd love us to smash these **** - but that goes without saying!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It doesn’t, every player has to fight for his place in the squad or first XI

That’s what Gerrard keeps saying, but most people online seem to have the same 11 (Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Digne, McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey, Buendia, Watkins, Coutinho). Late injuries could obviously bring changes.

I think the eleven picks itself:

--------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa----------Mings--------Digne

----------McGinn-------Luiz-------Ramsey----------

--------------Buendia-------Coutinho------------------

---------------------------Watkins---------------------------

Bench will be interesting:

Olsen, Hause, Chambers, Young, Sanson, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbanum, Ings.....and one.

If we assume that Bailey isn't fit, then unless I've forgotten someone (which lets face it is more than possible) that "one" will be an interesting choice - with no Traore or Nakamba, Targett and Trezeguet both gone and Archer, JPB, Davis and Kesler-Hayden all out on loan, it's likely we'll see someone step up. Feeney made the bench recently but with Chambers now in I don't think it'll be him - maybe a choice between O'Reilly and Chrisene - if it is, I'd like to see Chrisene.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It doesn’t, every player has to fight for his place in the squad or first XI

They do need to fight for their place, but providing they do, then the eleven best ones will win out and we have eleven that are generally speaking better than those they keep out of the side.

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the eleven picks itself:

--------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa----------Mings--------Digne

----------McGinn-------Luiz-------Ramsey----------

--------------Buendia-------Coutinho------------------

---------------------------Watkins---------------------------

Bench will be interesting:

Olsen, Hause, Chambers, Young, Sanson, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbanum, Ings.....and one.

If we assume that Bailey isn't fit, then unless I've forgotten someone (which lets face it is more than possible) that "one" will be an interesting choice - with no Traore or Nakamba, Targett and Trezeguet both gone and Archer, JPB, Davis and Kesler-Hayden all out on loan, it's likely we'll see someone step up. Feeney made the bench recently but with Chambers now in I don't think it'll be him - maybe a choice between O'Reilly and Chrisene - if it is, I'd like to see Chrisene.

Pretty sure that will be the team too and makes sense - that is our best team currently.

As much as it's nice seeing youngsters in the squad, it will be great to have Bailey and Traore back to give us more depth and genuine options up top.

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

As much as it's nice seeing youngsters in the squad, it will be great to have Bailey and Traore back to give us more depth and genuine options up top.

A bench of Olsen, Hause, Chambers, Young, Sanson, Chukwuemeka, Bailey, Traore and Ings will look pretty tasty!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

With their injury concerns we really shouldn't be getting anything other than a win. 

We have a brilliant squad now with 1 injury, we need to be winning the next 4 games if we are to be ambitious of a top half finish. 

We should win, but we need to be careful of going Gung ho...... we have to respect them, without being in awe....They do have the ability to open teams up.

twice now, they have scored 3 at Villa Park, we need to be mindful of that, without being overly cautious.

We need to win second balls and press without the ball, we need to get after them, and then play football, when the initiative has been won.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1