Lucas Digne

villan-scott

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

That the guy that played for Boro?

Yep same guy. Had a fine little career for himself as a player, but I guess he has really found his calling as an agent - considering he negotiated Dignes wages😜

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Credit to him for his last two performances but it’s worth considering how weak and ineffective the opposition were and how much space he was afforded… he has played well and contributed, no doubt about that and well done to him. Has helped the team in a time of need…

But, imagine Moreno playing in those games, running riot and causing havoc.

He was far from the worst player vs Newcastle. So it would be interesting to see how he does against someone like Liverpool if he can keep this form going…

He’s played fairly well but hardly ever really impressed or justified the outlay on him.

This is the problem… the stupidity of Purslow and Gerrard to sign him for £25m and give him a five year contract at anywhere ranging £120-165k per week is maddening!

His contract expires in 2026! He is 30…

That’s the main problem here… the financial side, length of contract and it only gets more difficult to shift him as he gets older…

If he was on a shorter and more moderate contract, say it was 75k or so and expired after next season (when we could offer a renewal at a reduced rate if we wanted to keep him around or otherwise just send him on his way) then there would barely ever have been any complaints or concerns…

In terms of criticising him or wanting him sold, it’s got nothing to do with Gerrard and it’s really silly to even suggest that…

He’ll never be first choice and isn’t a preferred player of Unai’s (doesn’t fit into his preferred style and system as a first choice or important player).

I don’t think anyone has a personal problem with him (he’s a good pro and a fine player, just not exceptional and he arguably should be for what we invested in him)… but it’s not sensible or sustainable to have reserve players being paid (and paid for) so handsomely and for so long…

Even if he sticks around… he’s not going to displace a fit and firing Moreno or any other player that Unai himself chooses and signs…

the main problem is fans get overly concerned with this and use it as a stick to beat him with rather than just enjoying football

all of this is a "problem" for monchi and unai, not us

Edited by villa4europe

I'm a defender of Digne. I think he gets a really tough time from Villa fans for a player who's extremely competent.

However I wouldn't be too quick to fawn over him for yesterday's performance.

Don't get me wrong, he was excellent. But he had the complete freedom of the park down that left hand side. I reckon Alan Hutton could have put the microphone down and stuck his boots on and looked like Roberto Carlos out there last night

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the main problem is fans get overly concerned with this and use it as a stick to beat him with rather than just enjoying football

all of this is a "problem" for monchi and unai, not us

How true is this though? How much major criticism or “hatred” does he actually get?

Just for example, I’ve tried to highlight his limitations as well as the financial aspect without shitting on him or deriding him. The player can still be given credit while wanting him replaced… is this not a bit overblown? I’ve not seen much “stick beating” or personal abuse/hatred for him… just jokes about his wages 😆

I mean, there is a reason why he is being linked away and is not a first choice player, that’s nothing to do with us fans and shows that he is not considered a key or important player by Unai - isn’t that enough for us to get behind his potential sale rather than question it and disagree with the manager? Which people are entitled to do of course or question/debate but still… if he’s not as wanted or desired as a few people would like, there’s a reason.

And if Unai decides to retain him… that will be backed and endorsed too. I’m encouraged by his recent form and hope he can take it forward into tougher games… it will only benefit us for now.

As for fan concern… I don’t think there’s any problem at all with fans being interested and concerned about the state of the club, it’s finances, our sustainability and overall stability - if anything, it’s another form of support and investment. I don’t know why people have a problem with those that are interested and even concerned by that aspect. Just live and let live… each to their own.

Retaining aging reserve players on fat contracts hinders our ability to bring in more and better players… I think that’s a valid and reasonable concern.

Many people seem to forget the mistakes this club has made in the past (others are scarred by it and can’t let go of the negativity, others have a more balanced view and so on…) and how other clubs have risked it all and failed in that sense too…

I’m sure no one wants us to take on heavy financial burdens that hinder our abilities in other ways and limit our actions/activities such as bringing in other players of Unai’s choosing…

As you say, it’s a problem for Unai and Monchi - why can’t it be a “problem” or issue for some fans? What’s wrong with taking an interest or having a similar concern on those things?

I find it quite irresponsible and careless when people say “it’s not my money” when moves are made or links are created… don’t forget how we struggled under Lerner after blowing our load and being reckless, how the future of this club was at major risk after Xia did much the same and we wasted millions on absolute crap in the Championship and risked it all…

I want us to have a bright and fruitful future… long term stability, progress and success… something that LASTS… with Unai at the helm for ages…

Why is anyone being criticised for being concerned or interested in how our club is being run and it’s future prospects…?

Each to their own…

8 minutes ago, macandally said:

Do people not get why Emery has one marauding FB on the left and one holding?

Uanai sets up to create that massive space down the left, it’s the bloody tactic!  What you cannot do is then beat the player up for exploiting the space Emery has specifically set up to create!

Both Moreno and now Digne benefit from it,l!  The mind boggles! 🙄

Who is beating him up?

Again, this is massively overblown.

There is very little actual “hate” for the player…

Just concerns over the financial aspect, his age, what we do going forwards (harder to relieve ourselves of it as seasons go by, if there’s an opportunity to let him go then maybe we should consider it - who knows if it will come again? As an example, we could have sold Davis for 10-15m not long ago, now he’s off for 1m), how different he is to Moreno and is not massively favoured by Unai.

He’s done well recently and it will be good to see him continue to do thay… but if Unai wants him replaced… then I’m on board.

If he stays and keeps contributing, that’s great too… but we still have to find a solution at some point…

-

As for anyone saying we are overestimating or overrating Moreno… I think the impact he had on this team and the abilities he showed have been forgotten. Watch him when he returns and how much better of a side we will look… he’s an Unai player, Digne isn’t by the looks and sounds of it…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, macandally said:

Do people not get why Emery has one marauding FB on the left and one holding?

Uanai sets up to create that massive space down the left, it’s the bloody tactic!  What you cannot do is then beat the player up for exploiting the space Emery has specifically set up to create!

Both Moreno and now Digne benefit from it,l!  The mind boggles! 🙄

Who's beating him up for exploiting the space?

For all the lack of quality in Everton and Hibs, a lot of the space Digne has been getting is also down to Diaby/Bailey worrying teams and defenders having to track them, leaving Digne with the freedom to cross. Will be a problem for a lot of sides. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Who is beating him up?

Again, this is massively overblown.

There is very little actual “hate” for the player…

Just concerns over the financial aspect, his age, what we do going forwards (harder to relieve ourselves of it as seasons go by, if there’s an opportunity to let him go then maybe we should consider it - who knows if it will come again? As an example, we could have sold Davis for 10-15m not long ago, now he’s off for 1m), how different he is to Moreno and is not massively favoured by Unai.

He’s done well recently and it will be good to see him continue to do thay… but if Unai wants him replaced… then I’m on board.

If he stays and keeps contributing, that’s great too… but we still have to find a solution at some point…

-

As for anyone saying we are overestimating or overrating Moreno… I think the impact he had on this team and the abilities he showed have been forgotten. Watch him when he returns and how much better of a side we will look… he’s an Unai player, Digne isn’t by the looks and sounds of it…

It's not so much a solution as a decision. If he carries on this sort of form, then the decision is easy - keep him and let him continue making hay.

Just now, lexicon said:

It's not so much a solution as a decision. If he carries on this sort of form, then the decision is easy - keep him and let him continue making hay.

Whatever Unai wants 👍

Don’t have much more to say on this.

It’s so pleasing to see him get so much more out of these players than anyone beforehand…

He should be free to bring in whoever he wants though…Moreno has been class, such a dangerous player for us and should be back soon - heard he’s back in training this week (podcast).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Emery's tactic is asymmetric.  Left full back bombs forward, right full back tucks in. Wide left midfielder tucks in and the wide forward on the right pulls wide.

Not to dissimilar to how Wenger had Arsenal playing when he first took over. He used the same tactic in central midfield. Petit got forward, Viera stayed back. And vice versa. Dixon got forward, Winterburn tucked in, and likewise.

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Who's beating him up for exploiting the space?

Did you read the previous posts or just mine?  Apparently he can only do it against crap teams like Everton and Hibs “where he has loads of space”

3 hours ago, DeepDish said:

I think people are overestimating Moreno’s capabilities. I love Moreno, but it really isn’t that big difference between the two players in quality. Though they have different qualities.

Agreed in a sense.

However, if you watch some of Morenos " Best bits " for us, you will realise how important he is at bamboozling opposition from the left with pace and trickery.

If you need a player to force the issue with a stubborn defence, he is that player.

He also made some crucial last ditch tackles to save us points, which his pace also allows him to do.

Against alot of opposition in the PL, crosses get cut out, ala Digne.

Though if he is as pinpoint as he has been recently it doesn't even matter.

Â