Lucas Digne

villan-scott

Just now, Adam2003 said:

A good reminder that it’s a POSITIVE to have ‘expensive’, experienced players in the squad even if they aren’t the expected starter at that current time. 

It is, for sure, but we are overpaying for the privilege in his case. Still, he looked excellent, and the competition at left back is clearly a good thing.

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That's why having two quality players in each position is a bonus.

Whenever we have a player come in, who does well in a position, alot of our fans are ready to sell whoever was in their place immediately.

They are different types of player, with different qualities which might suit different games and scenarios etc.

Digne is only one people want to sell,  due to him being the highest earner at the club and not being 1st choice.

Same with Bailey, he is in the top 5 paid players at the club and has been off form or injured for 75% of the time he has been at the club.

If we had bigger income and were not as restricted financially, which effects future signings, I doubt people would be bothered and more than happy at them being squad players.

As mentioned in the Brentford thread, digne coming on was the reason we scraped a point and should have got a freekick which would then mean the player would have had to have been given a 2nd yellow and the ref didn't want to send him off. Ignore it and var can't intervene for a yellow.

• Like 1

Digne is not the highest earner. He’s a great rotation option to have given his experience. Yes, we overpaid for him at the time nor should he be scapegoated for the failures of Gerrard. I don't know if he's going to be here in the summer, but if Unai rates him and wants to keep him, that's good enough for me. 

• Like 4

Â